Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen2 HPWC charging cable tight fit in charge port

Ilguy

Jan 22, 2020
Chicago
I have a Gen2 HPWC installed and my office. When plugging the charging handle in to my 2020 MX, the fit is very tight. So much so that sometimes it doesn't seat fully and I get an orange or red light on the MX charge port indicating a fault or slow charge speed. If I remove and re-seat with a little more force, I get a normal charge response. At home I use a Gen3 which appears to have a smaller charging handle and don't experience this problem.

Have any of you experienced this problem? Any solutions?

Verranzo

Jan 9, 2018
Denver
I just installed a Gen 2 at my home and noticed the same thing. It's way more snug and requires more effort to get it to lock in vs the mobile charger I have been using. I just figured being brand new it just needs broken in. Perhaps not...

I would guess it was manufactured slightly larger to have a better water/rain seal given its designed for up to 80A. Or the electrical connection inside is much beefier for the 80A and requires more physical force to connect them (more surface area touching = more friction).

Reactions: Ilguy

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
It's not on purpose for any reason. There are just sometimes different tolerances on the fractions of a millimeter, and the handle versus the port have a just barely noticeable size difference. If it were me, personally, I would just take a little bit of very fine sand paper and give a little bit of polish around the outside of the handle and the inside edges of the port to smooth the plastic down a little and create just a bit more margin to slide in.

Reactions: Krash and Ilguy

Krash

Data Technician
Supporting Member
Apr 18, 2017
Intermountain US
This is especially an issue is when you winter travel and the outside port is cold (contracted) while the J1772 adapter has been inside the car and warm (expanded). Super tight fit, sometimes making partial contact at a much reduced rate until reinserted.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC