Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General chit-chat in "For Sale" threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed in some prior threads a lot of folks were asking what Tesla gives for cars. I just sold my 2013 S 85 with 96,000 to a private party. The car had sunroof, tech package, cold weather package, and tan leather with dark blue exterior. Tesla was offering right at 24,100 and the initial offer was 21,000. I went to CarMax who offered 20,000 as well as Carvana which was the highest at 24,800. The funny thing I learned was Carvana's quotes fluctuate on a daily basis. So if your looking to trade I would recommend Carvana and check them every other day. I was asking 29,000 and got very close to that their was no way I was trading in my car for that low I would have just kept it. One other recommendation if Tesla does come back with an offer that is low they will negotiate with you and raise it at least they did for me.

Found this on a blue 75D for sale...
notice range left in miles???
2016_tesla_model_s-pic-4567484356320400924-1024x768.jpeg

That is eery. did you figure it out?

Well.... Let's flip this around a bit. If you were shopping for some widget, but didn't know too much about said widget, wouldn't you be happy if someone who did know about them chimed in while you were shopping? It leaves a sour taste when you buy something, only to discover you overpaid. Sure the seller is happy, but the buyer feels ripped off.

The problem is there's never a happy medium, no easy way to say "You offer X, I offer Z, lets compromise on Y." Especially in a market that fluctuates as much as the used Tesla market, there's too many variables.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
Well.... Let's flip this around a bit. If you were shopping for some widget, but didn't know too much about said widget, wouldn't you be happy if someone who did know about them chimed in while you were shopping? It leaves a sour taste when you buy something, only to discover you overpaid. Sure the seller is happy, but the buyer feels ripped off.

The problem is there's never a happy medium, no easy way to say "You offer X, I offer Z, lets compromise on Y." Especially in a market that fluctuates as much as the used Tesla market, there's too many variables.

That or, option b. "I put my car for sale for X, however, Telsa had a massive drop and is now cheaper to buy from + a 4yr warranty for X-$$ and someone is telling me this, but they arent interested in my item, so they're just trolling the classifieds"

I noticed in some prior threads a lot of folks were asking what Tesla gives for cars. I just sold my 2013 S 85 with 96,000 to a private party. The car had sunroof, tech package, cold weather package, and tan leather with dark blue exterior. Tesla was offering right at 24,100 and the initial offer was 21,000. I went to CarMax who offered 20,000 as well as Carvana which was the highest at 24,800. The funny thing I learned was Carvana's quotes fluctuate on a daily basis. So if your looking to trade I would recommend Carvana and check them every other day. I was asking 29,000 and got very close to that their was no way I was trading in my car for that low I would have just kept it. One other recommendation if Tesla does come back with an offer that is low they will negotiate with you and raise it at least they did for me.

Tesla certainly didn’t negotiate with me so not sure this always works.

I don't think it's reasonable to equate a car which sells from $50K to $90K is equivalent to some "widget", nor (as @yousexy already noted) is it likely that people coming here to look for a Tesla don't know much about "said widget". I would really think anyone even considering the purchase of a used car from this forum would also check other sources and have a clue what they're buying... if they didn't, they would consider this extremely risky and would be going to a Tesla store and asking for their used cars.

Even if you assume that a buyer is ignorant, which I don't, simply seeing several cars here on TMC offered at different prices will give them a clear look at the range of prices available. That, plus the Tesla site itself and its new/used inventory always available online, are already significant sources of price information. To go even further, an interested-but-ignorant buyer could just start another thread linking to the for-sale thread and asking for advice on it. There's no shortage of resources for the buyer to become educated on current pricing plus every other variable they may care about.

And lastly, of course there's a happy medium! I didn't sell for my asking price, nor even close to it, but I sold the car quickly because it became clear to potential buyers that my car was in great shape, I was making every possible effort to be transparent (I even supplied a spreadsheet with nine other cars against which to compare mine), and I was perfectly willing to listen to, and address, any price negotiation. It was as simple as what you say can't be done: I asked X, they offered Z, we compromised on Y.

And none of that really benefits from people trolling for-sale threads and being snarky about whatever they think is right or proper pricing. Really, it's no one's business except for an interested buyer and the seller.

Truth.

Unfortunately, it’s very bad here.

I’ve met phenomenal folks on the road. Love it and will likely always own a Tesla or a couple of them.

I believe it’s a forum issue, a few bad apples spoiling the bunch and little to no moderation. It’s pretty sad.
I am glad you have had and continue to have other, positive, experiences with the brand and its universe. Sadly, I have not. Apathy and/or condescension at every turn.
Good news is, I have always been a German car gal at heart. Fingers crossed on the Taycan.

I am glad you have had and continue to have other, positive, experiences with the brand and its universe. Sadly, I have not. Apathy and/or condescension at every turn.
Good news is, I have always been a German car gal at heart. Fingers crossed on the Taycan.

The Taycan is beautiful, I hope they build up the charging infrastructure. Tesla is way ahead there. P Cars are where it’s at though, had a Panamera TT a few years back and it was truly amazing.

Moderators: Can we get this forum under control? Constant posting of WTB in For Sale thread not WTB thread and people are constantly commenting on sellers asking price, which is against forum rules. This is getting out of control.

Oh please, they never moderate this section and all that you are complaining about has always happened. It will never change.

I personally think the used prices for older Model S are going to stabilize between $20K and $30K and stick there, simply because the available supply of new, long-range electric cars in the $20-$30K price bracket is practically nonexistent. Looking at Carvana and cars.com, I see everything going for over $30K, though I see some private sales being offered below that without selling instantly.