Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen1 vs Gen2 roof rack mounts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When getting a minor repair done on a sunroof gasket, the technician told me I had Gen 1 roof rack mounts, and they could swap them out for Gen2 roof racks - - which involved pulling down the headliner and detaching the Gen 1 mounts. I didn't like the idea of moving the headliner around and as I don't intend to install roof racks, is there any other need to upgrade to Gen2 rack mounts?

Pretty sure you're not going to have much choice. I suspect they're not doing this because they want to make your car better. The trim pieces on either side of the glass (on the roof side) for the early cars are ... *sugar*. Little more than a thin sheet of plexiglass that breaks when removing. They also seem to be on permanent backorder... The later trim pieces (Gen2) are substantial and can be (relatively) easily be removed and re-installed w/o breaking.

That said, I'd be curious how this is going to be accomplished. Below is a picture of the before/after mounts.
image_2.jpg

These are the views from the bottom of the mounts.

On the right is the Gen1 design. There's two bolts that protrude through the roof frame and the offset hole is what you attach the roof rack to.

On the left is the Gen2 mount. It's a much studier piece of machined block that uses thru bolts from the bottom to attach to the roof frame. On the other side are the holes you screw the roof rack to.
The problem is the holes in the roof (and pano) frame. Notice the Gen1 bolts are ~1/2" further apart then the Gen2 holes.

If you're having the SC do the work, I'd be really curious if you could get the part numbers for the replacement mounts (gen2 mounts that fit gen1 holes). When I took both pieces to my local SC, the only SKU they could find involved replacing the entire pano. A seriously pricey solution to replace a busted trim piece.

Re-drilling holes in the roof frame wasn't an option so I ended up getting a machinist to mill some mounts that would fit using the Gen2 design, but the Gen1 thru-holes.