Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Gen 3 Wall Connector will support Power Sharing with up to 16 units.

I can see this being very beneficial for building out Destination Charging - during our trip to Wisconsin last month the hotel we stayed at in Oklahoma City had a number of Teslas rotate overnight thru their 3 chargers.

Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.png

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
New Gen 3 Wall Connector will support Power Sharing with up to 16 units.

I can see this being very beneficial for building out Destination Charging - during our trip to Wisconsin last month the hotel we stayed at in Oklahoma City had a number of Teslas rotate overnight thru their 3 chargers.

View attachment 500539

LOL, I made a similar post recently. I believe it will simplify load sharing between wall chargers.

Very cool.

It's for sale right now: Wall Connector

I like the new styling, but I don't see any reason to upgrade from a 24' Gen 2 connector. At this point I'm not sure what advantages the WiFi offer, can't the current connectors loadshare via a physical connection?

No need to upgrade. The wifi connectivity will provide firmware updated and assist/simplify in load sharing. Per the manual, a "Maximum number of Wall Connectors for power sharing is 16."

Potentially it may be used for vehicle to grid (V2G) application with a Tesla Powerwall and gateway.

Last edited:
I like the new styling, but I don't see any reason to upgrade from a 24' Gen 2 connector. At this point I'm not sure what advantages the WiFi offer, can't the current connectors loadshare via a physical connection?

I wouldn't upgrade if you already having something installed. Main benefit is significantly more units with Power Sharing (I think it was 4 max for Gen 2) and a simpler installation (WiFi eliminates the communication wires needed between each unit for Gen 2 power sharing).

I'm assuming these are backwards compatible? I have one wall charger and thinking of getting a second but obviously need to physically connect them for communications. Wonder if you make the wifi one the master if the gen 2 unit can benefit from the wifi capabilities.

I'm disappointed it's only 48A max, since I can use 72A for my 2017 X. The 18' cord would be OK for me, but that's 6' shorter. Seems like they cheaped out a bit, though appropriately for the cars they're selling now.
I think this is an obvious nail in the coffin for the idea that higher amperage chargers are coming back any time soon.

Big benefit is not needing to run #3 wiring to each of the daisy-chained wall chargers in a non-standard arrangement (through junction box) vs appropriately sized #6 (for 48A continuous) in standard black-black-white-green wiring. White isn't needed but good to run for future optionality.

This was exactly what I was looking for - run a 100A subpanel to the garage, then 2-3 wall chargers, each on a 60A breaker, and intelligently sharing the max 80A continuous that comes to the subpanel. As it is, I ended up with 2 Gen 2 wall chargers, run with #6 wire, one on a 60A breaker and one on a 40A breaker, since I didn't want to run #3 to the chargers and also wanted to preserve the ability to swap them out for 14-50's when I move.

The 18’ cable is kind of a head scratcher. Most garages are around 20’ deep so you could install the 24’ connector on either wall and still reach the charge port whether the car is backed in or head in.
I would think to reach another car. We have two installed and have two long cables in case one dies we can charge the other car. How often do you park the ‘other’ way? Long cable also useful for reaching a car out in the driveway if you have your WCs at the door end of the garage, also.

• Informative
New charger looks great. The idea of never having to run 3AWG wire (or even 2AWG for longer runs) sound amazing for electricians. I think this was a smart move on Tesla's part, looks a little easier to install and doesn't seem to have the dip switches which were always a pain. I'd like to know more about the network part and if the network fails does that affect the charging. The last thing I need is call-backs for customers wifi issues.

I live in Italy and was just about to order a Gen 2 wall charger when I saw that the new gen 3 model had come out. However, after reading the specs, I have some concerns. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I recently upgraded my house mains to 3 phase (240v) in anticipation of installing an EV charger that would at least support the the 11.5Kw max. charge rate of the Tesla Model 3/Y and ideally 22KW. I had ordered a Tesla Model 3 but am now likely to buy a Model Y instead. I run an AirBnb vacation house and a key priority is having a destination charging service for my guests with any Electric car (All are type 2 in EU) as well as for charging my own Tesla. Here are my concerns:

1. The new wall charger states compatible with Tesla Model S/X/3, but not model Y. Is this just an oversight or will there be a compatibility issue with the Model Y?
2. The manual (US model only available now) states that the Gen 3 charger is single phase only. Is this just a US thing, or has the 3 phase connectivity been removed from the EU versions?
3. The EU installation model (Gen 2 only available now) states that for the 240v 3 phase configuration, "Note: This configuration should only be used with Tesla vehicles." Can anyone confirm if this is the case? I understood that if it has a type 2 connector then it should charge any EV with the same connector.

I had looked other EV wall chargers on the market, but decided to go with Tesla due to brand reputation and confidence that documentation will be in the local language for the electrician who does not speak any English. However, if this won't work with other EVs then it wouldn't work as a generic chargers for my guests.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated :)

I saw the schematic of the TM3's charger once and there were three rectifier inputs, the person who was showing those to me commented that here in the states we don't use the third one. I am not sure how they are wired thru the J1772 but it did look like it could handle 3 phase AC. Perhaps not all EVs have this capability, thus the warning.

We have 3 phase AC in the US, but it's commercial, I think it's only available in 480v configs, the stuff they feed the Superchargers with.

It's all very interesting, but most of us just want to know, can I turn on this light? Above my pay grade as a homeowner.

• Informative