Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen3 Wall Charger - EV Compatibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - hopefully this isn't a silly question...I did have a look through the forums first to see if anyone else had asked but I couldn't find anything.

I'm a new Model 3 owner, and currently I'm just using the mobile charger at home to top up regularly.

My work is looking at installing a dedicated wall charger. After having a look around we found that the Tesla Gen3 charger was the cheapest (which surprised me, given the brand tax). We're in Australia, so it's all Type 2 adapters here.

The question I have is whether the Tesla Gen3 wall charging unit is able to charge non-Tesla EVs. Or is it software locked to only charge Tesla cars (this might explain why it's cheaper than the third party ones)?
The compatibility on the unit only lists Tesla models, but I'm not sure if that's just because it's showing which relevant Tesla models are compatible and doesn't really consider any other makes.

It's relevant because my work wants to ensure that any other employees or customers who come to site that have other makes of EVs, or even Hybrids, will be able to use the Type 2 charging standard/adapter.

I don't want to give misleading info, as I think it's great that they're looking to do this and wear the charging cost for us. And if the Tesla Gen3 is software locked then it would make sense to spend another $300-$400 and have a third party unit that's compatible with any makes.

Thanks!

The gen3 is not software locked, but to charge a non-tesla you'll either need to replace the entire cord(making it look like a j1772, AND voiding any warranty), or buy an adapter to make it become a j1772(which will promptly get stolen). The Gen3 will come with a tesla-specific charging handle.

Sorry to say, but the right course of action probably IS to get a native J1772 charger, or maybe even one of both(Tesla/J1772). Teslas can use a j1772 adapter that comes with the car.
Thanks! Is this correct for Australia though?
Australia set a standard for charging ports/adapters to be Type 2, and the Tesla Shop notes that the Gen3 comes with a "Type 2 handle". (Wall Connector)

I'm not familiar with the J1772 handle, but I know that when I go to third party charging stations here in Australia I can connect the Type 2 cable/handle straight into my Tesla, and any other make EV with a Type 2 port can do the same (no adapters required).

Charging your Tesla shows the port you get from an Australian HPWC.

The gen3 is not software locked(unless that's special in Australia), and apparently they come with a 'Type 2' connector which is common in Australian EV's, apparently. Seems like you should be fine with the Gen3.

I also vaguely recall a setting in the firmware(software controlled, selected by person provisioning the HPWC at install time) to tell it to not support non-teslas. No doubt someone from Australia will tell you more about it

Charging your Tesla shows the port you get from an Australian HPWC.

The gen3 is not software locked(unless that's special in Australia), and apparently they come with a 'Type 2' connector which is common in Australian EV's, apparently. Seems like you should be fine with the Gen3.

I also vaguely recall a setting in the firmware(software controlled, selected by person provisioning the HPWC at install time) to tell it to not support non-teslas. No doubt someone from Australia will tell you more about it

Thanks for your help! Here's hoping they haven't snuck something sneaky into the firmware. :)

Make sure you(or your company) select the 7.5m cable. Makes it easier for everyone.
Definitely will be choosing the long cable.

The Gen 3 can indeed charge non tesla cars from what I understand, unlike the Gen 2. It also has a built in RCD.
Great! Thanks for the help!

I'll pass on the info and let them decide - if they do go with the Gen3 I'll see if I can find someone with a non-Tesla car to test it out and report back. :)

It can be configured for all vehicles - see this clip from Tesla Tom's Ludicrous Feed channel (link should go straight to 5:02) -

Note that there are some Type 1 cars it won't work for (old gen Leaf, Jap import newer Leaf, some older PHEVs) but it will world for all new EVs sold in Australia in the last 3+ years (I can't think of any exceptions off the top of my head).

The Type 1 cars can still use it with an adaptor.

It can be configured for all vehicles - see this clip from Tesla Tom's Ludicrous Feed channel (link should go straight to 5:02) -

Note that there are some Type 1 cars it won't work for (old gen Leaf, Jap import newer Leaf, some older PHEVs) but it will world for all new EVs sold in Australia in the last 3+ years (I can't think of any exceptions off the top of my head).

The Type 1 cars can still use it with an adaptor.
Yeah I think it's reasonable to expect older cars with Type 1 ports to carry and use their own adapter.

Thanks Chuq, appreciate the video link!