Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the answer from tech support. They replied with the following -

“Thanks for reaching out, this looks like a known UI bug. The Wall Connector defaults to the 48 amp output / 60 amp circuit breaker setting out of the box, so if you skip changing this during commissioning then it will display a “partially configured” message.

To resolve this message, go to the circuit breaker settings and change the selection to a different circuit breaker, and then back to your desired level”.

I will try this tonight and let you all know here if it helps.

So this worked - the changing the amperage, exiting, and then setting it back to the proper setting to clear the partially configured erronious messaging. There is caveat. this change can't be made from the home wifi network side or you will get error messaging - forbidden, can't fetch, that kind of thing. Instead, you need to hold the button on the cable end for 5 seconds to get the Tesla built-in Wall Connector wifi SSID to re-broadcast and then connect to that Tesla Wall Connector network and make the required changes from there. I am now "fully configured".

But it does look pretty beautiful.

It does look quite nice. Have you checked it out in the dark yet?

IMG_8270.jpg IMG_8267.jpg

No, you cannot. You can only choose the Amperage of the breaker at the panel and it defaults to the charging amps. So in my case with a 50A breaker, it defaults to 40A charge. There's no way to specify 32 Amps
While you can't specify 32 Amps charge rating, you can set the breaker rating to 40 Amps and the car will charge at 32 Amps max (max charge rate = 80% breaker rating).

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Mine is at 0.8.52 now. The wall connector only connects to the local wifi.

Sorry for the double post, still seeing mine on 0.8.4+g8984eea7a4b342 same version as others who bought months ago. I was wondering if you noticed any rhyme or reason around how and when updates occur, if it’s once a month at night or right after a vehicle charges, something like that.

I am dumping packets coming from the device and I see it reach out to test it’s internet connectivity periodically, but that’s it.

Sorry for the double post, still seeing mine on 0.8.4+g8984eea7a4b342 same version as others who bought months ago. I was wondering if you noticed any rhyme or reason around how and when updates occur, if it’s once a month at night or right after a vehicle charges, something like that.

I am dumping packets coming from the device and I see it reach out to test it’s internet connectivity periodically, but that’s it.

I asked the home charging support person that question while trying to fix this 3 red lights issue. He said if connected to internet it will go out and check once an hour to see if there is an update and then start that update. He didn't mention the frequency at which they release updates though.

In my case the update got stuck and had to walk me through resetting the wall charger to allow a new attempt.

Yes it's pretty scary that anyone on your WIFI network can connect to it and change the charging amps! I just installed mine today and that surprised me. I hope they add security with the next firmware update. The firmware version is 0.8.0 which suggests to me that this firmware is not really ready for primetime.

If someone hacks your wifi network, you have bigger issues.

If someone hacks your wifi network, you have bigger issues.
In a different thread, several folks have mentioned that once the Gen3 connects to your home wifi, the amperage setting is locked. The only way to change it is to perform a procedure that returns it to setup mode (which requires physically being at the device).

For many folks, their Gen3 is in a locked garage. But for any device out in public, this could be a bigger risk. All someone needs is a few minutes with the unit and a smart phone. I don't believe the cover needs to be removed (as was required with Gen1/2), just press and hold the button on the handle.

Reactions: eprosenx
I asked the home charging support person that question while trying to fix this 3 red lights issue. He said if connected to internet it will go out and check once an hour to see if there is an update and then start that update. He didn't mention the frequency at which they release updates though.

In my case the update got stuck and had to walk me through resetting the wall charger to allow a new attempt.

Ok, thanks for the info. I definitely see it reaching out every once in awhile. I guess I just expected that there would be some version newer than 0.8.4 out there for it to install, but perhaps the update window is finite for each new release.

Ok, thanks for the info. I definitely see it reaching out every once in awhile. I guess I just expected that there would be some version newer than 0.8.4 out there for it to install, but perhaps the update window is finite for each new release.

I am now on 0.8.54 but not sure if that release is being pushed unless they think its needed. Was having an overheating issue with charger that apparently was related to firmware bug so they pushed this version to mine.