Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen2 Mobile connector GFCI error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need some expert opinions. We had a 2015 Model S which charged in our garage for 7 years using NEMA 14-50 and a Gen 1 mobile connector, never a problem. We just took delivery of a new Model S - of course including the Gen2 mobile connector. (Love the new S even more).
However, the Gen2 connector now faults pretty much no matter what i do. The error in the car says Mobile connector GFCI tripped. I was able to charge with it twice, but now not at all. I want to exchange it with Tesla but am expecting they will say i need to get an electrician to check our outlet. But the old car / charger combo had no issue ever. Is the Gen 2 charger more sensitive/overly sensitive? Should i try to come up with a gen 1 charger, or suck it up and have an electrician come out to test our ground?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have the ability to do a bit more testing to try and pin down whether it's the UMC or your actual wiring/install? That's what I'd try. If the UMC works well in another location, that would be good data to have. If it fails in another location, you've proven pretty clearly that's the culprit and not your outlet.

Reactions: Olle and ATPMSD
not sure about the mobile connector but the Wall Connecter explicitly say to not use GFCI breaker, so maybe something similar with the Mobile gen 2

Get an electrician and figure out the problem because if there is really an issue then the GFCI is doing its job and protecting you.

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 8.42.06 AM.png

not sure about the mobile connector but the Wall Connecter explicitly say to not use GFCI breaker, so maybe something similar with the Mobile gen 2

Get an electrician and figure out the problem because if there is really an issue then the GFCI is doing its job and protecting you.

View attachment 806536
The car only knows about the GFCI in the mobile connector. It’s his mobile connector that is detecting something is wrong.

The car only knows about the GFCI in the mobile connector. It’s his mobile connector that is detecting something is wrong.
Update in case others have problems. We had an electrician test the 14-50 outlet And everything is tight and tests fine. If I leave the UMC unplugged for 1-2 hours it will work for 1 charge. So pretty sure it’s a bad UMC . Now Tesla wants me to get an appt in a week to show them the bad UMC , then they put me on the waitlist as the UMCs are back ordered. So I have no way to charge at home (110 outlet won’t work either), and they will charge me to supercharge. Should I just show up at service shop and see if they have anything in stock?

Update in case others have problems. We had an electrician test the 14-50 outlet And everything is tight and tests fine. If I leave the UMC unplugged for 1-2 hours it will work for 1 charge. So pretty sure it’s a bad UMC . Now Tesla wants me to get an appt in a week to show them the bad UMC , then they put me on the waitlist as the UMCs are back ordered. So I have no way to charge at home (110 outlet won’t work either), and they will charge me to supercharge. Should I just show up at service shop and see if they have anything in stock?
Get a wall connector. And when you get the new UMC just keep it in your car. I consider the UMC as Backup.

Also, is the circuit GFCI? The unit has its own GFCI, and a GFCI breaker should not be installed on the circuit. They won't play well together.
My neighbor had this problem. Outdoor rated outlet (on a covered porch near his driveway) was on a gfci breaker and it “disagreed” with the gfci built into the mobile connector. Don’t know if it is your problem, but first thing I’d check …

Reactions: DerbyDave
Thanks for the help. I don’t have a GFCI on my outlet. I went to the Tesla service center and they tried my charger in the shop. Of course it worked first try (because it had been unplugged for an hour), and they said they don’t have any new ones anyway. I had them let it charge 15min. then stop it and try again. And it faulted. They also looked up my charge log and must have seen the 30 ground errors or something. Somehow they eventually came up with a new one, and it works in my garage perfectly. Was like pulling teeth to get them to exchange it, but if you think your outlet is fine, it is possible to get a faulty charger.

Reactions: David.85D
Need some expert opinions. We had a 2015 Model S which charged in our garage for 7 years using NEMA 14-50 and a Gen 1 mobile connector, never a problem. We just took delivery of a new Model S - of course including the Gen2 mobile connector. (Love the new S even more).
However, the Gen2 connector now faults pretty much no matter what i do. The error in the car says Mobile connector GFCI tripped. I was able to charge with it twice, but now not at all. I want to exchange it with Tesla but am expecting they will say i need to get an electrician to check our outlet. But the old car / charger combo had no issue ever. Is the Gen 2 charger more sensitive/overly sensitive? Should i try to come up with a gen 1 charger, or suck it up and have an electrician come out to test our ground?

Thanks in advance.
I’ve used the gen2 mobile charger perhaps three times in different address locations using the NEMA 5-15 supplied plug. Plug got quite warm in a 95 degree parking area for two hours. Since then it’s had this one flash red T and the four green esla. It’s half rate now when home testing it. I believe the equipment doesn’t reset heat sensors, chips, or wire resistance in the plug wire adapter itself. Probably needs a new NEMA 5-15 cord adapter. It’s not the connection between the transformer and plug, or the car as it’s brand new. I’ve tested for voltage between neutral and ground and nothing registers, and the gfci is not the issue either as it does this just plugging the mobile unit in the wall. I’m taking it around to friends places just plugging it in the wall to see if it will self heal. 😂. Gen3 Mobile?
8C3E7AF2-DB88-4F44-BBE8-BA49BC313A46.jpeg