Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen III - summary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Designing a beautiful car does not cost more than designing an ugly car. Why would they make it ugly?
Actually it does. As for why, Chad has some posts on this.

- - - Updated - - -

I think he was saying that if the car is that ugly it would save him a lot of money because he would not buy it ..... not because its cheaper.
Indeed. Only if it was dirt cheap would I buy something that looked like that rendering.

I'm a bit curious (read worried) about the on-track capability of the GenIII. Will Tesla have solved the "overheat" issue inherent in the Model S when doing more than a single hot lap around a road course? If the intended target of the GenIII is the BMW 3-series, I imagine the top-line models will be gunning for the M3/M4, which are tracked quite often among enthusiasts.

I'm a bit curious (read worried) about the on-track capability of the GenIII. Will Tesla have solved the "overheat" issue inherent in the Model S when doing more than a single hot lap around a road course? If the intended target of the GenIII is the BMW 3-series, I imagine the top-line models will be gunning for the M3/M4, which are tracked quite often among enthusiasts.

Tesla hasn't seem too concerned over this issue for the Model S so I doubt it is very high on their list for Gen3 nor should it be IMO.

Oh noes, it'll instead only be bought by people who don't take their car to a racetrack.

OK, end sarcasm. I would fully expect that it would have improved by then. Tesla snacks on its laurels while working late to make thigs better.

At the CPUC meeting yesterday (Thought Leaders: Elon Musk Lyndon Rive on disrupting the utility market | SiliconBeat) Elon said

Musk on the Gen III: It will be 20 percent smaller than the Model S but half the cost, at about $35,000, and with a range of 200 miles. In order to achieve that you have to reduce the cost of the battery. The battery pack will be 20 percent smaller but we’re looking for a 50 percent cost reduction, so we want to drive the battery cost down 30 percent.

Now I wonder what 20% smaller means for the car (it´s obvious for the battery pack). 20% shorter, 20% narrower, 20% less weight? I guess the height of the car should stay about the same, otherwise it becomes impractical. If I start with the battery having only 80% of the capacity (kWh) and is built of the same cells (same thickness of the pack), that would most likely mean that it's approximatly 90% as wide and 90% as long as the Model S's pack.

That would translate to 90% of the frontal area for the car and therefore of the aerodynamic resistance (if they manage to keep the same drag coefficient/cW), giving you less kWh/mi. So putting the smaller battery capacity and better aerodynamics together, you should lose less than 20% of the range from the Model S. So it should have at least 265mi*0.8=212mi, so the 200mi range would kind of fit as a low estimate for the range I guess.

Is there any more detailed data out there as to what size the E will be?

The only logical way to get 20% smaller would be reducing the overall volume by 20%. You would wind up with a vehicle that was nearly 2 feet shorter and 7 inches narrower if you kept the height the same. Alternatively, you could change the shape around a bit and end up with something the size of a BMW i3, which is also about 20% smaller by volume than the Model S.

The only logical way to get 20% smaller would be reducing the overall volume by 20%. You would wind up with a vehicle that was nearly 2 feet shorter and 7 inches narrower if you kept the height the same. Alternatively, you could change the shape around a bit and end up with something the size of a BMW i3, which is also about 20% smaller by volume than the Model S.

Driving a Model S in UK city streets is pretty frightening as its just too HHUUGGEE for such roads. There are plenty of 'width restrictors' in London that it simply will not fit through without getting wedged good and tight. A Model S is also nearly 7 inches WIDER than a Bugatti Veyron, or a slab like Lamborghini Diablo - which is saying something, so yes, the Gen3 needs to be slimmer !

Personally I am hoping the Gen3 / Model-E is no bigger than a 4 door Audi A3.

The Audi is 10% narrower, 14% shorter, and about the same height. That means volumetrically its about 24% smaller ..

10% narrower equates to almost 9 inches, which would make a noticeable difference. 15% shorter means 2ft 3 inches shorter.

I personally think the GenIII will be similar shape and size to the Mercedes CLA, resembling something like this (basic rendering, hence no details or wheels)
pu4xIEL.jpg

I don't think it will look like a sedan, mostly for aerodynamic reasons. I suspect the side profile will be more adventurous than that, and that it will have a Kamm back and a hatch. There's a reason the Prius and the (now cancelled) Insight look like they do.

I'd like to see someone photoshop a four door Tesla-ized version of the Maserati Alfieri. When I heard Franz state that the Model E would not be a small Model S and the designers would have more freedom, I puzzled as to what this could mean and developed some ideas that included more pronounced wheel arches, a more pronounced narrowing of the roofline as it blends into the rear, and a slightly less sedan shape. When I saw the Alfieri, my initial reaction was to think that it is awfully darn close to what I had in mind for the Model E, except for with a longer hood and only two doors.

To add two doors the wheelbase would increase about 5 inches. Total length would increase 3-4 inches. That should place it at 184 inches long and 75 inches wide with a 111 inch wheelbase. The passenger cell would get pushed forward some to accommodate four doors of course. Height of vehicle would increase. But I'd like to see someone try to photoshop a Model E inspired by the Alfieri :)

MASERATI_NORTH_AMERICA,_IN_t607.JPG
Maserati-Alfieri-Concept-01.jpg

No. Not good enough. Even a more Tesla-fied version of the Chrysler 300 would look better. Too bad, Theophiluschin usually does a great job. This one is just too dull.

Yeah. I'm a big fan of TC's work, especially the Model S wagon. This one is a little uninspired. I'm thinking the production model will be a little bolder. I think Musk has even said as much, saying the company played it deliberately safe with the Model S, and that the Gen-III would be a little more daring. If it looks somewhat like the 2014 Mazda 3 sedan or hatch, that would not suck. :smile: I don't know how much of an influence Von Holzhausen had on the latest 3, but the fact that he's at Tesla now is definitely a positive in my book.

i know we might be only getting one screen but if that is true what about a heads up display for speed/nav and having a smaller maybe 15inch touchscreen, I'm suripsed the mercedes benz b class electric drive hasn't got digital speedo.

HUD is something I also was thinking about. Get rid of all the clutter a dashboard brings. And why not have the centre display as a iPad air? Removable so car will only work when screen is mounted. Also good security thing, store some sort of password on iPad en car will only start when it's correct.
May get some people not liking it but I'm sure the majority will love it.

I personally would never remove it, but as long as it maintains a secure connection better than the faceplate for my radio then so be it. Wouldn't want to be tooling down the highway and have the motor suddenly cut-out because the screen jiggled loose on a bump in the road.