Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen3 HPWC disassembly, with overheating issues explained!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2. Sounds like the WCv3 is not really well engineered. I don't want to go thru the trouble (and expense) to have a subpar product and run into the same problems, and risks (read: electrical fire) after all said & done. Has the -F been solid?
-F is definitely not solid, it was prone to the overheating issue.

I don't think I've heard of overheating issues on any -G or later revisions.

I think the WCv3 is actually pretty good, but I'm not really a power engineer,

Reactions: Art VandeIay
-F is definitely not solid, it was prone to the overheating issue.

I don't think I've heard of overheating issues on any -G or later revisions.

I think the WCv3 is actually pretty good, but I'm not really a power engineer,
My bad, I meant the -G, as that's what I'd be buying. I guess it can't be worse than the UMCv2, so I'll take a gamble on it. I wonder if the CMC was any good, but I don't think they'll make that anymore. I do wonder why Clipper Creek stuff is so expensive, a 48A WC from them is ~$1k, 2.5x the price of a Tesla WCv3.

Last edited:
I added active cooling for the UMCv2 so I can charge and will see what Tesla Mobile Service decides to do on Mon (my appt). I would like to get thru the summer w/o a WC and not have to worry about it till next summer (curious to see where the whole CCS thing will be in 1 year, tho one of our two cars does not have support for it).

FYI, I saw this sweet thing that will charge 2 cars and split 40A all on a 14-50, were the price not 3x+ what it should be it'd be an instabuy 😜

Thanks y'all!

I added active cooling for the UMCv2 so I can charge and will see what Tesla Mobile Service decides to do on Mon (my appt). I would like to get thru the summer w/o a WC and not have to worry about it till next summer (curious to see where the whole CCS thing will be in 1 year, tho one of our two cars does not have support for it).

FYI, I saw this sweet thing that will charge 2 cars and split 40A all on a 14-50, were the price not 3x+ what it should be it'd be an instabuy 😜

Thanks y'all!
Wouldn't just buying two Wall Connectors ($400 each, $800 total) be a better deal than that $1,500 clipper creek "sweet thing"?
Plus the Wall Connectors will do dynamic current allocation, while the clipper creek unit just splits the charge rate in half for each vehicle.

Reactions: Olle and Rocky_H
I do wonder why Clipper Creek stuff is so expensive,
That question is a bit backward. Clipper Creek is on par with almost all other manufacturers of EVSE equipment. The real question is why Tesla stuff is so inexpensive? Their prices on mobile and wall mounted EVSE devices is way cheaper than any other decently reputable company. (Sure, you can get crappy untrustworthy dangerous stuff for low prices too, but that's not comparable here.)

Reactions: brkaus