TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

GEN3 Signature Reservation: How much, will you do it and what makes it worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by aronth5, Jun 16, 2013.

  1. aronth5

    aronth5 Long Time Follower

    May 8, 2010
    Boston Suburb
    While everyone waits 2-3 years before being able to make a Gen3 reservation I thought the following questions would be interesting to discuss:

    How much will it cost for a Signature reservation?
    -Since Elon has said the Gen3 will cost about half the cost of a MS I'll go with $20k.

    How many?
    Just a wild guess. 1,500 in North America, 750 in Europe, 500 in Asia and maybe by then 250 in South America.

    Will you be placing a Signature reservation and why?
    -Put me in the maybe category. Mostly to get an early delivery date but that will largely depend on Tesla's ramp up and the projected delivery timeline.
    And I'm hoping there may be some other extras that make it worthwhile.

    There was a lengthy discussion thread on the Model S and many said they wouldn't do a Signature reservation again.
    So maybe we can give Tesla some ideas so they will make it worthwhile to make a Signature reservation for the Gen3.
  2. Kevin Harney

    Kevin Harney Active Member

    Apr 30, 2008
    Herndon, VA
    I am seriously considering a Gen 3 if it compares nicely to my current 3 Series. I see no value in getting a signature.
  3. Doug_G

    Doug_G Lead Moderator

    Apr 2, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you're uber-keen to get the GenIII as soon as possible, and don't mind spending a premium to get it 2-3 months early, then sure, go for it.

    People who put their signature reservations in very late (just before they run out) have more benefit (in terms of "line jumping") than those who put them in early.

    Don't expect the value of the vehicle (extra features or resale) to reflect the extra money paid.
  4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

    ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

    Jul 12, 2012
    No signature, but they can do what they did with the S and produce high-spec models first (which actually makes sense from a production standpoint anyway.) I'd be going for a lower-spec model (heat pump/cold-weather package is all I really need) so I'd expect to have a wait. If they can't come through I'd have to make do with a Leaf.
  5. Rodolfo Paiz

    Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

    Nov 19, 2012
    Miami, FL
    I'll probably get a G3, but I'll wait until after the Signatures are done. No hurry for me, and I value the savings more than I do the time in this case.
  6. Grendal

    Grendal Active Member

    Jan 31, 2012
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Cost? I'll go with $20K too, half the price makes a lot of sense.

    How Many? 10K makes sense to me. They plan on making 200K a year so 10K is about three weeks of regular production. These will be die hard early adopters willing to accept delays and corrections more easily than a general production customer. This is what happened with the Sigs for the Model S so it should work in a company sense for the Gen III. 5K for Europe, 1K for Canada, and 1K for Asia

    Sig for me? Possibly. I'm thinking I might end up with an S since it will be so far out. My current plans call for buying a Tesla in 2015. Maybe I'll trade for the Gen III when it comes out.

    I'll add in the question: How long for the Gen III to reach full production? 12 months

    Last question: How long before all the Gen III Sigs are in the hands of customers? 4 months (The S took 5 1/2 months)

    That's my WAG while we're waiting.
  7. ryanjm

    ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

    Oct 10, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Despite what others have said about the Sig S experience, I'm in Day 1 for a Sig Gen3 -- so long as there's at least SOMETHING unique (i.e. a paint color, interior trim package, etc.). Since I can't afford Model S at this time I'm already waiting and waiting for Gen3, stuck driving my increasingly annoying ICE in the meantime.
  8. Rifleman

    Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

    Nov 29, 2011
    Harrison Ohio
    I may spring for a Sig, it will just depend on how much earlier it would get me the car. With my Volt Lease expiring in September 2015, anything I can do to get the Gen III sooner may be worth it (particularly as my current plan is to put my 2006 Trail Blazer back into front line service to bridge the gap between the Volt and Gen III)

Share This Page