Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 with covered wheel wells?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Related old thread: Wheel Skirts

apteraa.JPG

/\ That looks fantastic. I think having the front and back covered looks a lot better in general, and the less of the tire peaking out the bottom the better.

It could be interesting to find out how much it means in terms of range.

Someone with fibreglass skills should be able to make some custom covers

Just for the top half of the wheels (as that is where the wheel is moving the air at opposite the airflow, and thus double speed, quadruple resistance - roughly).

I even have an idea how all four wheels could be covered smoothly (top half or the two thirds upper part), while still allowing the front wheels to turn fully, although that would require a bit more work.

This would mainly be as an experiment - see how much you could actually gain.

On the lower half of the wheels, the wheel is spinning in the same direction as the relative air, so maybe just cover 1/2 to 2/3s of the wheels

I have faith that the Tesla team can make covered wheel wells beautiful and effective, BUT they have to be removable, or I won't be able to put chains on when I'm dashing up to throw myself down a mountain on my snowboard. This would actually be a deal-breaker.

Happy Thursday!

I like the cleaner lines of the covered wheels and tend to think that many people's preference for exposed wheels is apt to reflect a comfort with the traditional look rather than design aesthetics. My prejudice for the covered wheels is as much related to efficiency as style. Of course the covers have to be removable to change tires and install chains. Of course they need to be optional because many people won't want them, at least at first.

Of course they need to be optional because many people won't want them, at least at first.
No they don't. Model S handles. Model X doors.

Frankly, while Tesla is production constrained they can do all kinds of crazy things with Model X, Gen 3, whatever from a styling perspective. If demand dries up then the pressure might apply to be more conservative or traditional.

No they don't. Model S handles. Model X doors.
Those examples are perhaps flipped. People like them for styling reasons (I have never seen anyone complain about the handles and doors for styling reasons), but there are some that dislike them for practical reasons.

The wheel covers people dislike for styling reasons, but may like them for practical reasons.

In the past 45 years the only company that has successfully pulled off using side skirts in a production vehicle is Buick. That is because the cars were designed to look good, with lines that complimented the side-skirts, while being enhanced by their presence. Should General Motors grow a brain, and decide to compete directly with the Tesla Model S with a fully electric Buick Electra, it can have side-skirts.