Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen2 Mobile Connector Outdoors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to decide between just using mobile connector and a wall charger. My commute is about 60 miles a day so I think the MC will be fine. However I may not always be able to be in the garage. I was thinking of putting the outlet/charger by the door and if needed let the door close on it or which I'm sure this is a big no-no: putting like a dryer vent or something with a trap through the wall to slip the cable through. I'm sure both of these ideas are horrible but I believe I've read of other people not having issue with the door closing on the cable. I do have some concern about the MC though, I believe it's not supposed to be used in heavy rain/sleet/snow. Is that just the plug end which would be in a closed garage or the car end?

The Mobile Connector would be adequate for your daily charging needs. The Mobile Connector plugs into a receptacle (can be 120V or 240V.) Anytime you have a receptacle outdoors you have an issue with water getting into the plug connection. You can use a weather cover for the receptacle but this is not ideal.

The Mobile Connector chassis (the electronics unit) is not all weather rated. It can get wet but it should not be exposed to the elements long term else it will be damaged, eventually stop working. The Tesla charging cord connector is designed for use in all weather conditions.

The Wall Connector addresses the receptacle water intrusion issue by skipping this as a potential point of failure. The Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired, there is no power plug. The Wall Connector has a NEMA Level 4 rating for use in all weather conditions. The Wall Connector can be installed outdoors with no concern for the elements. This is perhaps the main benefit of the Wall Connector other than being able to charge at 40 amps and 48 amps while the Mobile Connector is limited to 32 amps. (There is a corded Mobile Connector that can charge at 40 amps however the power plug is a fixed 14-50 plug.)

Some have installed a pass through in the wall next to the garage door so that the charging cable can be used outside the garage. One issue with both the Wall Connector and the Mobile Connector is that the Tesla charging cord is only 18ft long. This will limit your options if you plan to charge outside your garage. You would need to back up the Tesla to the garage so the charging cord could reach the charging port (located on the driver's side by the rear turn signal.)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jpfive
The Wall Connector chassis (the electronics unit) is not all weather rated. It can get wet but it should not be exposed to the elements long term else it will be damaged, eventually stop working. The Tesla charging cord connector is designed for use in all weather conditions.
Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking you meant mobile connector there? So I don't really have to worry about the car end, it's really just the plug/charge box end I don't want sitting in the snow? If that's the case then I think I'll just install a 14-50 near the garage door. So I can plug in while in the garage and if I back into the space in front of the garage I should be good too. I'll have them run 6ga or whatever 60amp needs and I can probably change it myself later. There's just certain times a year where the garage gets filled with crap and we can only park one car in there.

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking you meant mobile connector there? So I don't really have to worry about the car end, it's really just the plug/charge box end I don't want sitting in the snow? If that's the case then I think I'll just install a 14-50 near the garage door. So I can plug in while in the garage and if I back into the space in front of the garage I should be good too. I'll have them run 6ga or whatever 60amp needs and I can probably change it myself later. There's just certain times a year where the garage gets filled with crap and we can only park one car in there.
Yes, good catch. I was able to edit the post.

The 60A circuit generally requires 4 gauge wire. If you install the Wall Connector you only need 2/1 wire (no neutral). The 14-50 receptacle requires 3/1 wire (ground and neutral.) You could install the 6-50 receptacle (only needs 2/1 wire.)

I believe that a 60 amp circuit can be safely used (and meet code) with a Gen 3 Home Wall Charger when it is hardwired using 6awg thhn wires through conduit back to the breaker box. I don't know if there is a length restriction. My electrician set up mine that way and it charges at a 48amp rate (for a while).

Reactions: Rocky_H
Or find a Gen2 WC that doesn’t need WiFi to work. And a 20ft cable. Much thicker but it can charge at higher rate if your car accepts it. I have no issues with mine going under my garage door given that you have a soft flexible bottom of door seal.
The (gen 3) Wall Connector doesn't need wifi to work either - it's just nice to have as it allows for firmware updates.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H