Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector wont stop broadcasting SSID...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone used laid sharing? The reason I ask is that my MY is due soon and we have a M3 and no room on our breaker panel for another charger, a fact I didn’t know until after I purchased the second charger
Yup. Works great (besides having *two* chargers now blasting their SSIDs which is why I am here hoping someone has a fix). I just ran #6 wire from the first charger over to the second and followed the configuration instructions. The only hiccup I ran into was one refused to update its firmware to the latest automatically (which I needed for the load sharing) but I found instructions online for manually downloading and updating and that worked.

I have another issue with it broadcasting all the time -- the signal is causing interference with my Ring security camera causing it to freeze up. Got to find some way to9 turn it off!
Hum - didn't make the connection until your post - WC was installed and commissioned last night - no problems there - that went great, but the 3 ring cams closest to the garage started acting up last night - they've all worked flawlessly until... coincidence?
Regardless - IMHO - unless load sharing or some other feature that uses wireless comms is active it should not be broadcasting unless placed into config mode by power-cycling or 5sec button press.

no room on our breaker panel

You can likely make room, if you want too. You can use Tandem breakers to consolidate 15- or 20-amp breakers:

They also make quads like this one (two single pole 20-amp + a dual pole 50-amp in two slots)

Even if communicating for load sharing, there is no reason to continue broadcasting after setup. It is only needed for discovery - and not really even then. If you know the SSID, it doesn't even need to broadcast during setup. I think this is a serious security issue. Allows anyone with a smartphone to cruise around and find out everyone who owns a Tesla charger.
Hum - didn't make the connection until your post - WC was installed and commissioned last night - no problems there - that went great, but the 3 ring cams closest to the garage started acting up last night - they've all worked flawlessly until... coincidence?
Regardless -
IMHO - unless load sharing or some other feature that uses wireless comms is active it should not be broadcasting unless placed into config mode by power-cycling or 5sec button press.

• Love
Reactions: Art VandeIay
Allows anyone with a smartphone to cruise around and find out everyone who owns a Tesla charger.

Totally agree, this is totally unnecessary. Just FYI that even with SSID broadcast turned off:

“Any hacker with a simple network sniffing tool can find out your SSID in seconds, even if you are not broadcasting it. Free tools such as xxx, xxx, xxx and many others will quickly find out the SSID, channel, security protocol, and other information.”

Reactions: TjckTock
Totally agree, this is totally unnecessary. Just FYI that even with SSID broadcast turned off:

“Any hacker with a simple network sniffing tool can find out your SSID in seconds, even if you are not broadcasting it. Free tools such as xxx, xxx, xxx and many others will quickly find out the SSID, channel, security protocol, and other information.”
Good point. My concern is not so much hackers, though, but rather I don't need all the friends visiting my neighbors kids seeing those when they are trying to hook up to the wifi. Maybe Tesla is doing it as a form of free advertising but I deliberately try to *not* advertise the contents of my home.

Good point. My concern is not so much hackers, though, but rather I don't need all the friends visiting my neighbors kids seeing those when they are trying to hook up to the wifi. Maybe Tesla is doing it as a form of free advertising but I deliberately try to *not* advertise the contents of my home.

Do you only drive your car to / from your house under cover of darkness? (kidding)

If you would really cancel your order over something this trivial then you should not be driving a Tesla. If you are not someone who considers himself to be a early adopter, and willing to accept what that means, then stay far away from Tesla - you wlll not be happy.

This is annoying! I agree with the spectrum usage and the security comments. I’ve been thinking that maybe I can wrap it with some RF blocking mesh, maybe a Mylar bag lol. I know it’s gonna take away from its elegance, but I have no need for load sharing or an SSID blasting away 24/7.

Just today I finished the install + commissioning of my Gen 3 wall connector and can confirm the same behavior - the SSID continues to broadcast.

I was initially confused as the documentation states different behavior (stop broadcasting after 5 minutes) so I was concerned something was wrong with my device.

I’m glad to find this thread as it put my mind to ease (as far as my device is acting) but I will agree in that the wall connector shouldn’t need to behave the way it currently does - it’s totally unnecessary.

My wall connector updated to firmware version 21.36.5 and I see 21.36.6 available to perform a manual update. Are release notes for the firmware available?

Surely (hopefully)Tesla will revert this (bad) decision soon.

Surely (hopefully)Tesla will revert this (bad) decision soon.

Just wanted to let you guys know that my Gen3 Wall Connector updated to Firmware 22.7.0 on June 3rd, and this software version stops broadcasting the SSID after 15 minutes if you have the Load Sharing feature off... just as it should!!!! :D

Hopefully Tesla doesn't mess this up again on newer software updates! #FingersCrossed

Just wanted to let you guys know that my Gen3 Wall Connector updated to Firmware 22.7.0 on June 3rd, and this software version stops broadcasting the SSID after 15 minutes if you have the Load Sharing feature off... just as it should!!!! :D

Hopefully Tesla doesn't mess this up again on newer software updates! #FingersCrossed

Thanks for this. I had just resigned myself to this story state and hadn't even noticed that it had updated itself. I just checked and the SSID isn't being broadcast, and it reports "{"firmware_version":"22.7.0+gbc6c1736fa3426",...".

Reactions: Art VandeIay