Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General chit-chat in "For Sale" threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello. i am pretty ignorant on buying cars via private route and wanted to see if there is any advice from members to help protect myself. cars a better priced privately and some of them are still under warranty. i figured i could just extend the warranty through tesla after the purchase is made.

the process i was going to do was negotiate a price, confirm title to bank to issue me a loan, then make purchase.

any advice would be helpful. thanks

hello. i am pretty ignorant on buying cars via private route and wanted to see if there is any advice from members to help protect myself. cars a better priced privately and some of them are still under warranty. i figured i could just extend the warranty through tesla after the purchase is made.

the process i was going to do was negotiate a price, confirm title to bank to issue me a loan, then make purchase.

any advice would be helpful. thanks

That is not an option for a buyer.

Sure it is.. if the car is still under the factory warranty and it's a private seller. The buyer can purchase the ESA after purchase and before the factory warranty expires.

Hank I am sure you are far better informed on this than myself. Would you explain this reply?

Buying a used 2017 Tesla Model S

I was under the impression the original owner had to purchase the ESA. IIRC you’ve owned a few CPO/Used Model S which you bought from Tesla, so no doubt you are speaking from your actual experiences. Thanks in advance!

Hank I am sure you are far better informed on this than myself. Would you explain this reply?

Buying a used 2017 Tesla Model S

I was under the impression the original owner had to purchase the ESA. IIRC you’ve owned a few CPO/Used Model S which you bought from Tesla, so no doubt you are speaking from your actual experiences. Thanks in advance!

Sure. A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, that used to be the rules for the ESA.

But about two years ago, Tesla changed the rules, and now any owner can buy the ESA as long as the car has not been sold through a used car dealer and if it's within 1000 miles of the factory warranty expiring.

This notion that only the original buyer can buy the ESA just won't go away. We need to look no further than the ESA FAQ page here: Extended Service Agreement

Can anyone purchase an Extended Service Agreement?
Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and cars purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or Model X cars subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement.

Funny side note: In early 2017, I bought my P85D+ used right before Tesla changed the rules, so I did pay the previous owner $4000 to purchase the ESA on his car before I actually bought the car from him.

Sure. A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, that used to be the rules for the ESA.

But about two years ago, Tesla changed the rules, and now any owner can buy the ESA as long as the car has not been sold through a used car dealer and if it's within 1000 miles of the factory warranty expiring.

This notion that only the original buyer can buy the ESA just won't go away. We need to look no further than the ESA FAQ page here: Extended Service Agreement

Funny side note: In early 2017, I bought my P85D+ used right before Tesla changed the rules, so I did pay the previous owner $4000 to purchase the ESA on his car before I actually bought the car from him.

Thank you! I misremember more often than I like these days, appreciate you confirming the early onset symptoms haven’t worsened.

Found this on a blue 75D for sale...
notice range left in miles???
2016_tesla_model_s-pic-4567484356320400924-1024x768.jpeg

Gotta say, my personal opinion is that some people must make it a hobby to go express contemptuous or superior attitudes at for-sale threads because I see it too often, and it really detracts from the value of TMC. Today I posted a car for sale, and just a few hours later I already had two hecklers sneering at me. Really makes one question the value of "discussion" on for-sale threads.

See this thread for my example.

Gotta say, my personal opinion is that some people must make it a hobby to go express contemptuous or superior attitudes at for-sale threads because I see it too often, and it really detracts from the value of TMC. Today I posted a car for sale, and just a few hours later I already had two hecklers sneering at me. Really makes one question the value of "discussion" on for-sale threads.

See this thread for my example.

Regardless of who is right or not -- nobody should ever thread crap a for sale thread. You have an issue with the seller's price or whatever -- you DM them. You don't post anything but positive comments in thread. Any other comments should be deleted and repeat offenders should be banned from the buy/sell/trade sections.

Just my thoughts.

Regardless of who is right or not -- nobody should ever thread crap a for sale thread. You have an issue with the seller's price or whatever -- you DM them. You don't post anything but positive comments in thread. Any other comments should be deleted and repeat offenders should be banned from the buy/sell/trade sections.

I'm with you. Lord knows it was aggravating to deal with all the crap I got this week. And I'm sure it was worse because I told them to go home rather than just quietly letting it go, but as you said... critiques and disagreements on a for-sale thread should be sent to the OP via DM. Criticizing a product or price in public is rude; but there seems to be an ever-decreasing regard for the value of good manners in public discourse.

Since Monday, a potential buyer and I have worked together to compare my car to new, and also to every reasonably-comparable used car out there, debating the various merits and agreeing on where adjustments were necessary. We got to the point where we were only $1,500 apart before someone drew the line, and now we have a tentative agreement of sale and are hashing out the details like payment and transport. While the details will take a while, effectively my car was "sold" in three days.

Most buyers and sellers are good people, but if you approach them or treat them like they're scammers and thieves, most everyone will react in an unfriendly way, I think. I've gotten good feedback on why my original price was too high from several people (and it was, I just didn't know it originally), and then there were others who were, shall we say, far less constructive.

Reactions: darxsys
My experience is most folks are rude in the for sale section, well most of the site really. I stopped even looking for a Tesla, because of attitude. 10 years I waited. For this. It is just so incredibly disheartening. GLWS...

Truth.

Unfortunately, it’s very bad here.

I’ve met phenomenal folks on the road. Love it and will likely always own a Tesla or a couple of them.

I believe it’s a forum issue, a few bad apples spoiling the bunch and little to no moderation. It’s pretty sad.