Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GEN III - When will we see the first prototype

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would two small motors allow you to re-capture more energy/power (sorry I don't know the proper term) through regenerative braking than a single large motor?
Regnerative braking works best with all-wheel drive, followed by front-wheel drive and rear-wheel drive being the worst. But the difference isn't that big.

Could the range of an EV with two small motors be longer than the range of an EV with one large motor?
Probably not. Drivetrain losses will be greater with AWD. The improved regenerative braking really only offsets some of the added drivetrain losses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regnerative breaking works best with all-wheel drive, followed by front-wheel drive and rear-wheel drive being the worst. But the difference isn't that big.

Probably not. Drivetrain losses will be greater with AWD. The improved regenerative breaking really only offsets some of the added drivetrain losses.

Also remember that there is a limit as to how much charge you can put back into the battery pack. This could easily be met with just rear brakes. So even if you could generate that much current, can you stuff it into the batteries?

Also remember that there is a limit as to how much charge you can put back into the battery pack. This could easily be met with just rear brakes. So even if you could generate that much current, can you stuff it into the batteries?
The Model S can charge at least at 90 kW. I suspect that 90 kW of braking on the rear wheels is too much. It's probably limited to less than that.

A Leaf regens a max of 30 kW, even though it can charge at a higher rate than that, and that's on the front wheels. I'm thinking it's limited mostly for safety because the braking isn't on all four tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the Supercharger reveal I was told we were not let in the building because Bluegenlll is underway.

I specifically asked if there was a full sized clay model in there. Answer, "No"

Is there a smaller clay model? "No".

So it sounds like they are just in the drawings phase now.

they could use a little cash and im ready for a reservation on gen 111. my guess one month after model s gets to maximum monthly production. tesla has brought back kids dreamsand half the fun is in the wait and expectation. i think theres alot of money waiting for gen 111 reservations. the excitment will highten with the prototype. have fun.

At the Supercharger reveal I was told we were not let in the building because Bluegenlll is underway.

I specifically asked if there was a full sized clay model in there. Answer, "No"

Is there a smaller clay model? "No".

So it sounds like they are just in the drawings phase now.

Do I believe them? "No."

Conspiracy!

They didn't want you to see the alien spacecraft they had hoisted up. They were pulling all the proprietary technology out to put in the Gen III car.

It has to be past the drawings-only phase - if they only had drawings, those could be easily put away and people allowed in the building. My guess is that they'll reveal and give rides in a prototype at a Model X reservation holders' party.

they could use a little cash and im ready for a reservation on gen 111. my guess one month after model s gets to maximum monthly production. tesla has brought back kids dreamsand half the fun is in the wait and expectation. i think theres alot of money waiting for gen 111 reservations. the excitment will highten with the prototype. have fun.

I think it may be a bit longer than that depending on if they want Gen III news next or Model X. If X, we need to see another revision mid to late summer next year. Then I'd say late 2013 or early 2014 we see Gen III a year and change ahead of its 2015 launch.