Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General chit-chat in "For Sale" threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not mean to derail the conversation, but as a quick aside. I just saw this and now my heart hurts a little. What happened to this poor thing? Even if they had this Model S driving in the background of some dystopian future movie, I would think that the set designer had overdone it.

2013 Tesla Model S | eBay

At least the seller seems to be realistic about what he has. I wish I had the disposable income to bring it home and just give it lots of hugs.

Last edited:
I do not mean to derail the conversation, but as a quick aside. I just saw this and now my heart hurts a little. What happened to this poor thing? Even if they had this Model S driving in the background of some dystopian future movie, I would think that the set designer had overdone it.

At least the seller seems to be realistic about what he has. I wish I had the disposable income to bring it home and just give it lots of hugs.

That car just needs to be sold for parts at this point.

Reactions: Qbenjamin

I can almost guarantee that has a salvage title too.

• Disagree
Reactions: Super_Popular
What is it about Tesla that makes owners massively overvalue their cars? I've owned over 20 cars and been on many forums and I've never seen a phenomenon like this site. Pricing 20-50% over market value is the norm here and every now and then pricing higher than brand new. I've noticed that only about 1 in every 10 listings is even remotely close to market value and they sell fast. The reat sit for months and months and owners refuse to believe their price is the issue.

Is it that owners are more emotionally tied to Teslas? Is it due to Tesla's eratic pricing changes and sales? Is it that owners don't understand the concept of depreciation? Is it due to Tesla's not having a traditional yearly release schedule with updates? Is it due to early adoption?

Genuinely curious why the 2nd hand market on Teslas is so all over the map.

• Disagree
"JamesBrown, post: 3820337, member: 49514" Is it due to Tesla's eratic pricing changes and sales?

It could be any combination of factors but I really think on the performance models it boils down to this. When I started looking at Teslas, used P85Ds were in the 90s and up. P100Ds used to be 150k, lately current owners were picking them up in the 80s BRAND NEW.....

It could be any combination of factors but I really think on the performance models it boils down to this. When I started looking at Teslas, used P85Ds were in the 90s and up. P100Ds used to be 150k, lately current owners were picking them up in the 80s BRAND NEW.....
I agree, Tesla's has been their own worst enemy here, initially Tesla's had the best retained value of anything in the market but with the constant downward pricing on the S and the introduction of the cheaper 3, resale values of the older S have fallen off a cliff. I think there are now a number of factors that will help the used S prices going forward, no new face lift, no interior makeover, no proposed increase in battery size and limited inventory of 85's lease returns coming back into the market via Tesla. My guess is the P85D's will gradually overcome the P90D's current small price premium as the battery issues become better known and the used 85's end up with a greater actual range than the 90's.

What would be the value on a used 2019 M3 LR RWD (AP, premium black interior, 4K mileage), $45k?
A brand new 2019 M3 LR AWD (white, black interior, AP, 0 milage) is $51k (including destination fee and federal tax credit). Generally AWD is more valuable/desirable than RWD for majority of people. It was a $4k price increase when it was available, so I'd say a brand new LR RWD would be worth $47k if still available. I'd estimate on the lowest end of deprecation based on year/mileage, so 10%.

$47k - 10% deprecation = $42.3k

• Disagree
Just be aware that if you post it for sale here at that price (as fair as that price seems) people will still rip you apart claiming you are asking way too much.
This is a BS statement. Just recently someone posted a 2018 M3 LR AWD and included 20% deprecation for being a year old and 15k miles. Everyone applauded them for finally have a logical price. A 2019 model with only 4k miles would easily be fair to expect around 10% depreciation.

You do not have to have a low price, you just have to have a reasonable price.

• Disagree