Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most manufacturers offer a 125 amp breaker option, some even go higher. I have 150 amp breakers going to my garage subpanels.

In your situation it probably makes sense to put in a 125A circuit to the sub instead of 100, and then you can put two 60A breakers in, one per car and not worry about load sharing. That allows you to run the Gen 3 station and a https://evcharging.enelx.com/store/residential/juicebox-48, 48A OpenEVSE or any other number of 48A stations.

That should give you max flexibility for two vehicles over the long haul.
I really do want whatever charger solution I go with to be the same for both evses so I don’t have to hack together integration twice... maybe I should just do OpenEVSE, and put a Tesla plug on one... HPWC seems like the “right” solution still. I know the gen2 worked just fine with a standard J1772 end on, so would be surprised if the gen3 is any different. Guess I just have to see if I can live with the 18ft cord...

Like this?

Yes! Great find :) Conversion seems pretty straight forward, and you can definitely add your own (longer) cable.

Seems you could also chop off the Tesla connector and use the built in cord, but that would make it even shorter and render the existing Tesla plug (mostly) useless unless there is a way to dis-assemble them that I don't know about. Ideally, it seems you would use a cable with some extra wires so you can put the the thermistor in the J1772 handle like Tesla does with theirs.. not a big deal to add it to the HPWC body or use a resistor bypass though.

Reactions: kayak1
Yes! Great find :) Conversion seems pretty straight forward, and you can definitely add your own (longer) cable.

Seems you could also chop off the Tesla connector and use the built in cord, but that would make it even shorter and render the existing Tesla plug (mostly) useless unless there is a way to dis-assemble them that I don't know about. Ideally, it seems you would use a cable with some extra wires so you can put the the thermistor in the J1772 handle like Tesla does with theirs.. not a big deal to add it to the HPWC body or use a resistor bypass though.

I had to dig around for a bit to find it, but that video is by user @Sorensen here on TMC. I found it in this thread: #22

/edit. If you end up removing your Tesla cord from the HPWC to swap on a J1772, let me know, I need to replace one of the cords on my HPWC and will buy it off you.

Reactions: appleguru
Got an interesting destination charging email regarding Gen3 HPWC today. Most of this I knew but is the ability to charge users for power something that’s been talked about?
IMG_8671.jpeg

Hi Everyone!

I'm a newbie with some hopefully not too dumb questions.

My question is a follows using these assumptions:
The person is connected to the grid
The person has solar panels
The person has Powerwalls and Tesla Wall chargers.
The person has a Tesla vehicle.

Is it possible for the person to choose where the power for charging their vehicle comes from?

I’m thinking that there will probably be times where a person would want to have their solar panels charging the Powerwalls and they wouldn’t want their Tesla vehicle to be using that power. They would want the vehicle to be charged from the grid. There would probably be other times where there would be no problem if the vehicle was getting charged from the Powerwalls.

Thanks

Hi Everyone!

Is it possible for the person to choose where the power for charging their vehicle comes from?

I’m thinking that there will probably be times where a person would want to have their solar panels charging the Powerwalls and they wouldn’t want their Tesla vehicle to be using that power. They would want the vehicle to be charged from the grid. There would probably be other times where there would be no problem if the vehicle was getting charged from the Powerwalls.

Thanks
No, none of that is possible. Let's simplify this by thinking of it another way. The wall connector is just an appliance. So think about it as if you're talking about your oven. Do you get to choose where the energy comes from when you turn on your oven? No. You don't get to choose what source it comes from.

There is I think a tiny bit more flexibility with the other end of it. The house/grid/batteries are an interconnected pool of energy, and I think there may be a couple of modes you can choose from with how and when the batteries refill from solar or the grid, but there might not even be a choice there--I don't have experience with those. My setup at home is simple grid-tied solar without batteries, so I don't get any options.

Hi Everyone!

Thanks

While you can't choose where a specific appliance gets it's power as Rocky mentioned, there are things you can do to customize beyond what Tesla offers.

I didn't like the options given in the Tesla app and have a smartthings hub so was able to download a powerwall manager to help customize the behavior. Our peak is from 2pm - 8pm weekdays and off peak is 10pm - 8am. My goal is to only take power from the grid in that off peak 10pm - 8am period while selling as much solar as I can during peak 2pm - 8pm on weekdays. The car is set to charge during off peak.

With the manager I'm able to change powerwall settings on a schedule which I have set as follows:
8am - Self Powered, Disable stormwatch (this turns off the grid and any excess solar goes to the batteries)
2pm (weekdays) - Time Based (this sends all solar to the grid and runs the house off battery)
10pm - Self Powered, Enable stormwatch (this still continues to run the house off battery)

However when the car starts charging it'll drain the batteries down to the reserve limit of 20% every night so I set a trigger to change the settings back to Time Based if the powerwalls get below 40% during the off peak 10pm - 8am period. This allows the car to use some of the powerwall energy and if we're having cloudy days the normal daytime operation can get down to 20%. If I didn't drive anywhere it stays on self powered and we stay off grid all night.

Really wish the Tesla app had enough controls to do this natively.

Reactions: Rocky_H
No, none of that is possible. Let's simplify this by thinking of it another way. The wall connector is just an appliance. So think about it as if you're talking about your oven. Do you get to choose where the energy comes from when you turn on your oven? No. You don't get to choose what source it comes from.

There is I think a tiny bit more flexibility with the other end of it. The house/grid/batteries are an interconnected pool of energy, and I think there may be a couple of modes you can choose from with how and when the batteries refill from solar or the grid, but there might not even be a choice there--I don't have experience with those. My setup at home is simple grid-tied solar without batteries, so I don't get any options.
Thanks for the response!

While you can't choose where a specific appliance gets it's power as Rocky mentioned, there are things you can do to customize beyond what Tesla offers.

I didn't like the options given in the Tesla app and have a smartthings hub so was able to download a powerwall manager to help customize the behavior. Our peak is from 2pm - 8pm weekdays and off peak is 10pm - 8am. My goal is to only take power from the grid in that off peak 10pm - 8am period while selling as much solar as I can during peak 2pm - 8pm on weekdays. The car is set to charge during off peak.

With the manager I'm able to change powerwall settings on a schedule which I have set as follows:
8am - Self Powered, Disable stormwatch (this turns off the grid and any excess solar goes to the batteries)
2pm (weekdays) - Time Based (this sends all solar to the grid and runs the house off battery)
10pm - Self Powered, Enable stormwatch (this still continues to run the house off battery)

However when the car starts charging it'll drain the batteries down to the reserve limit of 20% every night so I set a trigger to change the settings back to Time Based if the powerwalls get below 40% during the off peak 10pm - 8am period. This allows the car to use some of the powerwall energy and if we're having cloudy days the normal daytime operation can get down to 20%. If I didn't drive anywhere it stays on self powered and we stay off grid all night.

Really wish the Tesla app had enough controls to do this natively.
Thanks Mokuzai.

It looks like, in addition to the Wall Charger circuit, I might have to look into having a separate circuit ran that's not part of the panel which is connected to the PW's. That way I could control which power (grid or solar) is used to charge the vehicle. Hopefully I don't run into 1 or more brick walls. :)

So much bullshit in one post it’s hard to know where to begin. Cable wimpy and short? It’s properly sized, and comes in a 24’ length. Might test the G3 at 277 for laughs? The spec is 200-240 on the spect sheet in the immediately preceding post. Why put a disconnect at an AC unit? Because it’s ****ing code.
440.14 Location. Disconnecting means shall be located within sight from and readily accessible from the air- conditioning or refrigerating equipment. The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be installed on or within the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment.

I’m done with arguing on these points:
1. Follow Manufacturers’ installation requirements
2. Follow the NEC. Almost all situations are covered.
3. When there’s any bit of gray area after consulting 1 and 2, contact your local AHJ for their guidance.

If anyone wants to ignore advice on any of those, feel free to go ahead. Happy to discuss any specific install questions or offer advice on that, but not going to argue points 1-3 anymore.

It's sort of pointless since I installed the Gen 3 wall connector at home and it failed in under 3 days. The junction of the cable to handle overheats at current as low as 24a. After multiple phone calls, a case number, two promises for an RMA and address, Tesla still won't honor their warranty for a known factory defect. True story. How do you get Tesla to warranty it? I have no more hours to waste on it.

The current (har) Gen 2 Instructions DO NOT say it can be run at 277 vac 1ph. They removed that. I called tech support and they say it works, but they don't officially support 277 anymore.

PS - My G2 is still running on 277 with no hiccups EXCEPT it can sometimes trip the Solar Edge Inverter protection due to the rapid single pole pull down. The trick to avoid it is to first set it to ~24 amps, let charge for a minute, then ramp it up to 42 (max on 277).

You're welcome Dr. Expert Sir.