Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the corded mobile connector for sale offer 40 amp? I know it has a 14-50 plug, but the photo looks a lot like it's just a corded version of the 32amp max Gen 2 UMC. Sadly it doesn't say anywhere what the output of the unit is..

From the site:
"The Corded Mobile Connector features a NEMA 14-50 plug and improved charging speeds (versus standard Gen 2 Mobile Connector with NEMA 5-15 adapter)."

/edit. Manual doesn't say anything about it either: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/Corded_Mobile_Connector_14-50_User_Guide_NA.pdf

The CMC is a corded version of the Gen1 UMC, so it does support 40A charging.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Anecdotal evidence from posts online do indicate that it is a 40amp charger, but honestly Tesla should have that on the web page selling it. You shouldn't have to search forum posts online to track down a basic (and important) data point.

Reactions: eprosenx
I don’t understand what the issue is. The Gen 3 wall connectors actually have a temperature sensor on the bus block where the wires come in. Both installations are monitored to the same level.
View attachment 560770

If the argument is that the 14-50 plug connection also needs to be monitored, you could argue the same for all of the splice points in a hard wired installation, or the breaker. Where did this requirement come from that the temp needs to be monitored specifically at the plug?

I did a speed read through the entire manual, I didn’t see where it stated that hard wire is required. It doesn’t say much of anything at all about the means of getting wires to the device, except for conductor and breaker sizing. It mentions conduit sizing options and where to route it into the wall connector. It mentions that a separate disconnect switch is not required or recommended. It mentions the wall connector needs to be the only device on the branch. I don’t see where a plug is forbidden.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

The closest thing I can find that could be construed as requiring hard wire is the line “The Wall Connector must be grounded through a permanent wiring system or an
equipment-grounding conductor.” - permanent wiring system would be hard-wired, but I think a 14-50 plug is also a pretty standard means of providing an equipment grounding conductor.

Sorry for my delayed response.

I did briefly review the Wall Connector Gen 3 guide and I did not see anything that said it had to be hard wired (pretty certain this was more explicit in the gen 2 manual).

So yeah, it might not be in contradiction of the manual and hence might not violate UL?

With that being said, receptacles are super common points of failure. I would avoid them when possible.

40 amps continuous is a lot of power.

14-50 receptacles were mostly used for stoves and RV’s prior to EV charging which nearly never draw the full load and even then they rarely do it for long (unlike EV’s). I have seen quite a few pictures of melted 14-50 receptacles. I think Tesla was pretty shrewd to make the UMC Gen 2 only 32 amps. It probably has avoided a bunch of fires that would have otherwise happened.

Hi,
I just have someone installed the new gen 3 wall charger. However, I only got 6A after plug into my Model Y.
I am following below instructions to connect my phone to the wall connector in order to set the amperage of it, however I cannot find the wall connector in wifi list at all. If I scan the QR code from the quickstart guide, I will get an unable to join wall-connector wifi error pop up.

"Wall Connector hosts a Wi-Fi network for easy configuration of breaker size, Wi-Fi connectivity, and power sharing. This Wi-Fi network is broadcast for five minutes after the Wall Connector is energized and can be re-enabled for an additional five minutes by holding the button on the handle of the charging cable."

Could anyone advise how to handle it?

Thx

Hi,
I just have someone installed the new gen 3 wall charger. However, I only got 6A after plug into my Model Y.
I am following below instructions to connect my phone to the wall connector in order to set the amperage of it, however I cannot find the wall connector in wifi list at all. If I scan the QR code from the quickstart guide, I will get an unable to join wall-connector wifi error pop up.

"Wall Connector hosts a Wi-Fi network for easy configuration of breaker size, Wi-Fi connectivity, and power sharing. This Wi-Fi network is broadcast for five minutes after the Wall Connector is energized and can be re-enabled for an additional five minutes by holding the button on the handle of the charging cable."

Could anyone advise how to handle it?

Thx

I had this same issue - I unplugged the charger (you can flip the breaker) for a few seconds then the WiFi broadcast worked as expected (after plugging it back in).

Reactions: Impaler
I had this same issue - I unplugged the charger (you can flip the breaker) for a few seconds then the WiFi broadcast worked as expected (after plugging it back in).
I did flip the breaker a few times, still never found the wifi broadcast. I called tesla energy, they asked me to do that as well. Since it's still failing, they submit a ticket to the system and some technician will contact me tomorrow.

I did flip the breaker a few times, still never found the wifi broadcast. I called tesla energy, they asked me to do that as well. Since it's still failing, they submit a ticket to the system and some technician will contact me tomorrow.

Sounds good, it may be a defective unit. Only other suggestions I have are 1) try leaving breaker off for a full 30 seconds and 2) try searching for Tesla WiFi from a second device. Good luck!

I just installed it today. The WiFi set up was a bit buggy but worked. Like others, I'm seeing "Partially Configured". It did also update the firmware from 0.8.4 to 0.8.5 so not sure what that is. It'll charge my car, so I'm happy.

I have another question for the group ...

If I have a M3 - Tesla says the Wall Charger (TWC) can charge drawing up to 48A; do I need to install the Tesla Wall Charger on a 60A circuit to get the 48A throughput or would a 50A circuit work and also get me the the full 48A throughput? I have received conflicting information from Tesla and various electricians. Some say the 60A circuit is needed to maximize the charge on the Model 3 with the TWC while others INSIST that the 50A circuit is all that is needed ....

Thoughts?

John

Is the "80% rule" a function of the TWC - or an issue with the way a circuit of a given amperage works in real life?
It's a requirement of the NEC (National Electrical Code). Circuits are allowed to pull up to their full rating for short periods of time or things that cycle on and off. But code requires that "continuous loads", meaning things that are going to run for multiple continuous hours, must have a circuit rating 125% of the continuous current flow. So 40A continuous must have a 50A rated circuit, 48A must have a 60A circuit, etc. The 125% oversized circuit is frequently just flipped the other way around to say you can only draw 80% of the circuit rating.

So that's a code rule, but the Tesla wall connectors are built to enforce it properly, so you can specify the circuit size, and it will properly draw less current without you needing to manually dial in anything else. And you don't need to ask how many hours makes it "continuous". Code changes in 2017 just defined all electric car charging as continuous loads, so that's that.

I have another question for the group ...

If I have a M3 - Tesla says the Wall Charger (TWC) can charge drawing up to 48A; do I need to install the Tesla Wall Charger on a 60A circuit to get the 48A throughput or would a 50A circuit work and also get me the the full 48A throughput? I have received conflicting information from Tesla and various electricians. Some say the 60A circuit is needed to maximize the charge on the Model 3 with the TWC while others INSIST that the 50A circuit is all that is needed ....

Thoughts?

John

60A. The installation guide specifically says for the 48A charge setting, it's on a 60A circuit. It's on page 5. Don't listen to those people.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf