Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen3 "BlueStar" 4-door sedan styling ideas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nissan Silvia:

Niss_Z34_01_fw2.jpg

The Bluestar has to be as mainstream as possible.
99% of the EV designs before tesla was "look at me how different I am" and they were rated as "butt ugly" by the Mainstream.
Even Elon says that and his goal was always to make cars that appeal to the Mainstream.

So I don't get it why so many User here are posting redic. beyond any Mainstream design that would appeal only to a minority of people.
That would bring the whole EV story back to the beginning of "oh look at that butt ugly car, must be an EV"

In my opinion even the Falcon Wing door will be a little concern to lots of people.
People just don't like change or they feel very insecure about change and want to go this path in small steps. So confronting people with an EV, total different design, and some weird doors that would prob. hit the ceiling in lots of parking lots is quite a problem.
I kinda have the feeling that the Model S will also be offered with regular doors.

Same with Model S the very first Prototype, it looked much different to the final Model, the Frunk was weirdly blown up, it had blue LEDs in the front. and some other Odd design points.

If Elon plans to sell this Car to millions than it has to be MAINSTREAM.

If Elon plans to sell this Car to millions than it has to be MAINSTREAM.
Mainstream is boring, and this car, like the S, needs to excite, it can't look like a Corolla. It also must get amazing range from the battery pack to keep the price down, unless there is an incredible boost in density and large drop in price in the next two years, which I don't expect.

Mainstream is boring, and this car, like the S, needs to excite, it can't look like a Corolla. It also must get amazing range from the battery pack to keep the price down, unless there is an incredible boost in density and large drop in price in the next two years, which I don't expect.

Definitely agree car needs to be exciting. Many have said it will compete with the BMW 3 series both in size and price. A smaller Model S type with two door and 4 door options would be fine with me. However, still needs to be distinctive and not simply a smaller clone. My guess is the car will sell in the $30k-$50k range since anything in the 20's will be a boring Corolla with limited range. 200+ range.

I'm expecting styling with strong S "cues" so you know they are related but a little more radical aero profile. I'm imagining shorter rear with more of a chopped Kammback and a front that has the hood and windshield at a similar slope. Yes I just describe a Prius but that's not really what I'm "seeing" in my head, I think Franz will make it cool.

Definitely agree car needs to be exciting. Many have said it will compete with the BMW 3 series both in size and price. A smaller Model S type with two door and 4 door options would be fine with me. However, still needs to be distinctive and not simply a smaller clone. My guess is the car will sell in the $30k-$50k range since anything in the 20's will be a boring Corolla with limited range. 200+ range.

The BMW 3-series is exactly the target. There is nothing radical about the 3-series' design; it *is* mainstream. Still, it's lean, athletic, and attractive (to many people, including myself).

Model S is beautiful, but not groundbreaking styling-wise, and that's perfect IMO. If GenIII is a mini Model S with 4 doors, a 300-mile range and priced around $40k, I'll buy one. (I think it'll be $55k though with the 300 mile pack...I hope I'm wrong).

Besides drivetrain, Tesla has chosen its spots to be innovative/differentiate. Based on owners' reports on this forum, I think Tesla succeeded -- perhaps wildly -- with the touchscreen. The door handles are a mixed bag (signature item but not really practical IMO). TBD on the Falcon doors. What will they do differently on the GenIII? Self-driving option? Cameras for side mirrors?

I think the only thing that needs to be different is price. A smaller, cheaper Model S would be truly mainstream.
Based on reviews and customer feedback so far, Tesla is moving in the right direction. In order to truly bring GEN3 to market, a smaller version of Model S with 200+ range at a $25k price point will have a big impact. Time to put those new battery technologies to the test. Range and price are going to be the big motivators for the masses.

10 years from now I well could be.
according to EV battery price prediction by McKinsey that are predicting 180$/kWh in 2022 (Model S battery is 600$/kWh)
and an presentation slide from he Stanford Seminar by Dave huff a Tesla Motors engineer that a Bluestar baseprise without Battery would be 15k$ its very promising to have a 25k$ EV with 200miles range.

For the 2015 Model that is obviously not possible yet. But a 30K$ Bluestar with 40kW battery pack wouldn't be impossible.