TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Gen3 "BlueStar" 4-door sedan styling ideas

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by TEG, Nov 11, 2007.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#1 TEG, Nov 11, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    bs4a.jpg
    bs4b.jpg
    bs4c.jpg

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#2 TEG, Nov 11, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    Another idea:
    KVB_159.gif

3. EV_de

EV_de Model SP10/XP9 EU ZOE#47

I hope it's more like a Mercedes B-Class (since TM have a partnership with Mercedes ...)

Mercedes_B_Klasse_2008_002.jpg

Mercedes_B_Klasse_2008_003.jpg

4. Serge

Serge Member

Well, there are design solutions in "small size" range, which do not sacrifice 2 doors.
    [​IMG]
    Honda Fit
    [​IMG]
    Nissan Versa
    [​IMG]
    Toyota Auris / Yaris

The latter duo also has sedan versions. Of course, might as well list:
    [​IMG]

It all depends on what market segment TM will target with Blue Star.

5. DAL

DAL Member

#5 DAL, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  6. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Hi DAL

Great images, although Tesla have enough of a tough time trying to get significant numbers of peoples' heads round their technology, so unfortunately I think their styling is likely to stay this side of "reasuringly familiar".

Aptera are definitely more open to radical styling :)

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Agreed. The Roadster has analog gauges, a 3 position switch in the form of a "stick shift" and the required digital screen hidden down by the driver's knee. No high tech leaning there. The model S is a bit more future-forward but it is more of a natural progression than some mega-leap like the disruptive technology under the hood.

8. Serge

Serge Member

The LEAF is now a direct competitor of BlueStar. What might TM's strategy for wider market be? A "Performance" family sedan?

9. EV_de

absolutely, the BlueStar must be Fit for "Autobahn" (Highway), 100mph+x, by 100miles Range
    otherwise it's a city-car, or simply to Green....

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I'm still thinking the BlueStar will be a two door. Franz said he would have preffed the Model S as a two door. A smaller car with an amazing design will need to be a two door.

11. Serge

Serge Member

I would be happy with sub 100 mph top speed - say 90 mph. Give me range (either via big battery or fast charge capability) and reasonable acceleration (0-60 under 10 sec) and that's all the performance I need. Top speeds over 100 mph are Roadster territory IMHO.

12. EV_de

#12 EV_de, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#13 vfx, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
    Just saw the Honda Type R on Top Gear (from 2006).

Looked like a great styling exercise for the Bluestar. 2007HondaCivicTypeR.jpg honda-civic-hatch-type-r-3-big.jpg geneve-honda-civic-type-r-1b.jpg
    Even the GT version is cheap.

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Both these threads cover the same ground. I guess that just happens after 2 years and similar titles.

I think it's a good idea to name the cars in case Franz wants to look at them further. :rolleyes:

16. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Plus Model S - Sedan; Model T - "Two door" :smile:

17. NUAETIUS

NUAETIUS Member

#17 NUAETIUS, Aug 22, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
    Mr. Musk is all about incremental design in all his companies, so how about this for a Bluestar

-Cab forward design similar to the above Prius, rear similar to the Model S.
    -Based on Mercedes-Benz A-Class Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Also sold with Mercedes branding.
    -Shares interior design with Model S, but middle screen is only touch on the bottom half (no seams).
    -2 front seats, and 2 rear facing seats, based off back 2 seats of the Model S, but upgraded to full adult seats, accessible from rear of vehicle. Able to be folded down for extra storage
    -0-60 in 7 seconds, base 100 mile range, top speed 90mph (no less, because the vehicle must be able to be match the maximum freeway speed in all countries, including Germany). Upgradable range to 300 miles (you would loose the front trunk) after market. Each 100 miles takes half the truck
    -Available LCD screen embedded in back of hatch (only available big screen TV in a car). All web conections, and customizable interfaces brought over from Model S.

18. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Sounds like an idea that could work.

19. JimmWilks

JimmWilks Member

Hmm, personally the main factors that matter to me are range, practicality, affordability, and mass production volume. I want bluestar to be the car that will fit the majorities need, and the majority budget. Less of the luxury, and more in the bank as a consequence will be key to Tesla's aim of changing the way we travel. 0 to 60 mph at 10 seconds would be nice, and I am happy with 80mph top speed, so I can hustle in an emergency but as far as I see it, anything above is a dangerous waste of energy. Weight and handling matters as well, but I think Tesla will sort that. :)

20. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Nissan Leaf is a good target now.
    If they can meet the price, make it a little more stylish, and give it a little more range...