TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Gen III Announced for Sale as Early as 2015

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bonnie, Jul 11, 2012.

1. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

2. clmason

clmason Member

I like this part:
    Von Holzhausen also admitted that the new model will boast more distinctive styling than the relatively conventional Model S. “We will become more experimental as we develop as a brand,” he said. “Our cars need to have some personality.”

Any guesses to what elements will be experimental?

Funky Doors
    No Side Mirrors, cameras instead
    Novel options like those submitted to the Opportunity Console thread
    others...

3. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Hopefully extreme but still beautiful aero for amazing efficiency.

4. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I'll be curious just how much they can really change. You need a front crumple zone. You need a passenger compartment. I'm not sure just how wild they can get.

5. adric22

adric22 Member

Ever see the Aptera? While I doubt Tesla would go that route, the point is there are plenty of wild things that can be done!

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Wouldn't efficiency be even more important in a cheaper car?

7. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

I'd think so. If it doesn't have to look conventional, the aero requirement by itself is maybe not as restrictive.

BTW, I do like the Model S look very much (as in: what looks better?), just adding that so the above sentence doesn't get misinterpreted.

8. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Aero only amounts for about a half of all drag, tires produce the other half.

Some ideas:
    - reduce the wheels downto about 205/55/16
    - tires should be fully closed outside and also inside at the rear
    - add active tirepressure control - faster you drive, higher the tirepressure
    - loose the mirrors
    - route the outlets of aircooling to the rear of the car to help fill the air-void behind the car
    - add agressive adaptive cruse control that is capable of following very close to the car driving in front of you
    - use composites everywhere

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Franz said they are working with other manufactures to get rid of outside mirrors. Don't hold your breath though.

10. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

That doesn't seem right. Unless you are including the aero drag of wheels and tires, which I would include in the general "aero" category. If you just mean rolling resistance I don't think there is that much you can do to improve it more than a few percentage points.

11. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

How experimental? This makes me nervous. The Gen III/Bluestar is the Mass Market car. If you go too far from what people expect you can loose a portion of the market. You're already bucking the trend by making this car an EV and now you want to push the design envelope as well? Oh well. I'll trust Tesla to do what they have always done, which is make an amazing car. Good luck, Franz.

12. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I guess you could look at "Falcon Doors" on Model X as a sign that they aren't going to stick with main-stream.

13. favo

favo Model 3 Reservation Holder

Agreed. Don't go too crazy with the looks. I hope the advancements battery tech will help out quite a bit.

14. favo

favo Model 3 Reservation Holder

#14 favo, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2012
    Interesting ideas. A few comments:
    - Smaller wheels are a given, I think. 16" standard with 18" performance (or maybe 17"/19").
    - Maybe aero wheels can get most of the gain of enclosed wheels?
    - Do any current cars have active tire pressure? Would it keep an air reserve somewhere or use a compressor?
    - I guess losing the mirrors is a regulatory issue. They would have to convince the authorities that there is a reasonable backup should a camera fail.
    - I wonder if there are any regulations about adaptive cruise control minimum distances. There was some discussion on here about possible problems with multiple ACC cars following one another.
    - Are there composites that would be compatible with the lower cost/high safety goals of the Gen III?

15. To me the Roadster still is the best looking Tesla (Model S, Model X, and Prototypes/Franz Creations)

16. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#16 dsm363, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
    I definitely think he made the original Roadster look better but the Roadster wasn't his design. I do like the design language and accents he added to the Roadster for the 2.5.

17. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yup. Not a fan of the Roadster design overall, but 2.5 was a huge improvement. I'd like to see that grille on the S (with the badge on the hood). Hopefully, some language carries over to bluestar, or even better, Roadster 3.0

18. Teslawisher

Teslawisher Member

Some good stuff here. But...

I hate enclosed wheels. I don't think I've seen one car that looks good with that format. I'd have to see what they came up with for it.

I think the active tire pressure monitoring and filling (and don't forget letting air out) would be something left for very high-end vehicles and not competitive in the 3-series market. I just think something like that could add significant cost which is counter-intuitive to one of the goals of this car which is to keep the price in check. But, if it could be done at a reasonable cost, that might be one of those game-changers which pushes the rest of the industry to keep up.

Composites. Typically expensive, so have to use them intelligently where they do the most good. Again, to ensure the cars price point stays where they want it.

19. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Aerowheels < enclosed wheels
    Some wheelcaps are almost entirely closed yet they look OK, not stunning but OK. And dnn't forget about the inside-side of the wheels that are completely open and cause huge turbulences.

It could be "powered" by brake-servo airpump. Aditional energy use would be minimal if done right - don't increase pressure right away but wait for average speed for the last 5 minutes to go above 30mph, or above 50 after 3 minutes.

Yes it is. Sooner or later this rule will have to go.
    Create a superwide internal mirror with warped left and right cornes giving full back view, put mirrors on the inside of car doors to cover car-sides.

ACC is too new to be regulated. Hence it is very conservative with huge error margins.

Probably not yet.

20. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#20 vfx, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
    Elon comments...........