Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General chit-chat in "For Sale" threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it's just me but I feel like I'm seeing a pretty large gap between what people are asking for their model 3s and what people are actually offering right now. I'm seeing a bunch of cars that sit at the same high price and get relisted a number of times. I won a bid for a low mileage white interior full self drive performance for under 50K but didn't hit the reserve. I offered $5,000 below asking for a similar car and was the high offer. But right now I'm trying to get a similarly configured sleeper model 3 for even significantly less than that.

The standard range plus model 3 seems to be listing for next to no depreciation everywhere. But I'm not in the market for that so I have no idea what price people are really closing on.

Maybe it's just me but I feel like I'm seeing a pretty large gap between what people are asking for their model 3s and what people are actually offering right now. I'm seeing a bunch of cars that sit at the same high price and get relisted a number of times. I won a bid for a low mileage white interior full self drive performance for under 50K but didn't hit the reserve. I offered $5,000 below asking for a similar car and was the high offer. But right now I'm trying to get a similarly configured sleeper model 3 for even significantly less than that.

The standard range plus model 3 seems to be listing for next to no depreciation everywhere. But I'm not in the market for that so I have no idea what price people are really closing on.

An important discriminator might be how desperate the Model 3 sellers are. And I suspect not very.

They might LIKE to move up to a Y (or even and S or X), but don't feel like they have to. So they list their car at the high end of the pricing range, and if someone buys it, great. If someone doesn't, they will just keep it and drive it and consider the upgrade later.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rmf1981
An important discriminator might be how desperate the Model 3 sellers are. And I suspect not very.

They might LIKE to move up to a Y (or even and S or X), but don't feel like they have to. So they list their car at the high end of the pricing range, and if someone buys it, great. If someone doesn't, they will just keep it and drive it and consider the upgrade later.
Eh a bunch of the high prices and auction relistings I am seeing are from dealers. Generally it's a poor idea if you actually eventually do want to upgrade to leave your car on the market for too long and have extra depreciation on it. A lot of the owners who wanted a y I have been waiting years already to buy one and bought the model 3 as a stopgap.

Also a ton of people are out of work and broke as hell right now and the model 3 attracts a lot of buyers who wouldn't normally purchase as expensive of a car. They would probably be the first ones to get rid of such an expensive card to pay for other things.

Also a ton of people are out of work and broke as hell right now and the model 3 attracts a lot of buyers who wouldn't normally purchase as expensive of a car. They would probably be the first ones to get rid of such an expensive card to pay for other things.

Employment stats show that it was mostly lower-income workers that lost jobs. The higher up the "food chain" you go, the better off people have been. Sure, there have been losses, but the typical Tesla buyer (college educated, successful) has been far less impacted.

I agree on "stale sales", but I'm one of those that if the price were right, I would part with my P3D, but I'm in no hurry, and it would have to be top dollar. Otherwise, I'll just hold onto and enjoy it.

• Disagree
Employment stats show that it was mostly lower-income workers that lost jobs.
maybe that's true for now but the layoffs are going to start hitting higher earners soon. Most companies are re-evaluating their budgets right now and looking at how much they can cut. But anyways my point is that there it's a significant portion of Tesla buyers who may be college educated and successful are spending a higher percentage of their income on the car did they usually would with a different brand and probably have less flexibility to keep such an expensive car given a downturn.

You are essentially making the claim that these depreciate so little that someone would be an idiot for not just buying one new.

I believe, unless I am mistaken I can post an ad on this site, and ask any price I want to ask. If there is a rule that prohibits this please accept my apologies for advertising my car for sale with an asking price that is too high? Otherwise perhaps you could allow us to use this forum as it was intended without "hijacking" our threads? Thank you!

• Love
Reactions: bkp_duke
Cool man I get it it's just that sometimes my mind is blown like who the hell is paying this much for these used cars I want to know what their actual rationale is.

How many posts of yours do mods have to remove?

If a car is overpriced, it won't sell. People buying Teslas are NOT idiots. And they didn't ask for you to babysit them on pricing.

It's rude, and disrespectful to all involved.

EDIT - and for the record, the Model 3 is holding it's own EXCEPTIONALLY well in used car pricing.
Tesla Model 3 Three-Year Depreciation Is 10%: EV Industry Average Is 52%.

That's 10% in 3 years, not 10% per year.

How many posts of yours do mods have to remove?

If a car is overpriced, it won't sell. People buying Teslas are NOT idiots. And they didn't ask for you to babysit them on pricing.

It's rude, and disrespectful to all involved.

EDIT - and for the record, the Model 3 is holding it's own EXCEPTIONALLY well in used car pricing.
Tesla Model 3 Three-Year Depreciation Is 10%: EV Industry Average Is 52%.

That's 10% in 3 years, not 10% per year.
Excuse me how many I'm pretty sure none is the answer besides this? I would agree the value on resale for Tesla's is pretty high. But there is a very clear point at which the value actually being that high means that it is a better value to buy new and not used. That would be in that many people buying these cars are yes objectively idiots. Now if you make money because somebody is an idiot good for you but I'm not going to advocate an idiot gives you money.

Model 3 data is all over the place. We have all these dealers who don't know how the hell do actually quote the features in the car. We have carvana buying up model 3s at an insane price and then not even selling them for much more money at all. Carvana has seemingly decided the model 3 is the hot car to sell and is funded by VC money in an effort to capture the market that has significantly impacted used sales.

The model 3 right now has not had a major refresh, valuations of these cars are closer to valuations of used other Tech products than other cars given the way Tesla designs and updates these. If a 400 Mile Road model 3 update comes out it will nosedive the use Market immediately. We have seen this kind of thing happened with the model S multiple times now.

But I have actually been buying a used model 3 for the past year or more and for the most part when I didn't get the car it was because I wasn't fast enough. A lot of the high price car sellers complained about the offers and sat there and even some took them off the market. Maybe the model y being out has changed the whole used market and the data hasn't caught up I don't really know for sure,
But the personal data I attract suggests that there is a premium for a model 3 category but in that luxury category it is not a big difference.

But if I ever do decide to sell my car I will be sure to list it here where people like you will come out of the woodwork to immediately defend my above market evaluation of the car as totally cool!

Excuse me how many I'm pretty sure none is the answer besides this? I would agree the value on resale for Tesla's is pretty high. But there is a very clear point at which the value actually being that high means that it is a better value to buy new and not used. That would be in that many people buying these cars are yes objectively idiots. Now if you make money because somebody is an idiot good for you but I'm not going to advocate an idiot gives you money.

Model 3 data is all over the place. We have all these dealers who don't know how the hell do actually quote the features in the car. We have carvana buying up model 3s at an insane price and then not even selling them for much more money at all. Carvana has seemingly decided the model 3 is the hot car to sell and is funded by VC money in an effort to capture the market that has significantly impacted used sales.

The model 3 right now has not had a major refresh, valuations of these cars are closer to valuations of used other Tech products than other cars given the way Tesla designs and updates these. If a 400 Mile Road model 3 update comes out it will nosedive the use Market immediately. We have seen this kind of thing happened with the model S multiple times now.

But I have actually been buying a used model 3 for the past year or more and for the most part when I didn't get the car it was because I wasn't fast enough. A lot of the high price car sellers complained about the offers and sat there and even some took them off the market. Maybe the model y being out has changed the whole used market and the data hasn't caught up I don't really know for sure,
But the personal data I attract suggests that there is a premium for a model 3 category but in that luxury category it is not a big difference.

But if I ever do decide to sell my car I will be sure to list it here where people like you will come out of the woodwork to immediately defend my above market evaluation of the car as totally cool!

Aug 28th - this thread. Another one that got moved here where you comment on pricing.

THE POINT is that it is RUDE. HOW HARD is that concept for you to understand? Rules are rules, suck it up and learn that you broke them and as such your posts got moved to this "trash" thread as such.

tesla-info.com - it scrapes all the used Teslas you can basically find, except for Craigslist.

A quick look of a car matching the original post shows USED prices in the 30-39k range. If you remove those cars with "Branded" titles (i.e. cars with Lemon, Salvage, and Rebuilt tittels - you have to do this manually), you get cars priced in the 34-39k range.

The OP's car is appropriately priced, you are just pissy your bad behavior got called out.

Last edited:
And Model 3 should not have transferrable unlimited supercharging, but some of them do.
Let’s focus on purpose of this thread: do you want to buy this Model S?
The purpose of this thread is to misrepresent your car and what it includes? Okay. Sorry to politely try to lead you to telling the truth about what this car includes. Best of luck with all that.

The purpose of this thread is to misrepresent your car and what it includes? Okay. Sorry to politely try to lead you to telling the truth about what this car includes. Best of luck with all that.
You need to find yourself a hobby, maybe go to a dealer around corner and educate them how to advertise Tesla for sale. I certainly don’t need your help.
I never presented my car as the one that has + suspension, just pointed out discrepancy. Some people have performance drive units or performance battery packs in their non-performance cars and so on. If you wasn’t personally presented at the assembly line to control process - your knowledge is limited here as to what my car does or doesn’t have.
Please check new for sale posts - I am sure somebody else needs your attention more than I do.
Thanks

• Disagree
Reactions: Ostrichsak
You need to find yourself a hobby, maybe go to a dealer around corner and educate them how to advertise Tesla for sale. I certainly don’t need your help.
I never presented my car as the one that has + suspension, just pointed out discrepancy. Some people have performance drive units or performance battery packs in their non-performance cars and so on. If you wasn’t personally presented at the assembly line to control process - your knowledge is limited here as to what my car does or doesn’t have.
Please check new for sale posts - I am sure somebody else needs your attention more than I do.
Thanks

Go back and read my post again. This time remove the stick from wherever it's located that caused you to take such umbrage with the simple and polite words I used and you may find that I was trying to help. I even tried to blame the car to help bail you out.

I politely tried to point out that you may have misrepresented your car unknowingly and I'm sure a potential buyer would want the correct details just as much as I'm sure you want to present them. You chose to attack me over the very mention that your listing may not be accurate. You need to check your attitude and stop with this victim mindset that causes you to lash out unprovoked.

You would agree that if your car does indeed NOT have the Performance Plus suspension that you'd want any potential buyers to not believe that it has something that it doesn't, right?

And sadly those are getting the most attention since it's the most drama and the largest threads. There have been plenty of well put together sales ads here too and they just quietly get sold.

True. When a car is fairly priced (which is frequently the case), there's really little need to comment on price but when people feel a car is overpriced they will chime in especially if they think the seller is trying to rip people off. Sometimes it can simply be that a seller is unfamiliar with the current market, recent new car price reductions, state/local EV incentives, etc