Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen2 HPWC charging cable tight fit in charge port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Gen2 HPWC installed and my office. When plugging the charging handle in to my 2020 MX, the fit is very tight. So much so that sometimes it doesn't seat fully and I get an orange or red light on the MX charge port indicating a fault or slow charge speed. If I remove and re-seat with a little more force, I get a normal charge response. At home I use a Gen3 which appears to have a smaller charging handle and don't experience this problem.

Have any of you experienced this problem? Any solutions?

I just installed a Gen 2 at my home and noticed the same thing. It's way more snug and requires more effort to get it to lock in vs the mobile charger I have been using. I just figured being brand new it just needs broken in. Perhaps not...

I would guess it was manufactured slightly larger to have a better water/rain seal given its designed for up to 80A. Or the electrical connection inside is much beefier for the 80A and requires more physical force to connect them (more surface area touching = more friction).

Reactions: Ilguy
It's not on purpose for any reason. There are just sometimes different tolerances on the fractions of a millimeter, and the handle versus the port have a just barely noticeable size difference. If it were me, personally, I would just take a little bit of very fine sand paper and give a little bit of polish around the outside of the handle and the inside edges of the port to smooth the plastic down a little and create just a bit more margin to slide in.

Reactions: Krash and Ilguy