Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General chit-chat in "For Sale" threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are more but here are 3 recent examples of reasonable/moderately overpriced listings where people have not behaved:

2018 P100D Ludicrous FSD, 13k miles
Reasonably priced from the start, thread still hijacked

2017 Model X for Sale. Long Island NY.
Moderately overpriced (~5K).. called out as overpriced and offers below trade-in price

Tesla Model X - 2020 Performance White/White CF
Reasonably priced from the start, called overpriced in comparison to an outlier sale that was a once in a lifetime deal, thread hijacked talking about the outlier deal.

What evidence do YOU have that any particular deal was an outlier? I could just as easily argue the other way that a lower price on a particular deal is the direction the market is moving in, and that the prior sales are outdated and meaningless.

Reactions: cucubits
What evidence do YOU have that any particular deal was an outlier? I could just as easily argue the other way that a lower price on a particular deal is the direction the market is moving in, and that the prior sales are outdated and meaningless.

Whether it is the most recent or not, a single data point that is an abnormal distance from the general trend is in fact an outlier. But ok, for arguments sake lets not call it an outlier. Do you think it was appropriate behavior to call out the owner in his classified ad because of the $6K difference between that listing and the initial asking price?

• Love
Reactions: byeLT4 and bkp_duke
Whether it is the most recent or not, a single data point that is an abnormal distance from the general trend is in fact an outlier. But ok, for arguments sake lets not call it an outlier. Do you think it was appropriate behavior to call out the owner in his classified ad because of the $6K difference between that listing and the initial asking price?

Yes. I think it's fine to ask someone to justify their price. As a seller you should be expecting to be questioned and have your justification ready.

I see zero issue with that, I would expect to be asked the same if I was the seller.

Newbie poster here. I could use some advice in posting a price in a couple days for my 2018 M3 Performance w/ Performance Pkg., FSD, 8,400 miles, Midnight Silver, clear bra, ceramic coat. It’s mint with not a mark on it. My Model Y is arriving.
Would be grateful for suggestions for a fair asking price.

Newbie poster here. I could use some advice in posting a price in a couple days for my 2018 M3 Performance w/ Performance Pkg., FSD, 8,400 miles, Midnight Silver, clear bra, ceramic coat. It’s mint with not a mark on it. My Model Y is arriving.
Would be grateful for suggestions for a fair asking price.

Don't list it on this site, list in on craigslist, autotrader or a free cars.com add.

Listings on this site most likely will be a waste of your time.

I have always had good luck on craigslist.

A new 3P with FSD now is $63k, why do you you suggest $59k is an ok price for a two year old model?

Based upon sale prices on onlyusedtesla.com, tesla.com, and tesla-info.com.

I kid you not, I could sell my P3D for more money than I paid for it in Jan (used 2018).

EDIT - and a new car is $64k, not 63k. Remember, you can NEVER get around that $1200 delivery charge, even if you go to Freemont and pick up the car.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rmf1981

I kid you not, I could sell my P3D for more money than I paid for it in Jan (used 2018).

EDIT - and a new car is $64k, not 63k. Remember, you can NEVER get around that $1200 delivery charge, even if you go to Freemont and pick up the car.
Asking price != Sale price. You'd need to find that rare buyer who is so impatient that they can't wait 3-6 weeks for a new, better, lower priced car. Seems far fetched to me.

Asking price != Sale price. You'd need to find that rare buyer who is so impatient that they can't wait 3-6 weeks for a new, better, lower priced car. Seems far fetched to me.

Really? Are you sure asking price != sale price (insert sarcasm here).

The FACT is that the person that asked about price, has put in some decent add-ons to their car (yes, I know these don't get full value back). The car is also VERY low mileage for a 2018. Plus, he should be grandfathered into Unlimited Connectivity, which doesn't come with Model 3 cars anymore.

I'm always looking for a deal, and I keep close tabs on these cars, the prices on USED Model 3s, especially low mileage P3Ds has been trending up since Jan.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rmf1981

How are you getting price data from only used Tesla?

I asked, because the prices depicted there are not necessarily the sale prices. I spoke about this very question with the site operator.he says he asks people to update the sales price, but has no way to guarantee if they actually do or not.

I would therefore not consider onlyusedTesla a reliable source for any kind of pricing information. you'll be able to see where the asking price started, but anything more than that is conjecture.

I think the main reasons why "sold" deals don't stick on the buyer side is because they feel the car wasn't as represented in the listing or they couldn't get needed financing.

Sham/bogus bids can complicate things as well.
That would be an indication prices could be even lower if those buyers didn't come through. Some prices people are asking just make no sense because if their cars were actually worth that much it would be stupid for someone not to buy new. It's not like model 3s are sold out for 6 months. I see plenty of fair prices listed but those cars sell pretty fast. The ones that linger around at a high price are what people see. Trade in on carvana is down to 42,600 + trade in tax savings for a 15k miles 2019 FSD performance 3. That probably pegs actual expected selling prices closer to 50k.