Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 wiring question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Gen 3 charger will be coming next week and I am going to get everything setup for it ahead of time.

I plan on doing this setup to charge at 48 amps.

60 amp breaker.
Running 4/2 and a ground in 1" EMT. I have read that #6 while it might be OK could get warm and possibly be an issue charging at 48 amps. Since I have a 50' run I am doing #4.

I will be using the bottom install so I guess I need to drill it out from 3/4 to 1" at a
1-3/8" to fit the 1" connector.

My main question is what size ground do I need??

I have seen #10 for a 60 amp.....but that is when you run #6. If I do #4 do I need to make the ground bigger?

Anyone see any issues with this plan or have any comments?

My Gen 3 charger will be coming next week and I am going to get everything setup for it ahead of time.

60 amp breaker.
Running 4/2 and a ground in 1" EMT. I have read that #6 while it might be OK could get warm and possibly be an issue charging at 48 amps. Since I have a 50' run I am doing #4.

I will be using the bottom install so I guess I need to drill it out from 3/4 to 1" at a

I have seen #10 for a 60 amp.....but that is when you run #6. If I do #4 do I need to make the ground bigger?

You would probably be fine with #6 phase conductors and #10 ground, but if you upsize to 4, then you need to bump the ground proportionally.

In conduit 6 gauge is perfectly acceptable for a 50’ 60amp circuit. You could also downsize the conduit to 3/4” with the 6 gauge wires.

When I installed my wall connector I ended up running 6/3 so that if I ever moved I could take it with me and install a 14-50 outlet by just swapping out the breaker. Might be something to think about.

60 amp breaker.

I have done several installs with 6 AWG copper in 3/4 inch EMT. It is completely fine at 48 amps. Per code, I use 10 awg for the ground wire.

50' is not a particularly long run. There is really no reason to upsize the wire.

1" is a lot more of a pain to work with (as is 4 AWG). Actually, what is the max wire gauge the new wall connector can take? (too lazy to go look it up right now! I forget what I read in the manual)

You have to upsize the ground wire if you upsize the wire due to voltage drop, but there is no reason to upsize the wire due to voltage drop at 50'. But I guess if you did go with 4 AWG I would do a #8 ground so that if you ever later wanted to run larger than a 60a circuit (on some other wall connector like the classic ones) you could.

I also would not pre-run a neutral just in case you need to convert it later. You could always convert it to a 6-50 and still not need the neutral. If you for any reason did need the neutral, then it is pretty trivial to just re-pull wire through the conduit later. I would not spend the money (and then you have a neutral wire to deal with sticking somewhere).

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H