Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen II rear lighted appliqué soon available: Gauging pre-producion interest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jurgen Balitzky, Bill Polera (SUPRKAR) and I met at the Newark DE supercharger today to see and install the new Gen II lighted rear appliqué. Jurgen is working out the final manufacturing details but suffice it to say now that the appliqué will be machined from billet alumnium and attach the same way as Tesla's plastic version. The TESLA letters will be the same size and shape as Tesla V2 appliqué and like that version it will have no lens over the reverse portion of the light. It will use the same neopixel electronics as Danal's for GEN I.

But there will be new option: we will paint it to match the color of your car. The version we installed today was painted to match Jurgen's dark green car. I have to say that I was a skeptic about how this would look but when we installed it I thought it vastly improved the rear of the car and gave it a much more integrated look. In fact I liked it so much I've asked Jurgen to have a beta made for my car in Multicoat Red. A mirror polished version will, of course, still be available of those who prefer the stock chrome look.

We expect these to go into full production in about 2-4 weeks. As we will no longer have to rely on Tesla's limited supply chain for the appliqués nor have the letters cut out with water jet tools (they will be part of the machining in production) once production begins we expect to be able to ship in about 30 days.

So we can plan production if you are sure you want to purchase this new GEN II lighted rear appliqué please post here confirming your interest and indicate whether you'd like the painted or polished/chrome look version. Price will be about $800 and will include all parts for installation.

Here are a few photos we took today. We didn't have time to wire the electronics but the light effects and other information about the lighted rear appliqué can be found in these threads.

Work on lighting lift gate appliqué begins

Version 2 soon to be available

Light effects for TESLA letters on rear appliqué

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][URL="http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/44730-Lighted-rear-applique-with-special-effects-and-Bluetooth-smart-phone-controller-Early-Adopter-Price-SOLD"][FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][URL="http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/44730-Lighted-rear-applique-with-special-effects-and-Bluetooth-smart-phone-controller-Early-Adopter-Price-SOLD"][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Lighted rear [/FONT][/URL][/URL][FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][URL="http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/44730-Lighted-rear-applique-with-special-effects-and-Bluetooth-smart-phone-controller-Early-Adopter-Price-SOLD"][FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT][URL="http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/44730-Lighted-rear-applique-with-special-effects-and-Bluetooth-smart-phone-controller-Early-Adopter-Price-SOLD"][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]applique with special effects and Bluetooth smart phone controller[/FONT][/URL][/URL]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Group install of lighted rear appliqué at Hamilton NJ supercharger
[/FONT]
New rear applique

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

For contrast Jurgen's car with mine to the left. We all agreed that the painted version was highly desirable and made the car look even more distinctive.

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0466.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG

No interest?
Well this is my 2nd post and my MS is still weeks away (in transit now) but I am!
Please keep me updated Artsci.
Cheers,
j.

We'll have the first production versions within two weeks for installation on my and SUPRKAR's Model S's.

If all is well we'll begin taking orders around the beginning of December -- this can be a holiday gift from your significant other:)

We'll have the first production versions within two weeks for installation on my and SUPRKAR's Model S's.

If all is well we'll begin taking orders around the beginning of December -- this can be a holiday gift from your significant other:)

My significant other might very well bend the appliqué around my neck and pull ...!:scared:

The P90D is "in transit" to Europe so I think it will "overshoot" the xmas season.

Anyhow, keep us updated.

Cheers,
j.

looks cool painted body color. Any plans on an install videos we can see whats involved in removing the old and putting on the new?

We will create an install video with GenII but the instructions are the same for the first version.

- - - Updated - - -

looks cool painted body color. Any plans on an install videos we can see whats involved in removing the old and putting on the new?

Here's a link to the install instructions on Google Docs.

Production of GenII has been delayed because the machinist had a death in the family that prevents him from working for a while. We're looking for an alternative.

Things have gone a bit slower owing to production glitches. Milling the appliqué out of aluminum bar has proven to be beyond the skill set of many shops. But we now have a reliable source and they've milled half a dozen for testing. So we'll have several pre-production versions mounted on cars the Sunday before Christmas. We'll photograph and shoot video then. 50 units will be produced and go on sale in February.

Is this the same as you are producing?

Things have gone a bit slower owing to production glitches. Milling the appliqué out of aluminum bar has proven to be beyond the skill set of many shops. But we now have a reliable source and they've milled half a dozen for testing. So we'll have several pre-production versions mounted on cars the Sunday before Christmas. We'll photograph and shoot video then. 50 units will be produced and go on sale in February.

Tesla Rear Applique Lights - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
The six pre-production versions will be available this week but it's doubtful we'll get them installed before Christmas, more likely next weekend.

The company making the new billet aluminum appliqués specialized in aircraft parts. They'll be making then within a tolerance of .001. We hope to have photos in a few days.

Just received these photos of the pre-production painted versions of our new billet aluminum appliqués, these in multi-coat red and pearl white. When these go into production in January options will be availabe for these in polished aluminum and painted to match every color Tesla has offered on the Model S since it was first built.

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG