Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector

Do you have a gen 3 wall connector?

• Yes

• Yes. I have had issues with it not charging at 48 amps

• Yes. I had issues originally, but my replacement is working at 48 amps

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wire gauge will depend on whether it is run in conduit, or cable is used such as Romex, and the length of the run. It should be sized to provide a 60 Amp circuit for the wall connector which has a maximum output of 48 Amps, and NEC 80% rule applies since it is a continuous load so 0.8 x 60 is 48 Amps.

So .... 48amps is max on gen3/newer HPWC's ?
that's just 8 amps more than our portable;
40Aevse.jpg

from the looks of the cable's sheath, the wire looks like it could hold more than 48 but for the various other limits.

Last edited:
Was getting the full 48a for the first three months. Now I am having problems and still waiting for "HomeCharging" support to get back to me. I've dialed back to 32a and it's making it though the night so far.

Using 6 Gauge wire a 60amp Siemens circuit breaker.

Does anyone know when they pushed the latest firmware?
I'm wondering if that did it.

The HomeCharging email support never got back with me. I ended up calling the support line, I'll have to re-post the number and they found that the firmware never fully installed. They attempted to push the new firmware after about 3 hours and it successfully installed but still overheated after about 30-45 minutes charging at 48amp. They pushed it to their Tier 2 Support and they looked at it for about a week till they decided they were shipping me out a new one. Should be here this week and will have to let you guys know if that fixed it.

They also stated that I didn't need to reinstall the mounting plate with the wiring. Has anyone had good luck with a replacement?

The HomeCharging email support never got back with me. I ended up calling the support line, I'll have to re-post the number and they found that the firmware never fully installed. They attempted to push the new firmware after about 3 hours and it successfully installed but still overheated after about 30-45 minutes charging at 48amp. They pushed it to their Tier 2 Support and they looked at it for about a week till they decided they were shipping me out a new one. Should be here this week and will have to let you guys know if that fixed it.

They also stated that I didn't need to reinstall the mounting plate with the wiring. Has anyone had good luck with a replacement?

Just installed mine 3 weeks ago. Have done multiple long charges so far without any issues. Hoping it stays that way.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
....... I'll have to re-post the number and they found that the firmware never fully installed.

On second week with replacement so far so good. Have charged >1 hour daily. I did not replace mounting plate.
My old WC worked for a month before started to overheat.
My replacement WC has a new part number ending in ....01-G vs ..01-F on the old WC. Hopefully they fixed it.

Wall charger support number: (510)249-2490.

I received only a 120 volt plug with my 2020 model 3. Should I have received a 240 volt outlet plug too? Is there a way to charge from a 240 volt trailer outlet at the campsite? Is there an adapter I can buy?

The 240v Gen3 wall connector I have was purchased from TESLA separately. ($500)

I believe the answer is NO you cannot charge from a campsite 240v campsite outlet. As a camper with a fifth wheel, this is what I have learned:

A campsite 30 amp plug has three prongs – a 120 volt hot wire, a neutral wire and a ground wire
A 50 amp campsite plug has four prongs – two 120 volt hot wires, a neutral wire and a ground wire – that supply two separate 50 amp, 120 volt feeds

Your needing a true 240v outlet and a campsite plug is NOT.

Tesla offers a variety of adapters for the mobile connector included with your vehicle. NEMA Adapter Bundle

Last edited:
On second week with replacement so far so good. Have charged >1 hour daily. I did not replace mounting plate.
My old WC worked for a month before started to overheat.
My replacement WC has a new part number ending in ....01-G vs ..01-F on the old WC. Hopefully they fixed it.

Wall charger support number: (510)249-2490.

The 240v Gen3 wall connector I have was purchased from TESLA separately. ($500)

I believe the answer is NO you cannot charge from a campsite 240v campsite outlet. As a camper with a fifth wheel, this is what I have learned:

A campsite 30 amp plug has three prongs – a 120 volt hot wire, a neutral wire and a ground wire
A 50 amp campsite plug has four prongs – two 120 volt hot wires, a neutral wire and a ground wire – that supply two separate 50 amp, 120 volt feeds

Your needing a true 240v outlet and a campsite plug is NOT.

Tesla offers a variety of adapters for the mobile connector included with your vehicle. NEMA Adapter Bundle

For like 8 months I used that 120V cord that came with my Model 3 and paid 35 bucks for the 14-50 adapter so I could charge at 240v and it was rock solid. I think I was getting like 30-35 miles an hour charge speed and was very happy. They offer tons of different adapters and it just replaced the standard plug on the cord and worked great. I treated myself to the Gen 3 Wall connector and now I'm having the issues. They just sent my replacement and It's working so far but I was looking for like a permanent mounted solution otherwise I would have just kept using the cord that came with the car.