Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GEN3 Signature Reservation: How much, will you do it and what makes it worthwhile?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aronth5

Long Time Follower
Supporting Member
May 8, 2010
Boston Suburb
While everyone waits 2-3 years before being able to make a Gen3 reservation I thought the following questions would be interesting to discuss:

How much will it cost for a Signature reservation?
-Since Elon has said the Gen3 will cost about half the cost of a MS I'll go with $20k.

How many?
Just a wild guess. 1,500 in North America, 750 in Europe, 500 in Asia and maybe by then 250 in South America.

Will you be placing a Signature reservation and why?
-Put me in the maybe category. Mostly to get an early delivery date but that will largely depend on Tesla's ramp up and the projected delivery timeline.
And I'm hoping there may be some other extras that make it worthwhile.

There was a lengthy discussion thread on the Model S and many said they wouldn't do a Signature reservation again.
So maybe we can give Tesla some ideas so they will make it worthwhile to make a Signature reservation for the Gen3.

If you're uber-keen to get the GenIII as soon as possible, and don't mind spending a premium to get it 2-3 months early, then sure, go for it.

People who put their signature reservations in very late (just before they run out) have more benefit (in terms of "line jumping") than those who put them in early.

Don't expect the value of the vehicle (extra features or resale) to reflect the extra money paid.

No signature, but they can do what they did with the S and produce high-spec models first (which actually makes sense from a production standpoint anyway.) I'd be going for a lower-spec model (heat pump/cold-weather package is all I really need) so I'd expect to have a wait. If they can't come through I'd have to make do with a Leaf.

How much will it cost for a Signature reservation?

How many?

Will you be placing a Signature reservation and why?

There was a lengthy discussion thread on the Model S and many said they wouldn't do a Signature reservation again.
So maybe we can give Tesla some ideas so they will make it worthwhile to make a Signature reservation for the Gen3.

Cost? I'll go with $20K too, half the price makes a lot of sense.

How Many? 10K makes sense to me. They plan on making 200K a year so 10K is about three weeks of regular production. These will be die hard early adopters willing to accept delays and corrections more easily than a general production customer. This is what happened with the Sigs for the Model S so it should work in a company sense for the Gen III. 5K for Europe, 1K for Canada, and 1K for Asia

Sig for me? Possibly. I'm thinking I might end up with an S since it will be so far out. My current plans call for buying a Tesla in 2015. Maybe I'll trade for the Gen III when it comes out.

I'll add in the question: How long for the Gen III to reach full production? 12 months

Last question: How long before all the Gen III Sigs are in the hands of customers? 4 months (The S took 5 1/2 months)

That's my WAG while we're waiting.

Despite what others have said about the Sig S experience, I'm in Day 1 for a Sig Gen3 -- so long as there's at least SOMETHING unique (i.e. a paint color, interior trim package, etc.). Since I can't afford Model S at this time I'm already waiting and waiting for Gen3, stuck driving my increasingly annoying ICE in the meantime.

I may spring for a Sig, it will just depend on how much earlier it would get me the car. With my Volt Lease expiring in September 2015, anything I can do to get the Gen III sooner may be worth it (particularly as my current plan is to put my 2006 Trail Blazer back into front line service to bridge the gap between the Volt and Gen III)