Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Altimax RT43 Tires on Model Y LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be in the market for new tires soon and am wondering how these tires are for the Model Y LR with 19" Geminis. My current set of tires are the OEM Continentals and I don't expect them to make it past 15k miles. I won't blame the tires for this since I have a habit of enjoying the acceleration boost a little too much with this car. I saw a threat on here for the Model 3 and they seemed happy with these tires, but does anyone have experience with these on the Y? A set of these installed is around $850.

Thanks in advance :cool:

A set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 was about $1100 from Costco. Best all season tire on the market for your kind of driving. General tires are budget tires and won’t give you the same consistency throughout the life of the tire. The delta between good and cheap tires is much less than your insurance deductible I bet. That’s how I justify it at least. Better braking and cornering traction. Better wet weather traction. No sacrifice.

I have 4000 miles on a set 235/65r18 crossclimate2 (30" diameter instead of the stock 28"). They give more confidence on the cold wet roads compared to the OEM procontact rx. The ride is more comfortable but still not as much as I was hoping for. Used 271 wh/mi over those 4000miles (accounting for odometer error).

I will probably go with Vredestein Quatrac Pro next (255/55r18) They make 19" size. Reviews/tests from tire rack suggest the wet traction is on par with the crossclimate2 and the ride is more comfortable. If you are okay going a bit narrower, the Vredestein Hitrac is also a good choice with better wear and efficiency (the hitrac options are not rated for 9.5" wide oem rim)

The RT43 would be good choice but there are better options for comfort, traction, and efficiency. I used those on a Forester.

Post back on your choice and review.

I have 4000 miles on a set 235/65r18 crossclimate2 (30" diameter instead of the stock 28"). They give more confidence on the cold wet roads compared to the OEM procontact rx. The ride is more comfortable but still not as much as I was hoping for. Used 271 wh/mi over those 4000miles (accounting for odometer error).

I will probably go with Vredestein Quatrac Pro next (255/55r18) They make 19" size. Reviews/tests from tire rack suggest the wet traction is on par with the crossclimate2 and the ride is more comfortable. If you are okay going a bit narrower, the Vredestein Hitrac is also a good choice with better wear and efficiency (the hitrac options are not rated for 9.5" wide oem rim)

The RT43 would be good choice but there are better options for comfort, traction, and efficiency. I used those on a Forester.

Post back on your choice and review.
I just saw you tried 235/65R18s. What were your wheel size and offset? I am assuming without a lift kit? Did you have any rubbing?

I have these tires on my Model 3 LR RWD.

They have been fantastic, even with no foam I don’t notice any difference with foam.

I have a MYP, once the 21” tires wears out, I’ll buy some 19” aftermarket and get the same tires RT43.

I’m in Southern California, so there’s no much rain or show.

I have these tires on my Model 3 LR RWD.

They have been fantastic, even with no foam I don’t notice any difference with foam.

I have a MYP, once the 21” tires wears out, I’ll buy some 19” aftermarket and get the same tires RT43.

I’m in Southern California, so there’s no much rain or show.

The General's aren't bad, but for the same price, the Vredestein QuatracPros are rated much better. Just because they are better in the rain and snow does not mean they are worse in Noise, Vibration, and Harshness. If anything, they might even have a slight edge there as well.

Michelin CrossClimate2 are great All-Weather tires, probably a notch above the Conti DWS06.

If you are going with dedicated aftermarket wheels, try 18s with 235/55R18s. Better range and better road feel, and more isolation. For SoCal, I'd probably still recommend the Vredestein QuatracPros, but the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 may be worth the slight premium.

I just saw you tried 235/65R18s. What were your wheel size and offset? I am assuming without a lift kit? Did you have any rubbing?

I have Enkei PF01 18x7.5, 45 offset, ~18 lbs. The weight rating is on the low side (690kg), but I do not tow nor load up the rear end to any significant extent so I have never exceeded the wheel/axle rating. I do not have a lift kit. There is no rubbing as is with these CrossClimate2 235/65r18 In the front the tire is close to the upper steering knuckle but has not rubbed. I test fitted 15mm spacers in the front but that led to rubbing of the tires edge on the backside of the wheel well liner with turning. With the rear tires, there is plenty of room. These CrossClimate2s are quieter and a bit more comfortable than OEM tires. I'm still considering 255/55r18 Vredestein Hitrac or Quatrac Pro for my next set.

I have Enkei PF01 18x7.5, 45 offset, ~18 lbs. The weight rating is on the low side (690kg), but I do not tow nor load up the rear end to any significant extent so I have never exceeded the wheel/axle rating. I do not have a lift kit. There is no rubbing as is with these CrossClimate2 235/65r18 In the front the tire is close to the upper steering knuckle but has not rubbed. I test fitted 15mm spacers in the front but that led to rubbing of the tires edge on the backside of the wheel well liner with turning. With the rear tires, there is plenty of room. These CrossClimate2s are quieter and a bit more comfortable than OEM tires. I'm still considering 255/55r18 Vredestein Hitrac or Quatrac Pro for my next set.
Thanks! Any pictures of the ride, I would love to see that much tire without a lift as it probably looks good on the Model Y.

1" less fender gap. About 1" higher ground clearance.
235/65r18 CrossClimate2 ~31 lbs 30" diameter ~6% speedometer/odometer difference.
Enkei PF01 18" ~18lbs Load 690kg (This is below GVWR). offset 45. 20mm spacers in rear.

235.65r18 pf01.jpg
20221015_112626 (2).jpg
20221015_112331 (2).jpg