Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General chit-chat in "For Sale" threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this - feel free to move if need be.

Question on selling/trading in a new M3. I have one on order set to land in August and am realizing that budget-wise it probably makes more sense to go with one a couple years older. I'm considering just taking delivery of the new one since they seem to appreciate immediately rather than depreciate in this crazy market, and then just bringing it to a dealer and asking for a trade + cash on their end.

With financing, any idea how long I'd have to wait before being able to take an offer on it? I know if I use third party financing I have to wait on Tesla to sort out registration/title which can take a while, but if I finance through Tesla would the title be immediately available?

Appreciate any insight!

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this - feel free to move if need be.

Question on selling/trading in a new M3. I have one on order set to land in August and am realizing that budget-wise it probably makes more sense to go with one a couple years older. I'm considering just taking delivery of the new one since they seem to appreciate immediately rather than depreciate in this crazy market, and then just bringing it to a dealer and asking for a trade + cash on their end.

With financing, any idea how long I'd have to wait before being able to take an offer on it? I know if I use third party financing I have to wait on Tesla to sort out registration/title which can take a while, but if I finance through Tesla would the title be immediately available?

Appreciate any insight!

Not really IMO. Used car prices are just insanely overpriced. New cars are actually the better value IMO.

I've seen some 2018s and 2019s for between 45k-50k with FSD. Considering how well they should hold up over time, that's probably worth it to us vs. the $65k we could likely get from the dealer for a new one.

All the horror stories about rattles, noise, poor quality... those are early Model 3s (and Xs and Ss). The newer Model 3s are almost flawless to me.

Also... mileage is important. You hit 100K and the battery warranty expires - replacing it is $20K+ at least.

Personally I would not want a 2018/2019 Model 3s... maybe Model S from that era - sure.

All the horror stories about rattles, noise, poor quality... those are early Model 3s (and Xs and Ss). The newer Model 3s are almost flawless to me.

Also... mileage is important. You hit 100K and the battery warranty expires - replacing it is $20K+ at least.

Personally I would not want a 2018/2019 Model 3s... maybe Model S from that era - sure.
120k miles for the AWD if I'm not mistaken. We'd probably be looking in the sub 60k miles area, so would have several years left for the battery and drive unit warranties.

Still have the question though of whether or not if I go with Tesla financing the title is immediately (or very quickly) available if I wanted to turn around and sell it rather than waiting the month or two with third party financing.
I have bought/sold cars with a lien. New Bank lender handles paperwork. Based on personal experience buying out a lease from Tesla, I have more confidence in a third party bank being able to handle it quickly.

I have bought/sold cars with a lien. New Bank lender handles paperwork. Based on personal experience buying out a lease from Tesla, I have more confidence in a third party bank being able to handle it quickly.
Can you share this experience? How did you initiate the conversation with the bank and how did the bank react to your intent to basically terminate the loan early? How did you know when the bank had the title?

Can you share this experience? How did you initiate the conversation with the bank and how did the bank react to your intent to basically terminate the loan early? How did you know when the bank had the title?
Sure. I initiated the lease buy out in the app while applying for a loan with DCU. Finally got a buy out form from Tesla that I gave to the bank. They mailed Tesla a check. Tesla then took a month to send me the title. As soon as I received it, I filed with DMV to pay sales taxes and lien with DCU. DMV wanted to hit me 10% for late filing and I had to file a waiver request explaining that Tesla was late. Then waited for my title to arrive a while getting threatening emails from bank. Finally got title with lien and forwarded to bank. Total 3 months if I remember correctly. It sucked.

• Informative
Reactions: Hiline
Sure. I initiated the lease buy out in the app while applying for a loan with DCU. Finally got a buy out form from Tesla that I gave to the bank. They mailed Tesla a check. Tesla then took a month to send me the title. As soon as I received it, I filed with DMV to pay sales taxes and lien with DCU. DMV wanted to hit me 10% for late filing and I had to file a waiver request explaining that Tesla was late. Then waited for my title to arrive a while getting threatening emails from bank. Finally got title with lien and forwarded to bank. Total 3 months if I remember correctly. It sucked.
Thank you for sharing! This process does sound very complicated. Have you ever sold or bought a financed car? Wonder how long that process would take.

how did the bank react to your intent to basically terminate the loan early?
Banks don’t care at all about early payoffs. Unless the loan agreement has an early payoff penalty… and in that case they care even less as they’re getting an additional payment. They’ll just turn around an re-lend the money to someone else at the same or now even better interest rate. Banks don’t have emotions, the terms of early payoff is in the loan agreement. Simple.

Reactions: Hiline
Looking for some opinions in this crazy market.

Price check:

2020 Tesla Model X Long Range Plus, 34k miles, six seater, Blue/Black, FSD enabled, 2 owners
2022 Tesla Model 3 Dual motor, 6k miles, Red/White, FSD enabled, 1 owner

No stories, no issues.

Attachments

• 44AAD666-AF98-4FD9-A6D4-26AF0054721A.jpeg
    44AAD666-AF98-4FD9-A6D4-26AF0054721A.jpeg
    593.6 KB · Views: 74