TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Gen III's Model X-like crossover

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Grendal, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Let's start the discussion.

Smaller falcon doors?

Model Y?

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Like the Ford Transit Connect EV?

Is it going to be E UTE tiful?

What letter? "Y"?

3. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

IMO the falcon doors choice for Gen III's Model X-like crossover will depend upon how much successful will be the Model X. If the Model X will be very successful falcon doors will be present also on Gen III's Model X-like crossover.

4. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

I agree. I do wish personally they will go for normal doors though so there can be a full size roof rack to carry cargo boxes, canoes, kayaks, etc. I know they mention they will have some kind of solutions for the Model X but I don't think this includes big items like canoes and cargo boxes. For me if falcon doors mean no roof rack then my choice will have to be gen III 'sedan' instead of crossover, which is still a fine choice :)

5. mrdoubleb

mrdoubleb Active Member

Yeah, i think Falcon doors are a relativley complicated and thus expensive design. Great for a luxury SUV, makes it really stand out, but not too good for a more affordable car.
    I kind of like Model Y, guys! Could stand for "Young" or "Youth" (traget audience of an X3 class car) and is also the next letter after X, so makes sense in many ways.

6. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Not to mention on a shorter, and thinner vehicle having traditional swing doors becomes less of a problem. And if there isn't a third row (difficult on a vehicle that small) you won't need the same massive openings. So I agree that falcon doors on the Gen III SUV probably won't happen.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

So is this the size of an Amigo? Juke? Outback?

8. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Outback would be a good choice. 1st picture below.
    CrossOver.PNG

9. viperboy

viperboy Member

Hopefully it's an Evoke competitor. My WAG (Wild A** Guess) is that the falcon doors stay a premium feature. Even the baby Lamborghini (Gallardo) has "normal" doors and not "lambo" doors

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

It would be a defining feature and great for any cab. Maybe a cheaper way would be to have sliding doors.

11. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I agree. Maybe Falcon doors as a luxury upgrade instead of included. Or maybe just plain regular four doors.

12. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

If Gen III is a 3 series sized car, then I would expect the crossover to be an X3 competitor, which is a hair larger than the Honda CRV or the Toyota RAV4. This segment also represents the highest selling size of SUV.

13. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Agree. Plus price is likely to be comparable. MPG will be a huge advantage to Gen3, but that is not news
    XDrive28I, $39,600 2.OL 21 city/28 highway
    XDrive35I, $44,700 3.OL 19 city/26 highway
    http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/x3/2014/

14. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Yes I full expect Rav4 sized, the newest one is actually quite big. I think the new CRV is also bigger, but I haven't actually seen many of them; or at least don't notice them.

15. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

What I find interesting is that we already have a Rav4 sized Tesla powered EV, but it doesn't sell.
    Part of it is the price, which is coming down, and part is that it's a Toyota, not a Tesla.

Waiting for Tesla to work its magic!

16. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

17. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Yeah, Rav4 EV = not great range, poor acceleration, no supercharging (or any DC charging for that matter), retrofit design.

18. evme

evme Member

The price is a factor and it being a Toyota is a factor. The range is also a factor (It is smaller than even the 40kwh Model S). But I think the biggest factor is that it is California only and that if you drive it outside of California, Toyota won't support it.

19. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

The Rav4EV has much more potential than its sale numbers reflect. If Toyota actually wanted to sell it, they would sell very well. If Toyota did the following, the RAV4EV would easily outsell all other plugins:

1. Replace the resistance heater with a heat pump (would give the vehicle a real world 100+ mile range in standard charge mode in all but the most extreme climates)
    2. Cut the price down to < $40,000. Toyota routinely offers rebates bringing the car down to this price, simply officially bring the car down to this price, and drastically more people will look at it. The $50k sticker price keeps away allot of buyers.
    3. Make it available to the entire country.
    4. Brag about the fact that it has Tesla internals.
    5. Add Level 3 Charging.
    6. Offer an optional leather interior.

Even without these changes, if the Rav4 EV was available in Ohio, I would likely be driving one instead of a Volt right now.

20. DuncanWatson

DuncanWatson Member

I agree with you, Rifleman, on points 1-6. I am driving a Ford Focus Electric instead and I could see my wife in the Rav4 if it had the features you listed in addition to those it has.