Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen1 and Gen2 charge cords - compatible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Floyd Pink

Armed and extremely gregarious
Jun 4, 2021
Richmond, VA
Gen 1 Model S, purchased December 2016, I used the 14-50 cord that came with the car to charge, 220 outlet.

Purchased a Gen 2 Model 3, February 2018. it charged just fine using the aforementioned cord that came with the S.

The cord stopped working, just this morning. I plugged it into the 3, nothing happened, the 3 didn't think the cord has been inserted. Doesn't lock in.

I unplugged the old cord, replaced it with the shiny unused cord that came with the 3. Ding! The 3 is charging just fine now.

Here's the question: When I eventually plug the Model 3's cord into the Gen1 Model S, will the S charge just fine, or is the 3's cord not backward compatible?

Yes, they are fully compatible in both directions. That's as far as the cord to the car. As you should have noticed, though, they changed the format for the adapter plugs, so those can't be swapped back and forth between the two types of cords. They just don't fit.

Thanks for the replies, everyone is correct, everything fits, everything works.

>> they changed the format for the adapter plugs, so those can't be swapped back and forth between the two types of cords.

Also correct, $45 for the new adapter plug. And $275 for the charge kit itself.