Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen3 Wall Charger lights when idle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a Model 3 performance, and ordered the wall charger as well. The wall charger arrived already so I figured I'd install it and get it ready for when I take delivery of the car..

The charger is installed and working from and electrical standpoint. When it's turned on I get a pulsing single green light which I know means waiting for commissioning. Which I have answered those questions and completed that step. My concern or problem is the single green light pulses for about 30 seconds to a minute then goes to all the lights solid green for a few seconds, and then back to pulsing. It did this non stop for about 18 hours then I opened a support chat with Tesla. Tesla support is telling me this fine as long as they are green. Although the installation document says I have should have single solid green light when the charger is idle and not plugged into the car.

My question for those that have the gen3 charger...what lights are on when the charger is idle and not plugged into the car? Has anyone seen or been through my scenario before?

You are understanding correctly. There's something wrong, either the unit isn't commissioned at all or its malfunctioning. Did you associate it with your home wifi? (I'm not sure whether not having wifi counts as not-commissioned, I would hope not)

You are understanding correctly. There's something wrong, either the unit isn't commissioned at all or its malfunctioning. Did you associate it with your home wifi? (I'm not sure whether not having wifi counts as not-commissioned, I would hope not)
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's connected to my wifi. Funny thing you mentioned not being commissioned, because the second agent I chatted with today at Tesla said they saw my unit as commissioned. When I go to the commissioning page the only piece that isn't done is a software update.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's connected to my wifi. Funny thing you mentioned not being commissioned, because the second agent I chatted with today at Tesla said they saw my unit as commissioned. When I go to the commissioning page the only piece that isn't done is a software update.
Out of curiosity, have you tried to browse to the HPWC from your home network? You can't do anything with it, but it should still respond and give you a not-very-exciting webpage.

<ip> or <ip>/public gives you the same rather worthless webpage
<ip>/service gives you a page that can be used to update firmware or do a factory reset

There may be other options, but I haven't found them yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Just installed my Wall Connector today and it's doing the same thing. Mine is alternating 1 blinking green light and 4 solid green lights. I have set my breaker setting to 50AMP so the 4 solid green lights are correct.

I've googled the problem and seems to be common. Some said that the flashing light will go away once you start charging a Tesla. I'll be picking up my Model Y on Wednesday so we'll find out.

I vaguely recall something like this when I installed mine in October.

I believe I had to power cycle it as well as have an update install. It should now pulse green when idle and disconnected from the car.
According to the manual it's suppose to be solid green when idle. Pulsing green means waiting to be commissioned which is why OP it's concerned.

I did some more research last night, and I think this may be related to the type of wifi you are trying to connect to. I have mesh wifi which broadcasts a 2.4ghz & 5ghz SSID with the same name. The wall charger only supports 2.4.

I connected the wall chargers to my phone hotspot which was forced to 2.4ghz, and let it sit for a while. Then I just shut off my. hot spot. My wall charger now only shows a single solid green light. This matches the experience the install describes.

To sum this up...even though the charger was showing connected as 2.4ghz when connected to my mesh network it didnt like that the same SSID from my mesh network was being broadcast in 5ghz. Seems like you need a dedicated 2.4ghz network.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I did some more research last night, and I think this may be related to the type of wifi you are trying to connect to. I have mesh wifi which broadcasts a 2.4ghz & 5ghz SSID with the same name. The wall charger only supports 2.4.

I connected the wall chargers to my phone hotspot which was forced to 2.4ghz, and let it sit for a while. Then I just shut off my. hot spot. My wall charger now only shows a single solid green light. This matches the experience the install describes.

To sum this up...even though the charger was showing connected as 2.4ghz when connected to my mesh network it didnt like that the same SSID from my mesh network was being broadcast in 5ghz. Seems like you need a dedicated 2.4ghz network.
I tried that with my Guest Wifi network that is set to 2.4ghz only and WPA/WPA2 authentication but it's still doing it. I even tried to set my phone's hotspot with no password but apparently the Wall Connector doesn't see Wifi access points with no password.

I set up a dedicated guest mesh network for the car and the chargers. Make sure the software is up to date. It should be solid green if idle and unplugged. Blue if plugged in and waiting for a scheduled charge. Streaming if charging. See manual for rest. If behavior continues contact support again. Confirm it is commissioned with the proper amperage setting for the Circuit breaker used.

Last edited:
I set up a dedicated guest mesh network for the car and the chargers. Make sure the software is up to date. It should be solid green if idea and unplugged. Blue if plugged in and waiting for a scheduled charge. Streaming if charging. See manual for rest. If behavior continues contact support again. Confirm it is commissioned with the proper amperage setting for the Circuit breaker used.
Support was less than helpful. In fact the 2nd support person I spoke with yesterday told me as long the lights are green it doesn't matter how they are blinking or how many show up. They also never mentioned anything about wifi setup in there troubleshooting.

I installed my Gen 3 Wall Connector a few weeks ago and immediately stopped paying any attention to the lights as they seemed to be doing strange things as you've noted. After I connected it to my mesh network (eero Pro 6e), did the available update and plugged it into my car for the first time, the lights have done exactly as their supposed to according to the manual.

When the Wall Connector is not plugged in to my car, there is one solid green light illuminated.
When the Wall Connect is plugged into my car but not charging, there is one solid blue light.
When the Wall Connect is plugged into my car and charging, there are 5 green lights that illuminate in a top to bottom pattern (60A circuit breaker).

I wouldn't pay attention to it until you begin plugging it into you car, I suspect this has something to do with commissioning it based on my own experience.

I just had mine installed, and it was doing the exact same thing. I have set the amperage to 48 (60 amp breaker), connected to wifi, but there is a software update waiting. It will let me click the install button for the update, but nothing happens. If I connect the charger to the car it detects that it is receiving 48 amps as expected. It basically seemed as if the unit was rebooting itself over and over, which I can basically confirm it was doing something like that since I was running a ping against the IP of my charger. When I would plug in the car it would stop rebooting all of the time, so I just left it plugged in.

As I was typing this up I was thinking it might be useful to give the software version that the wall charger was on. 2233 something. I was going to validate it by connecting to the private wifi network of the charger when I realized that it was no longer broadcasting the private wifi ssid. I unplugged the car and it was sitting on solid green as it is apparently supposed to do.

I have a ubiquiti setup with 2 APs and they broadcast both 2.4 and 5ghz. I created a dedicated 2.4ghz network and even tried the hotspot like you did, but it still misbehaved. I have NO idea what resolved the issue but it seems that setting the circuit amperage, setting the wifi password, and waiting a long time (hours) made it work correctly.

I recently purchased a Model 3 performance, and ordered the wall charger as well. The wall charger arrived already so I figured I'd install it and get it ready for when I take delivery of the car..

The charger is installed and working from and electrical standpoint. When it's turned on I get a pulsing single green light which I know means waiting for commissioning. Which I have answered those questions and completed that step. My concern or problem is the single green light pulses for about 30 seconds to a minute then goes to all the lights solid green for a few seconds, and then back to pulsing. It did this non stop for about 18 hours then I opened a support chat with Tesla. Tesla support is telling me this fine as long as they are green. Although the installation document says I have should have single solid green light when the charger is idle and not plugged into the car.

My question for those that have the gen3 charger...what lights are on when the charger is idle and not plugged into the car? Has anyone seen or been through my scenario before?
Mine did that too for first 48 hours straight... then it went to steady state stand by mode. I re-logged in again to see if the firmware update was completed but it was not .... the it started to pulsate again, this time it took 72 hours but finally it is now in steady state (one solid green light). Called the 800 support and they told me that a substantial firmware was being pushed and it is taking longer than usual to have the firmware completed. Mine was not completed after the initial 48 hours and again after another 72 hours ... now it is in steady stand by mode again ... Like you I am waiting for my Model Y ....but I AIN'T TOUCHING IT AGAIN !!!

PS to my response: I just found out that my "newly" installed Wall Connector's firmware that came with the unit is v.22.33.1 and the current most up to date firmware is v.22.45.1 ... so we are FOUR versions behind !!! No wonder it takes so long to do the updates ... it is constantly "updating" to catch up ??? .... probably it will take a week or so to do all the updates .... I hope this answers your question.

I tried that with my Guest Wifi network that is set to 2.4ghz only and WPA/WPA2 authentication but it's still doing it. I even tried to set my phone's hotspot with no password but apparently the Wall Connector doesn't see Wifi access points with no password.
Set your 2.4 ghz access to ONLY WAP2 NO / anything. Mine would not connect at all until I selected only WAP2 in my modem account.

I installed my Gen 3 Wall Connector a few weeks ago and immediately stopped paying any attention to the lights as they seemed to be doing strange things as you've noted. After I connected it to my mesh network (eero Pro 6e), did the available update and plugged it into my car for the first time, the lights have done exactly as their supposed to according to the manual.

When the Wall Connector is not plugged in to my car, there is one solid green light illuminated.
When the Wall Connect is plugged into my car but not charging, there is one solid blue light.
When the Wall Connect is plugged into my car and charging, there are 5 green lights that illuminate in a top to bottom pattern (60A circuit breaker).

I wouldn't pay attention to it until you begin plugging it into you car, I suspect this has something to do with commissioning it based on my own experience.
I have an issue that I can not find anyone else having. Here is how my Gen 3 Wall Charger is working:
When the Wall Connect is plugged into my car but not charging, there are 5 green lights that illuminate in a top to bottom pattern.
When the Wall Connect is plugged into my car and charging, there are 5 green lights that illuminate in a top to bottom pattern (60A circuit breaker)

It was working normally until a month or two ago.