TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Gen III incompatible with battery swapping stations?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by sms_327, Dec 20, 2013.

1. sms_327

sms_327 Member

Since Gen III vehicles will be on a smaller chassis than the Model S and X, with (presumably) smaller battery packs, does that mean they will be incompatible with the planned battery swapping stations? Since the Model E is being positioned as a cheaper alternative to the Model S, is it possible that Tesla wouldn't retool the stations to be compatible with the batteries found in Gen III vehicles, citing the likelihood of its target audience opting for free supercharging over relatively expensive pack swaps?

2. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Most of those robotic stations are capable of finding the bolts. Therefore no incompatibility.

3. Mookuh

Mookuh Member

They'd have to store the necessary batterypacks tho, of course. And with Gen 3 being a mass-market car, 50 packs per station won't cut it.
    I wouldn't assume compatability unless specifically stated/promised.

4. Kevin Harney

If there are superchargers why would anyone want to swap batteries ?

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Contention at chargers. If Gen 3 is a big success peak periods could get very busy and even if charging time for a 60kWh comes down to 25 minutes, that's less than 2.4 per hour per slot (they are paired).

It'll be a nice problem to have and I believe Tesla will find it easy to add slots, but I do think they'll continue to work hard to bring down charging times.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#6 ecarfan, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    (Sorry, deleted my post, I mis-read the OP)

7. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Ultimately I don't see Tesla going with the swap stations to any larger extent. It was an important demonstration to show that it could be done but in practical terms it doesn't make a lot of sense. They haven't built any stations since they did the demonstration.

Doing the swap demonstration:

1. Shut up naysayers that go on about how a fill up is better than charging.
    2. It got them a lot more ZEV credits per car.
    3. Shows one more strength an EV has over an ICE.

To get back to the subject, it should work equally well in the Model E as it does in the Model S.

8. clmason

clmason Member

+1
    There will be no roll out of swap stations. It was a demo, don't hold you breath.

9. sms_327

sms_327 Member

I wasn't referring to bolt placement, but rather, the machine handling a different sized battery pack. I can't foresee the smaller Gen III vehicles having battery packs of the same length and width as Gen II.

- - - Updated - - -

Drive across the state of Pennsylvania and then we'll talk.

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard rumors that it'll only be launched in the CARB states, but who knows. Until Tesla addresses it, only they know for sure.

10. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Agree

11. Kevin Harney

Size does not matter in this case ;) The robots can find the bolts where ever they are and in what ever configuration they are in...

Driven across PA many a times in my day. What makes PA any different than any other state ? Knowing the care of your battery far out weights the convenience of saving 20 minutes when crossing PA .... Not sure I get your point ?!?!

12. DuncanWatson

DuncanWatson Member

The battery swap will most likely work with the Model E to maximize the ZEV credits per vehicle. OTOH I agree that there will be very few battery swap stations.

13. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

In 2018, there's no ZEV bonus for any EV above 100 miles, so the point would be moot. Plus CARB is very seriously considering removing battery swapping in the mean time, or at the very least condition it on real world stations existing.

14. Reykjavik

Reykjavik Member

And Tesla doesn't really need ZEV credits. They are currently small enough that they don't need them at all, and with the model E they may need them, but since they are producing one hundred percent electric cars they are going to have far more than they need.

Selling credits to other manufacturers is a nice bonus, but hopefully one that will go away as other manufacturers start getting serious about EVs and plug in hybrids.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

AFAIK, Tesla doesn't need ZEV credits since they don't make ANY ICEVs nor do they have sales numbers to be considered a large or intermediate volume automaker (Zero Emission Vehicle Credits). You can compare Tesla's annual US sales numbers to the intermediate guys at 2012 - Dont Call It A Comeback Edition - Autoblog.

But yes, selling ZEV credits to other automakers is extra revenue and profit for them.

16. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

Tesla will never need CARB credits, regardless of how big they get, if they never want to sell polluting cars. There's no limit to how many Zero Emission Vehicles they can make.

17. GSP

GSP Member

You have got to be kidding! First they eliminate battery swap to give fuel cells an edge (not to have cleaner air), now this!

Why would CARB not continue to incentivize production of 200 and 300 mile ZEVs? If they want ZEVs to capture more market share this is important. Without a bigger market share ZEVs will not help air quality much.

GSP

18. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I believe you are under the incorrect impression that politicians do what is best for their constituents. :scared:

It's cynical, but Tesla probably didn't bribe them enough or at all.

19. Norse

Norse Active Member

I am willing to bet money against all of you guys saying that battery-swappers wont be everywhere. I am 100% certain they will.

20. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

What's the advantage over Supercharging which will continue to improve? Other than time.

The disadvantages are that it costs more and after the swap you have a battery that isn't the one you bought.