Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General chit-chat in "For Sale" threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good point. Not likely to get model X under $80k but hey, it was worth a try
;) Give it a couple months? It’s sad for people who bought in 21 and 22 (myself included) but this “cars are appreciating assets” shtick needs to be gone. If you car is used, it’s used. Not like new, drives like new etc. Accept the fact that once a car drives off the lot it’s 20% less valuable. And if Tesla dropped new car prices, your “used” cars are going to lose even more value.

Last edited:
Reactions: saj070
It is here because people can see price drop and they can offer accordingly

It is call looking after your forum members and not over paying

Um no, that's what this thread is for.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Um no, that's what this thread is for.

Ok let’s agree to disagree no point we all have our own opinion

FYI - Elon at it again and used car prices ready to drop again buyers you have more negotiating power extra $5k lol

Save save save Don’t be like me and others got smacked by Elon buying a car last year

GL

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Just a quick mention. I was recently selling my P85DL+ and then found out that this year's price cuts seems to have motivated a bunch of exiting Tesla owners to upgrade, which in turn resulted in a wave of used cars sent to auction by Tesla. I found this out when trying to trade-in 2 Tesla Model S's for one Audi, where the dealer told me they don't want to trade in any Teslas at all. as their parent company just bought 130 Teslas from an auction, so they are set for Teslas for the moment. I ended up selling my P85D and not buying the Audi, but just mentioning it here as an FYI - there may be an additional supply of used Teslas on the market right now, caused by the Tesla price reductions.

Hi everyone, I took over someone’s Tesla lease in January of this year. Since then, my job situation has changed drastically unexpectedly, and the current mileage isn’t going to work for me. Since we've exhausted Tesla's 1 lease transfer rule, does anyone have any ideas on how I can get someone to take this over somehow unofficially? I obviously don't want to be scammed since the car will still have to remain in my name, but I need to get out of this lease ASAP, and the early lease termination quote is super expensive. Any feedback would be super appreciated!

Here are the original specs:
  • 2022 Model 3 Long Range AWD
  • Term: 36 months (18 months remaining - lease ends on March 2, 2025)
  • 10,000 miles/ year (9,850 miles remaining)
  • Monthly Payment-$639.70
  • Color: Red Multi-Coat with 19" Sport Wheels, Black & White Interior

Just talking off the top of my head here:

Is it possible to buy out a lease before its term? Pay Tesla for the car and become the owner rather than the leasee? If so, you could buy out the lease and sell the car rather than transfer the lease. You could use an escrow agent to protect both you and the buyer. You'd have to pay the escrow fee and probably sell below Blue Book to make up for the inconvenience to the buyer.

Again, just a thought. I have no idea if they'd allow you to buy the car outright before the end of the lease. At least that would not be as bad for Tesla as taking the car back early. So maybe they would?

Hi everyone, I took over someone’s Tesla lease in January of this year. Since then, my job situation has changed drastically unexpectedly, and the current mileage isn’t going to work for me. Since we've exhausted Tesla's 1 lease transfer rule, does anyone have any ideas on how I can get someone to take this over somehow unofficially? I obviously don't want to be scammed since the car will still have to remain in my name, but I need to get out of this lease ASAP, and the early lease termination quote is super expensive. Any feedback would be super appreciated!

Here are the original specs:
  • 2022 Model 3 Long Range AWD
  • Term: 36 months (18 months remaining - lease ends on March 2, 2025)
  • 10,000 miles/ year (9,850 miles remaining)
  • Monthly Payment-$639.70
  • Color: Red Multi-Coat with 19" Sport Wheels, Black & White Interior

At this rate it sounds like you’d go 10k miles over and need to pay $2.5k. If you average this over 36 months, you’d pay less than 100 bucks extra per month. Really doesn’t sound too bad.

Just talking off the top of my head here:

Is it possible to buy out a lease before its term? Pay Tesla for the car and become the owner rather than the leasee? If so, you could buy out the lease and sell the car rather than transfer the lease. You could use an escrow agent to protect both you and the buyer. You'd have to pay the escrow fee and probably sell below Blue Book to make up for the inconvenience to the buyer.

Again, just a thought. I have no idea if they'd allow you to buy the car outright before the end of the lease. At least that would not be as bad for Tesla as taking the car back early. So maybe they would?

M3/MY have no lease buyout options.

Presumably your car is insured, and if it gets totaled the insurance company pays?
Usually the insurance company pays to buy it out, then sells the wreck in an auction to recoup some of the costs. When you say "insurance company pays", pays what to whom? Say you put down $20K on a 3 year lease for Model Y Performance. It gets totaled after you make one payment. What happens next? Do you get a replacement car for 35 months from Tesla? Do you lose your down payment plus one monthly and walk away, but if so what happens to the wreck - Tesla owns it, any penalties for returning it in pieces?