Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen3 "BlueStar" 2-door coupe styling ideas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would be cool is for Gen 3 to have one of each body style matching the Gen 2.
So they would have a 4/5 scale Model S variant, a 4/5 scale Model X variant, along with the Roadster we expect.
This would be similar to the way BMW has sedans and SUVs of different sizes based on their different platforms (e.g.: M3/X3, M5/X5, M6/X6, etc...)
Battery tech should evolve so that in 2015+ we can get the same range from smaller size packs.

They are in good hands with Franz and team, but I like some styling queues from these:
Scion-FRS-image-e13037483617291.jpg

lexus-CT200H-F-Sport-01-570x397.jpg

440x330-rear34.jpg

Last edited:
I know it is personal taste and I think it is a fun car but you actually like the styling of the Subaru?

I guess I am more into the clean streamline look.

Smaller models of the bigger car, although restyled to match their size would be nice.

I know it is personal taste and I think it is a fun car but you actually like the styling of the Subaru?...
That is the Toyota/Scion version ("FRS"), but yeah I do like the styling of both. To each his own I guess.

Subaru version ("BRZ"):
subaru_brz_rear_view.jpg

Toyota/Scion version ("FRS"):
2013-scion-fr-s-photo-432697-s-520x318.jpg

Last edited:
That is the Toyota/Scion version ("FRS"), but yeah I do like the styling of both. To each his own I guess.

Subaru version ("BRZ"):

Sorry, I mistook the middle picture for a wrx. I actually don't mind the BRZ too much.

@vfx: I agree with you that Elon will deliver. I do think a mini X would fit as part of a genIII car.

Having a narrow car really helps in Boston traffic.

The city of Amsterdam (not the one in Montgomery County, NY, USA) had plans to ban all traffic from the inner city wider than 185cm (73"). Not too long ago I owned a Suzuki Cappuccino (tiny two-seater) that was 140cm (55") wide. Now that helps in city traffic! :smile:

On a more serious note, anything above 70" is nothing more than a waste of range.

2012 BMW 335i Sedan

Width: 71.3 in.
Height: 56.3 in.
Length: 182.5 in.
Front track: 60.3 in.
Rear track: 61.9 in.
Wheel base: 110.6 in.

Seems like a pretty good size for Gen III platform. Must have a performance version (aka M3-killer). :cool:

Note, VFX's mock-up door is a lot wider than the BMWs. That would make it easier for rear seat passengers to climb in, but would also make it hard to open the doors in tight spaces such as garages, and compact parking spaces. Also having the B pillar provides a place to mount seat belts, air-bags, and provides some crash protection. So, it might make sense for the doors to be smaller like you see on the BMW.

I think it would be nice to have a "hot hatch" type car to get the most out the amount of space in a smaller car. (OK, so I drive a VW Golf GTI and might be partial to that style). I am not suggesting it would have to be that boxy.

How about a mini model X (model MX?). It would have the same overall rounded shape to allow for the required headroom. The COG would still be low because of the large battery pack. The car could even have Falcon doors to cover both the front row and the second row of seats. This would take care of the 2-door problem :)

A rounded shape like the Model X with a shorter nose and extremely short overhangs would make for a compact car that still has enough interior space to be useful. We could have a two motor version to allow for better traction and efficiency. It would certainly not look like an old Buick...
If the Falcon doors are too inconvenient ,too expensive or too heavy, then at least use suicide door in the back.

BTW: I drive a two door car now and since it is mostly me driving the car, I really don't care about not having back doors. The larger doors are much easier to get in and out of except for in narrow spaces. I might have had people in the backseat 3 times since I bought the car 5 years ago. Nice to have the option though.
Even nicer if the back seats could move all the way back in case I have passengers and no luggage.

@VFX: Any chance for you to create a Mini Model X Image?

I also drive a hatch (06 Audi A3 3.2L) and would love to see a GenIII hatch variant with AWD (in the performance edition of course)! Here is a very quick take on a Model X based hatch from an amateur photoshopper ...

Mini Model X.jpg