Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen3 Wall Connector Installation for Long-Range Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I anxiously await delivery of a Model Y LR, my first Tesla, I want to proceed with preparing my garage for charging. As the LR Model Y will accept 48 amps via the Wall Connector, this is my preferred primary charging solution. Prior to installation, I’d appreciate any feedback/comments/suggestions on my planned installation.

The car will park/charge overnight in a 2-car garage with a single double-width garage door. The main electrical panel and a sub-panel are on the left-hand side of the garage. I normally park on the right. My SO parks on the left. The main panel has an unused 60 amp breaker that was previously wired for external heaters that were, ultimately, never installed. I plan to repurpose this breaker for the charger. To avoid the add’l cost of having wires pulled to the far-side of the garage, I will either start parking on the LHS or rig hooks/pulley to suspend the 18.5’ cord of the Wall Connector over the vehicle on the left.

Although the Wall Connector is intended to be hard-wired, I believe hard-wiring it reduces flexibility. My preference is to have the electrician install a NEMA 14-50 outlet approx 18 inches from the main panel and then hardwire a 50 Amp 4-wire Range Cord (4-ft) with NEMA 14-50 plug (such as https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-4-Foot-50-Amp-4-Wire/dp/B002RL9JAW/) to the Wall Connector. This would provide: ability to relocate the Wall Connector if we move; ability to charge with a Mobile Connector (w/14-50 adapter) if the Wall Connector malfunctions; ability to charge non-Tesla EV for guests or future vehicle.

Other potentially useful/important info:
- The house has grid-connected solar panels and currently overproduced.
- Location/authority is Palm Springs, CA

Are there any problems/disadvantages with this plan?
Any additional criteria that I should provide to the installer?
Any recommendations for reasonable electricians in the Palm Springs, CA vicinity?

Thanks much!

Just as a point of information - I just installed the wall connector using that range cord. Installation went fine, now just waiting for the Y to get to me... Already had a 14-50 socket for charging another EV.

Technically you'll have to change the breaker to 50A (because of the 14-50) and charging current needs to be limited to 40A. The only advantage of hardwiring would be that you can charge at 48A.

Everything looks fine.

To avoid the add’l cost of having wires pulled to the far-side of the garage, I will either start parking on the LHS or rig hooks/pulley to suspend the 18.5’ cord of the Wall Connector over the vehicle on the left.

Its hard to imagine why you would even consider parking on the right, unless you are preparing for 2 EVs. In which case, the question is different.

18.5 feet is less than you think. The wire has a curvature that reduces its actual length, and to do your pulley system right, you will have lots of turns and right angles. Besides it being a waste of time to install pulleys. Some are able to install on the ceiling or between the two garage doors (if they have 2 doors).

My preference is to have the electrician install a NEMA 14-50 outlet approx 18 inches from the main panel and then hardwire a 50 Amp 4-wire Range Cord (4-ft)

I don't like this idea. Better to put a short cord on the wall connector and move the outlet closer. Then you have the 18 foot cord - now you have loose wires everywhere! If you park on the left, you can make do with the 8.5 foot cord. In fact 8.5 feet will be a lot also.

I plan to repurpose this breaker for the charger.

If you are worried about a $10 breaker, you are in for a shock when you get your electrician's prices. They are going to charge you $1,000 (or $1,500 with the unit), and my experience is, that they don't want to discount you for anything. Don't make the job too easy as they will not give you a break b/c you made the job easier for them.

If you are worried about a $10 breaker, you are in for a shock when you get your electrician's prices. They are going to charge you $1,000 (or $1,500 with the unit), and my experience is, that they don't want to discount you for anything. Don't make the job too easy as they will not give you a break b/c you made the job easier for them.

It’s either repurpose this breaker or install an entirely new panel as the panel is already maxed-out.

It’s either repurpose this breaker or install an entirely new panel as the panel is already maxed-out.

That's fine - just saying that is my impression with the electricians. There were other things in your post where it seemed like you were trying to save on install costs (actual reasons could be different). I tried that and they do not care.

@splerman: This rebate program may help offset your cost, if you qualify and within their jurisdiction:

http://www.aqmd.gov/home/programs/community/community-detail?title=ev-charging-incentive

I have a licensed electrician neighbor (92585 area) who installed Gen 2 HPWC with back up 14-50 outlet. Let me know if you want his business/contact info.
20190209_110438.jpg

Last edited:
@splerman: This rebate program may help offset your cost, if you qualify and within their jurisdiction:

http://www.aqmd.gov/home/programs/community/community-detail?title=ev-charging-incentive

I have a licensed electrician neighbor (92585 area) who installed Gen 2 HPWC with back up 14-50 outlet. Let me know if you want his business/contact info.
View attachment 522347
Is the NEMA 14-50 and the HPWC on the same circuit?? If so, what size circuit breaker is used? I assume 50 amp to match the 14-50...

... Then you have the 18 foot cord - now you have loose wires everywhere! If you park on the left, you can make do with the 8.5 foot cord. In fact 8.5 feet will be a lot also...

I did some experiments with an 8.5' cord and 18' cord. The 8.5' is just long enough to go from a charger mounted by the drivers side of the garage door to the car. 3' to the floor, 3' to the car, and 2.5' back up from the floor. It's just long enough to easily walk over the cord if desired.

I found experimenting with an 18' cord even more interesting (using a marked extension cord for the experiment). The question I had was would I have the option to back in if i felt like it with the charger in the same place. The answer is no, 18' isn't long enough - several feet too short.

It seems that 18' isn't very useful if you mount the HPWC by the garage door wall on the driver's side. Sure, it could reach two Teslas is mounted between them, but I'd have another HPWC if I got another Tesla.

I am already have a Juicebox for our Pacifica. That cord is long enough to reach my future Tesla and the van if I back the Tesla in. I want a HPWC for each, so I'm planning to get the 8.5' cord.

I did some experiments with an 8.5' cord and 18' cord. The 8.5' is just long enough to go from a charger mounted by the drivers side of the garage door to the car. 3' to the floor, 3' to the car, and 2.5' back up from the floor. It's just long enough to easily walk over the cord if desired.

I found experimenting with an 18' cord even more interesting (using a marked extension cord for the experiment). The question I had was would I have the option to back in if i felt like it with the charger in the same place. The answer is no, 18' isn't long enough - several feet too short.

It seems that 18' isn't very useful if you mount the HPWC by the garage door wall on the driver's side. Sure, it could reach two Teslas is mounted between them, but I'd have another HPWC if I got another Tesla.

I am already have a Juicebox for our Pacifica. That cord is long enough to reach my future Tesla and the van if I back the Tesla in. I want a HPWC for each, so I'm planning to get the 8.5' cord.

Yes, exactly what I was thinking. I use the UMC with the 20' cord, yet I understand that the HPWC in a garage can be mounted right to the side of the charge port. The 20' cord is probably for outdoor situations.

I just finished installing my wall connector. I was lucky that the main panel is behind the wall on the side of the garage that the MY will be.
Hard part was drilling the hole, I got a cheap hammer drill and I should've rented a more powerful one to make it easier. Now I just need the car...

teslaconnector.jpg

Last edited:
I find the range of cost for installing a 14-50 outlet interesting. I have one for my Bolt (on Cape Cod). Cost around $1,200 dollars. I had an outlet installed in my garage in AZ (south of Tucson). $160 dollars. OK, the AZ installation was just drilling a hole in the garage wall as my electric box was just on the opposite side. Luck of the draw. Still, quite a difference.

Rich

Cape Cod outlet is attached to my car port (Bolt 2019 Premier)
INDOEV5.jpg

Indentured servant (German nephew visiting us for the summer) dug the rather long needed ditch for the installation.
8XyuJ3x.jpg

I added a short (2 ft or so) cord to a Gen 2 HPWC so I could plug it in to the NEMA 6-50 outlet on the garage wall. We have a Model 3 right now and I'll be getting a Model Y next year. Currently, the connector is on the right hand side of the 2 car garage but the connector cord is long enough to make it over to a car parked on the left hand side -- I do not believe the Gen 3 charger has an option for a long enough cord for this though.

Reactions: silvermaxd
All this talk about 18 ft cords. Is that the longest option now? Mine is 24 ft, purchased in 2018. We have an M3 and just picked up our Y on Sunday. With the charger near the center of the back wall and the 24 ft cord, I can pull both in and reach either one.
View attachment 547309
Gen 3 chargers max out at 18 feet, unfortunately. On the bright side, the cord itself is smaller in diameter and easy to wrap and manuever.

To charge at 48 amps with the HPWC you need a 60 amp circuit breaker and appropriate wiring. I don't think there is any approved way to use a plug and get a safe and reliable 12kW charge. Having the HPWC so close to your breaker box is a big plus however and you could likely use in wall #4 to easily hard wire the wall charger, then if you move just pop in a NEMA 14-50 in the spot you had the HWPC and swap the 60 amp breaker to 50 amps. That is what I did anyway.

Reactions: Nakk and MY-Y
Everything looks fine.

qft