Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen II rear lighted appliqué soon available: Gauging pre-producion interest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rick,

I believe you have posted that a Model X version might be done also. Any updates on the X applique, if it is the same as the S?

As always, thanks so much for you and all the others efforts with this.

We have a volunteer who's awaiting delivery of his X. Once it's delivered we're going to see if the applique and front and rear lighted T fit. If they do we'll be good to go. If not we'll make Model X versions.

Last edited:
We have a volunteer who's awaiting delivery of his X. One it's delivered we're going to see if the applique and front and rear lighted T fit. If they do we'll be good to go. If not we'll make Model X versions.

Fantastic. Do you think by having the optional tow package on the X, and a 7 pin connector in the rear, will make installation easier?

We've had to make a few minor changes to the way the TESLA letters are machined out of the billet aluminum appliqués, creating further productions delays. We're now anticipating that production will begin in early February. We're making a run of 50 to start and once production is completed (it will take only a week) they'll be available for immediate delivery.

Final price not yet determined but likely in the range of $850 - $950 all inclusive (all installation parts provided). Likely we'll also provide an option to purchase the appliqué painted to match your car or in chrome finish with contrasting TESLA letters but without the electronics.

A substantial discount will also be provided to owners who have Version 1 as they will not need the neopixel longboard or controller.

Put me on your waiting list for a chrome (original color) applique without electronics or longboard....thx.

Put me on your waiting list for a chrome (original color) applique without electronics or longboard....thx.

Will do.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in for the gen2 upgrade, if you need another Guinea pig I'm in Nova and more than happy to attend any meet ups etc.

You're a candidate for our next group install in Delaware. We'll post when all is ready.

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic. Do you think by having the optional tow package on the X, and a 7 pin connector in the rear, will make installation easier?

Probably not but until we can check out a real Model X it's hard to know.

Please count me in. Put me on your list for chrome - Gen II. I live in Waldorf and I think I have a phone number of your business. I will call this Wednesday Jan 6th when you are back in town.

70D, pano, air, tech - titanium metallic

By the end of next week we'll have 12 test production appliqués: 2 MC Red, 2 Pearl White, 2 Green, 2 Blue, 1 Flat Black, 1 Reg Black, and 2 Polished Aluminum. We'll test install them on my, SUPRKAR, and Jurgen's cars, and shoot photos and videos of installation and operation. If all is well, the remaining 9 (2 polished aluminum, 1 MC red, 1 green, 2 blue, 1 pearl white, 1 flat black, and 1 reg black) will go on sale immediately. We'll then also go ahead with full production of 50 units for which we'll take orders. Production and delivery will take about 3 weeks. Jurgen and I will set the price this weekend.

We'll also be conducting several group installs in February.

The new Aluminum appliqués are in. Rick, Bill and I installed the first ones in our cars this afternoon. Rick will post pictures. Man do they look sharp. I think most of the ten or so appliqués that we have are spoken for.
Next round will be available in mid March, contact Rick to reserve your color appliqué for the March run. Rick, Bill and I will set up a couple of group installs, details will be posted (by Rick) soon.

Today we installed the test production billet aluminum appliqués on three cars: mine, SUPRKAR's and WATTS-UP. They are phenomenal and far superior to Tesla's plastic piece. Based on the success of this installation production will be authorized tomorrow on 50 units. The will be available in polished aluminum and painted to match your car or even in custom colors.

12 test production versions were made -- 2 in MC red, 2 in pearl white, 2 in green, 2 in the new blue, 1 in the original dark blue, 1 polished, one regular black, and one matte black. The test production versions are $675. The full production versions will be $875. So far commitments have been made for both new blues, one pearl white, the polished, and one green. That leaves one MC red, one regular black, one matte black, and one original dark blue. If you're interested in purchasing one of the remaining test production versions, please PM me.

Full production versions will be available for purchase in about a week on the TMC Classifieds/Panjo. They will come will all of electronics and installation parts.

Here are a number of photos and comments.

Here they are lined up.

DSC_6670.jpg

DSC_6659.jpg

As in Tesla's new version, the ends are open with no lens to collect moisture.

DSC_6673.jpg

The letters match Tesla's new version -- flat tops and with a higher profile which make them more prominent.

DSC_6678.jpg

Here are a number of shots on my and WATTS-UP cars.

DSC_6682.jpg

DSC_6683.jpg

DSC_6684.jpg

Brake lights on.

DSC_6695.jpg

In reverse.

DSC_6697.jpg

And a video the them in action on all three cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Newer Model S's have the reverse light cutout a bit smaller, anyway way to update the lighted version to match?

We made our own shape cutout -- it's designed to ensure that the ends stay firmly attached to the taillight. And we weren't too fond of Tesla's new cutout style.

- - - Updated - - -

Will the blue work on my car?

It's the new blue and it matches perfectly. These are painted by a professional shop using Tesla's color codes.

We made our own shape cutout -- it's designed to ensure that the ends stay firmly attached to the taillight. And we weren't too fond of Tesla's new cutout style.

- - - Updated - - -

It's the new blue and it matches perfectly. These are painted by a professional shop using Tesla's color codes.

Would there be anyway to have a design made that matches the newer cutout style? I'm sure I can't be the only one who actually likes the new updated style.