Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen III name confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
could be going with numbers for the low end cars. So model 3 and Model 4.

Still spells sexy...

Model_Sexy2.png

I think the author got the idea wrong, the quote from Elon was "three bars" -- he didn't say vertical or horizontal. Three horizontal bars would look like "3" as much as they do "E", and gets Elon his "S3X". As an added bonus, the number three in Chinese and Japanese is three horizontal bars, so that would be a nice nod to those markets.

Tesla trademarked "Model 3", not "Model III". I would think if the intent was to use roman numerals, it would have been trademarked that way. Thus, the identical looking E/3 horizontal bars is likely what he was referring to.

I realize that the company is dominated by engineers, but they really should seek advice from marketers or language experts regarding the names for car models. In my opinion, they need to come up with names that are sexier for advertisements of mass market cars aimed at younger members of the middle and working classes, rather than the bland designations engineers typically give to prototypes or luxury cars. Henry Ford was an engineer who originally gave his car models stark names like Model T. Eventually he bowed to marketers suggesting more attractive names.

I realize that the company is dominated by engineers, but they really should seek advice from marketers or language experts regarding the names for car models. In my opinion, they need to come up with names that are sexier for advertisements of mass market cars aimed at younger members of the middle and working classes, rather than the bland designations engineers typically give to prototypes or luxury cars. Henry Ford was an engineer who originally gave his car models stark names like Model T. Eventually he bowed to marketers suggesting more attractive names.
I'm not sure what premium cars you're comparing to, but Mercedes has names like "S" "E" "M" "G" etc, BMW has "3 series" "5 series" "7 series" etc, Lexus has "ES" "IS" "LX" "GS" etc... so I don't think that Tesla is alone in the "boring" camp here, in fact, it seems that mostly it's the boring cars that have the fancy names "prius" "taurus" "explorer" "accent" not the premium ones. When looking at high end stuff, sometimes less really is more.

I'm not sure what premium cars you're comparing to, but Mercedes has names like "S" "E" "M" "G" etc, BMW has "3 series" "5 series" "7 series" etc, Lexus has "ES" "IS" "LX" "GS" etc... so I don't think that Tesla is alone in the "boring" camp here, in fact, it seems that mostly it's the boring cars that have the fancy names "prius" "taurus" "explorer" "accent" not the premium ones. When looking at high end stuff, sometimes less really is more.

Isn't that essentially what I wrote? Did you read the entire paragraph? Perhaps I should have made it clearer that I was referring only to the names of future mass market models like the Model 3 that is the subject of this thread.

Last edited:

Like the Cruise? Oh wait marketers purposefully misspelled that. (Maybe it is a SEO thing, but it still looks dumb)
Perhaps something like Armada. Our SUV is about the same as an entire fleet of warships. That seems legit.

Honestly I don't think marketers always are the best people to come up with names. Lots of times they are asinine.