Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General chit-chat in "For Sale" threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
∆∆∆ why oh why do people do that? ∆∆∆

So many for sale posts that get a disinterested 3rd party's opinion on market conditions?

Want to support valuations? Let buyers and sellers work out the transaction price. Stop devaluing the cars all over the interweb with no motive other than...hmmm...yeah...I totally can't come up with a motive for doing that. Just my $.02. And hey...no one ever accused me of knowing much

Reactions: cswolfe

So many for sale posts that get a disinterested 3rd party's opinion on market conditions?

Want to support valuations? Let buyers and sellers work out the transaction price. Stop devaluing the cars all over the interweb with no motive other than...hmmm...yeah...I totally can't come up with a motive for doing that. Just my $.02. And hey...no one ever accused me of knowing much

Report the post to the moderator of this section by hitting the triangle in the left bottom corner of the post.

Well, I for one, as an economist, would rather any potential transaction occur at the market clearing price. Fully open price information in the market helps smooth and speed transactions, and I think it's in everyone's best interests that the secondary market for these cars be as mature as possible.

Surely you aren't suggesting that you'd want to take advantage of someone by hiding pricing information from less knowledgeable buyers, would you? That's remarkably unscrupulous, and borderline evil.

You seem to be calling out the person for supplying information as doing something untoward, but I would say that it is the person who wants to withhold comparative pricing information to potential buyers that is acting unethically here (that would be you.)

Well, I for one, as an economist, would rather any potential transaction occur at the market clearing price. Fully open price information in the market helps smooth and speed transactions, and I think it's in everyone's best interests that the secondary market for these cars be as mature as possible.

Surely you aren't suggesting that you'd want to take advantage of someone by hiding pricing information from less knowledgeable buyers, would you? That's remarkably unscrupulous, and borderline evil.

You seem to be calling out the person for supplying information as doing something untoward, but I would say that it is the person who wants to withhold comparative pricing information to potential buyers that is acting unethically here (that would be you.)

Wow, there is so much wrong with that post, I can't say much besides..."wow".

This is -- number 1 -- a Tesla forum. Number 2 -- it has a "For Sale" section. If you post here, you have to expect comments, good, bad and indifferent. The comment by Ruby&Red is fair and you're just wasting moderator's time by reporting it. There is nothing in it against the rules. In fact, it could be considered a fair warning to potential purchasers that the vehicle for sale is overpriced. It affects me since I will be looking to sell my car to upgrade and the higher the price people get, the better. But this forum isn't about what is best for the OP, or me, or anyone else. It's about commenting. If anyone wants to post their vehicle for sale without comments, there are many places to do that but one of them is not here.

Yes, TMC members can comment on for sale ads. And frequently do.
It does appear that Tesla is selling 85kW CPO cars with the factory 4-year 50K mile warranty for about the same price as this 60 being offered for sale. Here's an example 85 kWh Model S P14039 | Tesla Motors

+1 I'm rather shocked that some people here are upset with feedback. It's not a cookie cutter world everybody. If the OP doesn't like it let him post on E-Bay.

Actually, I did send the post to the seller before I posted. He never got back to me about it.

Agreed. And to Ruby&Red, the classy move would have been a PM to the OP if you felt you had some information which might help him in the pricing of his car.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to all of you for your well argued and rational defense. Based on these comments, and in the spirit if fair play, I expect the moderator might want to think about moving my original comments back where they belong. If not, perhaps they should take the time to remove all similar comments from all of the for sale ads for the past month or so. After all, if the issue here is that there is some line has been crossed, then others who crossed the line should get the same treatment. If, on the other hand, I did not cross a line, then my comments were moved in error.

Why do you keep asking sellers this? No seller in their right mind is destroy their negotiating position and share Tesla's trade-in offer. Suddenly they'd go from negotiating down from their asking price to negotiating up from Tesla's trade-in offer...

The reason for asking is to understand the baseline. Tesla's trade in value represents the market value. There are over 400 CPO vehicles on the tesla website. Tesla offers a great warranty and value to buyers and sellers.

If there is an emotional buyer that does not care about comparables that is their choice.

Many folks reading these ads would like to understand comparables/value. If the seller chooses to disclose the data great. As a potential buyer I can ask the question.

I see many folks on the forum ask questions....... Similar to mine, or they link a similar Cpo vehicle to the one being sold showing the difference.

Thanks

85 kWh Performance Model S P01906 | Tesla Motors

Last edited:
No it doesn't. Tesla offers are below wholesale, for the simple reason that they do not want more CPO cars.

Their offers DO NOT represent market value.
May I go on a limb at state that dealers or manufacturers rarely, if ever, offer market value on a trade-in. It is typically the worst way financially to get rid of a car. CarMax pays more, private sales pay more, almost any method pays more.

May I go on a limb at state that dealers or manufacturers rarely, if ever, offer market value on a trade-in. It is typically the worst way financially to get rid of a car. CarMax pays more, private sales pay more, almost any method pays more.

No one does, car dealers, including Tesla would never make money on them if they did. This is why dealers make more on used cars than new.

Saw this today, from Tesla Model X Enters Used Car Market With $80,000 Markup CBS San Francisco ... the color is different so I assume it's not you... still it was odd to see the same 500 miles on the odometer.

> (CBS SF) – Just a few months after its debut, the first Tesla Model X electric SUV has hit the used car market. Those who are interested should be ready to pay a steep markup.
>
> A person who goes by the name “stealth md” on the online marketplace Panjo is offering the Model X for $215,000, about 60 percent more than the $134,200 sticker price. The owner said the car has no problems, dents or scratches and has 500 miles on the odometer.
>
> “The reason I’m selling is because I don’t really need an SUV right now,” the purported owner said.
>
> According to the listing, the SUV for sale comes in “signature” red and includes autopilot, leather interior and subzero weather package.

The panjo listing is http://www.panjo.com/buy/215k-obo-2016-tesla-model-x-p90d-signature-248785?index=44

As a new member and someone who is in the market for a used Tesla in the next few months I will say I like the comments from knowledgeable Tesla owners to save me from overpaying. Isn't that why Tesla isn't a dealership so everyone pays the same
price for the same car? There are a few posts that are tiresome to read, but I just scroll past those.

I think most people who can afford a car in this price range and are shopping for used instead of new, are generally aware of current market price. I've been shopping for a used model s lately and see a huge disparity between the prices of the cars that are actually purchased vs the prices that people are asking, thinking they are selling a rare limited edition Ferrari.