Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GEN III - When will we see the first prototype

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It better be more sleek for even better aero.

It's going to be hard to beat the Model S when it comes to aero. The Gen III needs to be functional and good looking first and aerodynamic second. The Model S had the size to pull off all the aerodynamic tapering. Even with that it's a little tight for taller people in the back seat. If the GenIII has a similar shape (confirmed) to the S then that headroom is going to be very tight.

I certainly hope so! The Model S is HUGE. The next car should have room for occasional back seat passengers only. Tesla already has their people carrier.

Correct. To keep costs down and still get sufficient range from the pack aero is going to be even more important on the Gen3. If it doesn't go far enough at the right price it won't sell and the back seat room will be irrelevant. Most cars have an empty back seat probably 90% of the time. 2+2 seating is a possibility, and I think a rational choice, but I think they'll push it for more room than that.

I want to see the "slickest" hatchback ever with both 4 door and 2 door options. Hey even Ferrari has hatchback.

Ferrari FF.jpg

... Most cars have an empty back seat probably 90% of the time. 2+2 seating is a possibility, and I think a rational choice, but I think they'll push it for more room than that.

The frunk really comes into play here. It changes that way you move things around in the back half of the car shape. You can intrude into interior rear stowage space with aerodynamic advantages. without a penalty.

The frunk really comes into play here. It changes that way you move things around in the back half of the car shape. You can intrude into interior rear stowage space with aerodynamic advantages. without a penalty.

Good point and I love the frunk. But there are still times when you want to carry something longer that needs a hatchback where part or all of the back seat can be lowered. So far Tesla has emphasized the ability for the Model S and Model X to carry lots of stuff. I see them continuing philosophy just in a smaller scale. Another way they could one up the BMW 3 series.

now that we know that the model s 60 kwh gets 208 miles of range . how far will the gen 111 go with a 60 kwh pack and being a 25 % smaller car with less drag and next gen batterie ?

now that we know that the model s 60 kwh gets 208 miles of range . how far will the gen 111 go with a 60 kwh pack and being a 25 % smaller car with less drag and next gen batterie ?

Smaller tires, less weight, maybe assume same CoD and same efficiency in the motor, gearbox, inverter and cells (even though this will get better) I think you could see 300miles at 55MPH and more like 285EPA due to less weight in the 5 cycle test.

I do wonder how much TM will shrink the distance between axles, thus reducing the usable area for battery. This could make squeezing more batteries in difficult. But would guess they'll be using a newer generation anyways as technology marches on.

For Model S, my understanding is that the 60kWh pack is the same dimensional size as the 85kWh.
Inside the case it may have a similar # of lower capacity cells, or a lesser number of the same cells, but with some empty space.

For GenIII, I assume they would have higher density cells by then so they could (in theory) make even smaller packs.

But, for the sake of argument, if they used the existing 85kWh Model S pack type cells then they could make a 60kWh pack that is about 60/85 the size (~70%) for a smaller car.

In other words, I think they could use current tech to make a 60kWh BMW 3 series sized vehicle with an under floor pack similar in layout to what they did for the larger Model S. It may end up being more about cost than space constraints...

Last edited:
I'm guessing from past announcements we will see a prototype (maybe not gen 3) in Feb. Tesla doesn't need to build a factory, find suppliers, design from the ground up, ect. So I think we would see a time frame similar to the model X.

Also while watching the Tesla episode of mega factories on NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC, I couldn't help but notice in the design/clay room. That there are three cars, in a row from left to right they are a model x, model s, and model s look alike. But if you look at the belt line between the wheel the car looks like the wheel base is slightly shorter. To me it looks like a coupe version of the S. similar to the M5 coupe. I know discussion before was on a clay model. But that was at a different period of time, and in a employee hire video.

I'm not sure we'll see anything in February personally. Tesla has a lot of buzz to ride on in the new year. X amount of cars delivered, new updates to the car, new stores and service centers rolling out and new superchargers going up.

Once they've exhausted that, then they'll likely share some model x info since it'll be due in about a year from that point vs a car that's still likely 2 years out IMO.

I agree that February would not seem likely. Perhaps something at the end of 2013. Perhaps another October Event for the X and then some announcement of the GENIII in December :)
A person could wish.

- - - Updated - - -

For Model S, my understanding is that the 60kWh pack is the same dimensional size as the 85kWh.
Inside the case it may have a similar # of lower capacity cells, or a lesser number of the same cells, but with some empty space.

For GenIII, I assume they would have higher density cells by then so they could (in theory) make even smaller packs.

But, for the sake of argument, if they used the existing 85kWh Model S pack type cells then they could make a 60kWh pack that is about 60/85 the size (~70%) for a smaller car.

In other words, I think they could use current tech to make a 60kWh BMW 3 series sized vehicle with an under floor pack similar in layout to what they did for the larger Model S. It may end up being more about cost than space constraints...

The could extend the battery underneath the Frunk and Trunk to give it more room. It keeps the flat floor and low center of gravity. Underneath the Frunk might not work because of AWD ideas and the steering mechanism but there is nothing underneath the trunk in the Model S (Cubby for the rear facing seats)

That might cause problems in a crash, the battery would take a more direct hit. I think they'll keep it within the wheelbase.

Agreed. Why play with something that works? Tesla is going to want this car to be mass marketed and doing anything too bizarre or risky is just asking for problems down the line. The battery pack will be the size and shape to be between the front and rear axle. I also expect the motor to go between the rear wheels for crash safety making the Gen III a rear wheel drive car just like the Model S. I expect that for mass market acceptance that Tesla would prefer it to be FWD. It's an interesting dilemna.

And to bring this back to the topic of the thread - I'm going to guess late 2013 before we see the Gen III prototype. Knowing Tesla and Elon it will probably be at a time to give the stock a big boost.