Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General chit-chat in "For Sale" threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are more than welcome to read my previous posts, you follow my every post anyways.
Found one for you James!!!
upload_2019-7-26_18-7-0.png

I thought about posting this question in the general For Sale section, but decided not to clutter up that space.

I'm in the market for a Model X, minimum 90D but would easily welcome a 100D. I do find a Performance model tempting - although it would be an additional $1,000/year in insurance. So tempting though. Anyhow, there's a Model X I've been tracking for the past week (5YJXCBE21GF030339) on EV-CPO that meets my color and equipment criteria and it's dipped below $70,000. 6 months ago I think that would have been unheard of.

Calling on the knowledge of the group. What do you suppose would be the selling price of the Model X? I'm thinking $65K and at a discount of $500 a day that puts my buying window at about 10 days from now? Certainly compared to other similarly options cars on EV-CPO it's not the best value, 1. high miles, 2. 1,200 miles away from me, and a shorter warranty but if the price is right maybe I GO FOR IT, or perhaps hold off? I know I'd have buyer's remorse if similarly equipped 100D or P100D dipped below $70K within my buying window of the next two months.

Thanks in advance.

I thought about posting this question in the general For Sale section, but decided not to clutter up that space.

I'm in the market for a Model X, minimum 90D but would easily welcome a 100D. I do find a Performance model tempting - although it would be an additional $1,000/year in insurance. So tempting though. Anyhow, there's a Model X I've been tracking for the past week (5YJXCBE21GF030339) on EV-CPO that meets my color and equipment criteria and it's dipped below $70,000. 6 months ago I think that would have been unheard of.

Calling on the knowledge of the group. What do you suppose would be the selling price of the Model X? I'm thinking $65K and at a discount of $500 a day that puts my buying window at about 10 days from now? Certainly compared to other similarly options cars on EV-CPO it's not the best value, 1. high miles, 2. 1,200 miles away from me, and a shorter warranty but if the price is right maybe I GO FOR IT, or perhaps hold off? I know I'd have buyer's remorse if similarly equipped 100D or P100D dipped below $70K within my buying window of the next two months.

Thanks in advance.
Personally I judge cars by standard depreciation schedules, 20% for first year and 10-15% for each year after that.
That car brand new (dark silver/cream/6seat) is $93.3k with all the current Raven upgrades. Meaning a 2016 model should be about $55-60k. That car is a super late build 2016 (nov) and has AP2, so you could justify pricing it similar to a 2017. A 2017 model should be $64-67k.

You should also factor in that the included free CPO extended 4 year warranty is worth about $5k.

• Disagree
Reactions: Daddy S
Was hoping you would chime in JamesBrown! No free CPO extended 4 year warranty :-( It's 2 year, 100,000 miles. I do wonder if that's some sort of red flag.

Been looking at historical data. Lowest P90 with similar options $73K, but still sifting through EV-CPO data.

Was hoping you would chime in JamesBrown! No free CPO extended 4 year warranty :-( It's 2 year, 100,000 miles. I do wonder if that's some sort of red flag.

Been looking at historical data. Lowest P90 with similar options $73K, but still sifting through EV-CPO data.
All the warranties automatically drop from 4 year to 2 year after the car hits 40k miles. It doesn't mean anything except the car has more than 40k miles on it.

On that particular car I would personally shoot for 65k. But if you trade in a car, you only have to pay sales tax on the difference so it can save you a couple thousand more. The Tesla trade in offer was actually higher than the Carmax offer on my Rover. Trading it into Tesla saves me another $3k in sales tax. So I also factor that into my decision.

Also I do not see any P90Ds available with AP2. It looks like currently the cheapest P car with AP2 is a 2016 P100D for 80k.

Personally I judge cars by standard depreciation schedules, 20% for first year and 10-15% for each year after that.
That car brand new (dark silver/cream/6seat) is $93.3k with all the current Raven upgrades. Meaning a 2016 model should be about $55-60k. That car is a super late build 2016 (nov) and has AP2, so you could justify pricing it similar to a 2017. A 2017 model should be $64-67k.

You should also factor in that the included free CPO extended 4 year warranty is worth about $5k.

James has never owned a Tesla so take any advice he has with a grain of salt. He says he has been looking to buy one... but hasn’t found the right one in 3 yrs. He knows nothing about the market value. If you want me to give u a list of what they have sold for at dealer auctions only, I will. That will be the most accurate value.

• Disagree
Reactions: JamesBrown
Tesla is know for delivering some pretty awful vehicles and even ones with unclaimed accidents. I wonder if it’s not a salvage and since they still cover under warranty if they actually will inform you of previous accidents. I have only seen some that were salvages that they listed the actual report but still provided a warranty. Rule of thumb if it seems to good to be true it probably is. Also I would fun your own Carfax and autocheck on any car you decide to purchase especially if it feels seems like a red flag. It can take 2-3 months for accidents to show on reports and some will show only on one of the two (Carfax or autocheck)

All the warranties automatically drop from 4 year to 2 year after the car hits 40k miles. It doesn't mean anything except the car has more than 40k miles on it.

On that particular car I would personally shoot for 65k. But if you trade in a car, you only have to pay sales tax on the difference so it can save you a couple thousand more. The Tesla trade in offer was actually higher than the Carmax offer on my Rover. Trading it into Tesla saves me another $3k in sales tax. So I also factor that into my decision.

Also I do not see any P90Ds available with AP2. It looks like currently the cheapest P car with AP2 is a 2016 P100D for 80k.
This is also not true it is based on the year and or if it has 50k miles plus. Anything up too 2015 will usually only have a 2 year 100k mile warranty unless it has under 30k miles.

I really wouldn’t worry about AP2 and getting one with AP1 will save you a good amount. FSD will not happen anytime soon. Musk has been claiming it’s release dates for awhile now but there are so many factors involved that you won’t even own the car in the 5-10 years it will be until the software will be used. So technically any Ap1 car will give u the same ability as Ap2 besides maybe changing lanes on it own without using the blinker urself. The summon feature may happen sooner than later but still no guarantee which just shows how far FSD has to go. One travels at 5mph and can’t get past regulations to be completely implemented. Elon has basically banked Tesla’s success on FSD which is why he has to make the claims he does. Even with the software advancing to level 5 which is full autonomous it would still take years before they would allow cars to be self driving largely due to insurance and determining who is at fault in an accident.

don't mean to divert or change the subject mid topic, but I'm going to test drive a LR DM M3 tomorrow and may end up leasing one. My topic for discussion is FSD in leased vehicles. I believe Tesla should enable FSD on all leased vehicles as a curtesy since the vehicles are not owned by the lessee. OR at the very least, half price. I don't think its fair to pay full price for FSD when I'm only leasing/renting the car for 3 years without an option to purchase and continue using the feature. OR FSD should be person based. that way it travels with your Tesla account as you buy or lease new vehicles. What are your thoughts????

are the condition ratings based on a 5.0 scale? (like Manheim uses)
Yes these are Manheim. And you receive no warranty besides the 4 yr bumper to bumper and 8 yr battery and motors. However I don’t believe Tesla’s 4 yr extended warranty is worth anymore than $2k max. The 8 yr warranty covers the most expensive and most common issues besides door handles and Screen. Also to note unless you checked the car beforehand it’s impossible to say exactly what upgrades have been added. But this is ur best way to determine values including taxes. Most dealers only buy for specific buyers at auctions , not always. The more expensive the car the less likely it was bought for a specific buyer cuz most dealers at auctions top out around $50-$80K cause they have to pay for them in full. Anything above that is usually a better deal for the dealer usually dealerships can afford the higher and more profitable inventory. And what most people don’t realize is that exotic/super cars hold their value much better than any luxury/standard car. That’s why you see 6-8 yr old Ferrari still above 50% of their original value. Ferrari hold their value the most.. So when valuing an auction price include tax and around $2-$5k on purchase price for the profit of the dealer (depending on price spent) Some are much higher but most are not accepting anything less than $2k depending on the price if that. Obviously the big dealerships have lines of credit and can purchase the more expensive cars making 20% off them also depending how greedy the dealership is is how long they like to hold on too inventory. I would say that most the Tesla’s from an auction are in surprisingly in better condition than from Tesla unless Tesla put them in. Tesla doesn’t do their own loans on their cars , so the ones they put in are lease returns. In that case they are probably not in the best condition or they r desperate for money which is almost always the case for Tesla lol

Last edited:
Reactions: NoirMS