Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector Wire and Conduit Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So 2 of these

Inside this

Using this to ground

does it matter what material the conduit is made of. I’m not sure if the conduit I linked is armored of just plastic

TIA!
I am planning to use the same wire, but since 100% of my run is enclosed in walls and joist space I am not using the conduit as it traps and focuses heat. Since 94% of my entire run will be enclosed in an air-filled space and my RED and BLK are separated by ~2", my ampacity is at least 25A to 30A higher, according to the Canadian Electrical Code Table 1 and 2. The conductors are THWN 90 but I am not sure what the Tesla Gen 3 is rated for terminal temperature. I guess the rating on the unit might be ambient (-30C to +50C), but if it is the maximum terminal temperature I still make 60A ampacity with #6 conductors. It is interesting that the Tesla wire box diagram shows a temperature sensor. Would this be providing thermal shutdown protection?

First, it sounds like you don’t fully understand the ampacity tables. Does Canadian electrical code allow for thhn/thwn to be run in wall with no protection? In wall has to have some type of exterior protection whether conduit or shielding. Call an electrician for a quote. They will quote the minimum to meet code then you should copy that. It will at least be romex or some other shielded cable if not thhn/thwn in conduit

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I am planning to use the same wire, but since 100% of my run is enclosed in walls and joist space I am not using the conduit as it traps and focuses heat. Since 94% of my entire run will be enclosed in an air-filled space and my RED and BLK are separated by ~2", my ampacity is at least 25A to 30A higher, according to the Canadian Electrical Code Table 1 and 2. The conductors are THWN 90 but I am not sure what the Tesla Gen 3 is rated for terminal temperature. I guess the rating on the unit might be ambient (-30C to +50C), but if it is the maximum terminal temperature I still make 60A ampacity with #6 conductors. It is interesting that the Tesla wire box diagram shows a temperature sensor. Would this be providing thermal shutdown protection?
As long as you use a 60A breaker and 4ga or smaller wires the Gen3 will be fine. It is rated to handle a 60A circuit so you don’t need to worry about the temperature rating of the unit. Those are just for wiring.

Midnightnsun has good advice, please follow it to prevent your house from burning down.

Being located in Canada, use Romex NMD90 6 gauge 2 conductor as this is what you need inside walls/enclosures. For whatever reason, Canadian standards are not the same as US or the insulation/protective cover is better in Canada as our Romex NMD90 6 gauge is rated at 75A. https://ecat.eleknet.com/PIM_Docs/Docs/STEP_ASSETS_PDF/13560567.pdf
Thank you Mrbrock, you and Midnightnsun were correct that T90 is only approved for raceways and conduit. (Table 19) NMD90 6/2 (the Southwire product in your link) was what I was trying to buy, but I couldn't find anyone in Canada that would sell me anything close to 8 meters (27').

HD in Buffalo NY sells NM-B 90 6/2 in length multiples of 25'. It is the same manufacturer (Southwire) but is it the same product and approved in Canada?

First, it sounds like you don’t fully understand the ampacity tables. Does Canadian electrical code allow for thhn/thwn to be run in wall with no protection? In wall has to have some type of exterior protection whether conduit or shielding. Call an electrician for a quote. They will quote the minimum to meet code then you should copy that. It will at least be romex or some other shielded cable if not thhn/thwn in conduit

Thank you Mrbrock, you and Midnightnsun were correct that T90 is only approved for raceways and conduit. (Table 19) NMD90 6/2 (the Southwire product in your link) was what I was trying to buy, but I couldn't find anyone in Canada that would sell me anything close to 8 meters (27').

HD in Buffalo NY sells NM-B 90 6/2 in length multiples of 25'. It is the same manufacturer (Southwire) but is it the same product and approved in Canada?
The Southwire ROMEX NM-B 6/2 (sold in USA) has thinner insulation and jacket and is only rated for 55A while the Southwire ROMEX NMD90 6/2 is rated for 75A.

but I am not sure what the Tesla Gen 3 is rated for terminal temperature.
A lot of people are mentioning wire and cable types that have 90 degree C ratings. I thought I would clear up this question that relates to a lot of that. You will not be able to use the amp levels listed for the 90 degree C rating. The wire lugs in any of the Tesla wall connectors, as well as any receptacles you might want to use, and residential breaker types are all only 75 degree C ratings. It's only very industrial things that have 90 degree rated lugs. So keep in mind that the 75 degree ratings is as high as you will be able to use.

A lot of people are mentioning wire and cable types that have 90 degree C ratings. I thought I would clear up this question that relates to a lot of that. You will not be able to use the amp levels listed for the 90 degree C rating. The wire lugs in any of the Tesla wall connectors, as well as any receptacles you might want to use, and residential breaker types are all only 75 degree C ratings. It's only very industrial things that have 90 degree rated lugs. So keep in mind that the 75 degree ratings is as high as you will be able to use.
Good thing MC-Cable is rated for 65A @70C. And good information to know. Sounds like @CharlieWeaver needs 6ga MC cable (which is THHN in MC) or 6ga THHN in conduit. The only option for NM-B is 4ga which is only available in 4/3 and is way more expensive than the other two options ($4/ft vs $15/ft).

Good thing MC-Cable is rated for 65A @70C. And good information to know. Sounds like @CharlieWeaver needs 6ga MC cable (which is THHN in MC) or 6ga THHN in conduit. The only option for NM-B is 4ga which is only available in 4/3 and is way more expensive than the other two options ($4/ft vs $15/ft).
Yes, I think it's @jcanoe I see recommending that metal clad cable frequently, because it does have a higher current rating than the Romex, so the 6 gauge can meet a 60A rating nicely.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Yes, I think it's @jcanoe I see recommending that metal clad cable frequently, because it does have a higher current rating than the Romex, so the 6 gauge can meet a 60A rating nicely.
$3.34/ft for 2x 6ga and 1x 8ga THHN from HD by-the-foot. 3/4" PVC conduit is $1.01/ft plus any corners or bends needed. MC seems like the cheaper option here if that is the main goal. Also might be easier to work with since it is preloaded, just order slightly longer and cut to length.

Conduit does not trap and focus heat. It allows better cooling than the alternative of using non-metallic (NM) sheathed cable. NM cable is derated to the 60C equivalent, despite using insulation that would otherwise have a 90C rating, because the tight PVC sheath insulates more than the loose fit in conduit. That's true even if the conduit is also PVC.

Separating the conductors in the run, even by only 2", is a bad idea. Besides the inevitable code issues, it creates a potential problem with magnetic fields and radiating electrical noise. Stray magnetic fields might not be as obvious now that CRTs are obsolete, but they can still cause problems.

Hello,
I have 6 3 wire that was running a hot tub on 50A 240V circuit breaker. I repurposed the line and run it to my garage where I plan to install gen 3 Tesla wall charger. Question: I am going to use hots (red black) plus ground wires. Can I use the unshielded ground wire or should I use white wire and mark it ground (green)

Hello,
I have 6 3 wire that was running a hot tub on 50A 240V circuit breaker. I repurposed the line and run it to my garage where I plan to install gen 3 Tesla wall charger. Question: I am going to use hots (red black) plus ground wires. Can I use the unshielded ground wire or should I use white wire and mark it ground (green)
I used the white as ground and marked it green.

Hello,
As long as the white wire isn't shared with any other circuits as a common neutral. The HPWC will sort out if it works or not. If it throws a fault, then more may be involved but it should be ok.

Hello,
Just curious, why would you want to use the white wire rather than the intended bare ground wire?

Can I use the unshielded ground wire or should I use white wire and mark it ground (green)
I would not complicate that by using a wire that's not normally used as a ground. That's a thing you can do if you need to, but I wouldn't confuse it by doing that when it's not needed. Cap the white wire because you're not using neutral, and use the ground wire as ground like it normally should be.