Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General chit-chat in "For Sale" threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wasn’t looking to start an argument your right a seller can ask whatever they want for a car personally felt that price was a bit extreme which is why I asked the question ... doesn’t bother me at all one way or the other

Ignore him. He's always jumping in and attacking me when I call out sellers listing cars for outrageous prices. In your case, yes, as mentioned above, probably mid 20s should be ok for that car. For 44k you can even get a nice 2016 facelift dual motor S if you spend some time searching.

Some sellers don't seem to get that just because one person gets a way above average for their car doesn't mean that everyone should or will. For every person that gets lucky getting the high price they want there are always others who have to lower the asking price multiple times or go below average if they need to move the car. Cherry picked data from a personal experience of selling a car out of line from market data does not change the realities of the market. If someone is trying to sell a car for 10k over market average and gets it, they got lucky and more than likely had to sit on the car for a while and risk further depreciation waiting for the right buyer. It does not mean that everyone who suggests those cars are priced high are wrong.

Ignore him. He's always jumping in and attacking me when I call out sellers listing cars for outrageous prices. In your case, yes, as mentioned above, probably mid 20s should be ok for that car. For 44k you can even get a nice 2016 facelift dual motor S if you spend some time searching.

In his defense, you are one of the worst offenders for this specific rules violation of the FS forum. The moderators have explicitly said that price commenting is against the rules.

If a car is overpriced, keep it to yourself. Buyers are not idiots and don't need you to hold their hand. An overpriced car will not sell, and the seller will drop their price or not sell the car.

Excessive price commenting on cars KEEPS PEOPLE FROM LISTING THEM HERE, because of the reputation this forum has because of people like you, which in the end hurts both buyers and sellers, since there are fewer cars to see and evaluate. I know I am extremely hesitant to post our two cars here, even though I would do my research and price them fairly, just because I don't want to deal with the likes of you.

It's very different if someone ASKS for pricing commentary, but you and a select group of other self-righteous people like to butt in and comment for no apparent reason except to increase your post count or get into arguments.

If a car is overpriced, keep it to yourself. Buyers are not idiots and don't need you to hold their hand. An overpriced car will not sell, and the seller will drop their price or not sell the car.

Here's the problem. If it's just somewhat overpriced, yes, this is the case and commenting is not warranted if the sellers don't ask for advice. But the thing is, some sellers are so insanely over that it's most of the times obvious that they know the market and just want to see if they can take advantage of an oblivious buyer. When this doesn't work and they don't sell, some just move on and even post that it's been sold, which is either lies or they found a poor soul and scammed him/her. From here it goes downhill because other sellers will see this and if the thread is clean (no one called out the seller on his price) they'll just see that it's sold and assume that's the going price.

I did dial back my approach lately but I will not sit idle when I see these sellers.

Here's the problem. If it's just somewhat overpriced, yes, this is the case and commenting is not warranted if the sellers don't ask for advice. But the thing is, some sellers are so insanely over that it's most of the times obvious that they know the market and just want to see if they can take advantage of an oblivious buyer. When this doesn't work and they don't sell, some just move on and even post that it's been sold, which is either lies or they found a poor soul and scammed him/her. From here it goes downhill because other sellers will see this and if the thread is clean (no one called out the seller on his price) they'll just see that it's sold and assume that's the going price.

I did dial back my approach lately but I will not sit idle when I see these sellers.

What don't you understand, it's AGAINST THE RULES (see Mod Note on FIRST post of this thread). Are you somehow so entitled that the rules don't apply to you?

People don't need you to freaking baby sit them on pricing, and it's simply rude to think you should, and insulting to everyone's intelligence that "you know best" what a car is worth.

So what if a cars sells for 5k more (or less) than you THINK it should have. To the buyer it was worth 5k more. Perhaps it had a specific feature set that was exactly what that person wanted and they were willing to pay more for it. That's the point to a free market.

Free market ...as long as you blindly follow all rules. Got it. Because you wrote in caps I understand now, I've learned my lesson and I'll join the rest of the sheep.

Lol, not :)))

That the best comeback you got? You think people go spend 30-80k on a used Tesla are idiots that don't do their homework and need your help on pricing? Somehow you are more qualified than a google search, clicking through KBB, etc? That's quite the ego you have there son.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
You're wrong, buying a more expensive car doesn't always mean they're that smart and actually doing research. Honestly I can see this way too, if someone is dumb enough to pay that much without looking around, they probably deserve paying way more... but it still ends up hurting other sellers/buyers who will see that it sold for That much.

I'm not here looking for the "best" comeback. If that's your reason for being in this argument, I'm sorry for you. In any case, I'll stop replying now, there's no point and we're just wasting each other's time.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ostrichsak
You're wrong, buying a more expensive car doesn't always mean they're that smart and actually doing research. Honestly I can see this way too, if someone is dumb enough to pay that much without looking around, they probably deserve paying way more... but it still ends up hurting other sellers/buyers who will see that it sold for That much.

I'm not here looking for the "best" comeback. If that's your reason for being in this argument, I'm sorry for you. In any case, I'll stop replying now, there's no point and we're just wasting each other's time.

Doesn't matter if I'm wrong or you are wrong, the rules are the rules.

If the owners and mods change the rules so price commenting is within the rules, I'll shut up and not say anything further. Until that happens, I'm going to call you out on it every time I see it happening, period.

+1 to what others said, it's annoying when you list a car for sale at a reasonable price, and inevitably someone pop-ups and says that the price is too high and you can get a better deal somewhere else etc. Buyers are not stupid, they compare prices and negotiate. So adding a comment stating that price is high is not helpful.

There hasn’t been a lot of cars being posted on here anymore. Looks like people are using other places to sell their cars.
That's a LOT of site traffic lost and a LOT of new members that will never return due to a few bad apples who spoiled the bunch. I wish this had been addressed publicly and definitively a long time ago by forum staff. This left a very bad taste in the mouth of not only the people selling but others who witnessed the bullying that was going on seemingly unchecked making the forum seem hostile and aggressive. Sadly the damage has been done and will take years to recover from as members (new and old) have gone elsewhere weakening our growing community.