Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think FUD about tesla is bad its nothing.

My wife is panicking about our CD's. She is worried that our bank will drop its FDIC insurance.
Some nut is saying banks are no longer carrying FDIC insurance because it costs too much.
She wants me to go online and check weekly that our bank is still a member.

If she finds out I have a Vanguard account I am toast !
Oh. Then don't tell her that SIPC insurance is worthless because the SIPC will refuse to pay out if your broker is crooked (which is the only thing SIPC insurance is for). This happens to be true; look up what the SIPC did to the Madoff and Stanford victims. Basically you are SOL if your broker is crooked, so vet your broker very carefully.

This is pretty rampant.

I did a test once with an illiquid stock. Buy 36.3 at one broker and sell 36.3 at another broker. Limit order. It didn't go through. We'll, I waited a few min and it didn't go through.
That's interesting. That's actually *legally required* to go through. The better brokers *will* put your order onto the national order book if they don't execute it immediately; I've been the "bid" or the "ask" on TSLA.

Elon Musk sends company email about 'extensive and damaging sabotage' by employee

Sigh. At least he was caught and we found the source of the AP nag push.
Great information that I will discuss with some friends. We had been talking how many are trying to sewer Tesla, be it the big oil, a competitors or even the UAW, that some employees could try to do it from the inside. Now there is proof but I have a feeling Elon and whoever is now investigating with keep the results under wrap. Too bad the media is not all over this like a Tesla fire.

MODERATOR:
EVERY ONE OF YOU knows how a thread disintegrates when mixed with politics.

It is - or should be - possible to have a mature discussion regarding the toxic nature of tariffs - and such a set of posts conceivably could tie into Market Action. As such, ===>but ONLY WITHIN those confines<=== such current events may be discussed here.

Diverge from that straight and narrow and you will be removed from posting.

Other Mod: I already moved them to
Market politics
before I got to this one...

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't use a *full service* broker, do you? The whole point of discount brokers is that they leave you alone and just execute trades for you! ;-)

No - I’m afraid I made my holdings and gains way more dramatic sounding than necessary - this is just in a RobinHood account :). I was just caught up in the fun of this rally, and imagining what it must be like to be a bear fearing the impending margin call - figured there may be an alternate universe with reverse margin calls coming in :)

I am quite happy with my 268% returns thus far on the options though. Still primarily a long stock holder, but these dips just felt like too good of a chance for leverage - if ever I wanted to trade rather than invest, this seemed the right time. I still think I’ve got more gains coming before expiration. But none of the options money was anything I wasn’t afraid of losing; we’ll see where it ends up.

That's interesting. That's actually *legally required* to go through. The better brokers *will* put your order onto the national order book if they don't execute it immediately; I've been the "bid" or the "ask" on TSLA.

I think both orders were pending on their internal pool before it goes on the national. Just so happens that the time spent on the internal pool is longer than I'd like to wait. So I sent the order directly to the exchange I wanted and problem solved.

So lesson learned. Don't use smart order routing at your broker. Specify an exchange. But even then, you never know what your broker is doing even if you force it. I read about someone trying to find a broker that doesn't front run them and was surprised to discover that even Interactive Broker does it. In any case, all anecdotal. Us retails don't have the resource to conduct official tests.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: neroden and TSLAopt
So I was reading Electrek’s article on the Audi E-Quattro this evening....this was the accompanying photo...

...and I got to wondering:
Those first and third gentlemen to the right: are they former Audi executives? Joe Arpaio also would want to know.

Front of car "designed" for enormous grill to fit, i wonder if there's actually something behind it thats needs air.

Personally I found these comments in Elon's email to be particularly noteworthy and a bit concerning:

"Then there are the multitude of big gas/diesel car company competitors. If they're willing to cheat so much about emissions, maybe they're willing to cheat in other ways?"

With all certainty Elon must of known the email would leak. And this statement is 'direct enough' about who he is referencing that it could infer he already has a belief (or proof?) that the German auto industry is gunning hard for him.....and willing to do so in the most unethical ways. But hey, there was nothing ethical about the emission scandal either! And if this were the case wouldn't this be icing on the death-cake for the German auto industry to get caught up in yet another scandal - this one in an effort to once again undermine the sustainability of the planet and humankind by attempting to destroy the only environmentally focused auto company (or not-an-auto company in this case) by literally planting a spy within that company to sabotage products and steal information. You can't make this stuff up. Tesla has had to overcome every trap people could set for them that they were certain was insurmountable.

Should probably explain why I disagree.
- Don´t like Elon starting a rumour like that if he doesn´t have proof. If he does, he should say so.
- In consequence, don´t like it if people jump right on and continue the rumour
- I think there is a difference between cheating by making your own products look better (which is bad and people are rightly facing the judicial consequences now, see Audi boss who got arrested) and sabotage of another company (which is worse IMHO).

As Jim Cramer has said, whenever insiders are buying instead of selling, the future is very bright. The fact that opponents are now resorting to blatantly illegal activities like industrial espionage and sabotage suggests the endgame is indeed near.
The fact that Elon is now resorting to blaming blatantly illegal activities like industrial espionage and sabotage for his failures suggests the endgame is indeed near.

here, fixed that for you

Should probably explain why I disagree.
- Don´t like Elon starting a rumour like that if he doesn´t have proof. If he does, he should say so.
- In consequence, don´t like it if people jump right on and continue the rumour
- I think there is a difference between cheating by making your own products look better (which is bad and people are rightly facing the judicial consequences now, see Audi boss who got arrested) and sabotage of another company (which is worse IMHO).

If you look at pay structure of all employees and the value of having an employee in a competitor's facility... I had an uncle who said a Ford man in a management position at Studebaker killed them.

The guy who runs Sears is killing them - so they say.

Why does the UAW want a board member?

How much money/family lifestyle is at stake?

Have you sever seen one employee sabotage the efforts of another at the same company?

People cross the "goodwill to all" line every day. Lying about how much you poison a shared resource and sticking a broomstick through the spokes of a competitor are both on the wrong side of that line.

Interesting, I did think they look rather in Eastern Europe but: Germany is a leading choice for Europe

Hard to find enough workforce here, over regulated in order to build a GF and strong Unions..... but you have all the "competition" nearby with them loosing revenue and reputation (my prediction) people may like to move over.

1. do you agree that it's probably tactically wise for tesla's 1st european gigafactory to be placed in germany (nervous automotive country)? :)

1 reply0 retweets3 likes
Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk
Replying to @pascal_munz @Zuckerberger @horn
Germany is a leading choice for Europe. Perhaps on the German-French border makes sense, near the Benelux countries

3:07 AM - 19 Jun 2018

I think both orders were pending on their internal pool before it goes on the national. Just so happens that the time spent on the internal pool is longer than I'd like to wait. So I sent the order directly to the exchange I wanted and problem solved.

So lesson learned. Don't use smart order routing at your broker. Specify an exchange. But even then, you never know what your broker is doing even if you force it. I read about someone trying to find a broker that doesn't front run them and was surprised to discover that even Interactive Broker does it. In any case, all anecdotal. Us retails don't have the resource to conduct official tests.

i use interactive brokers and i’ve never felt like i’ve been slighted in any way. i trade stock and options, very few fx trades. sometimes when you use smart, on larger options orders (say 30 contracts), you may hit multiplie exchanges offering NBBO (say 10 contracts each) and you can have executions at 3 exchanges which may cause the commissions to escalate a bit. but this is expected to get the best price. as prior commenter said you can not use smart, and go directly to one exchange, you may pay less comm, but may take longer to get filled on your limit. it’s nkt so much a complaint as it is just sometimes that happens when you’re messing around with a bunch of options contracts. anyway its still less than it was when i used td

• Informative
Reactions: TSLAopt and Drax7
The fact that Elon is now resorting to blaming blatantly illegal activities like industrial espionage and sabotage for his failures suggests the endgame is indeed near.

here, fixed that for you

I forgive him considering that competing auto manufacturers have been up to their neck in blatantly illegal activities for several years. Audi chief Rupert Stadler, for instance, was arrested just yesterday.

1980s living in Marin County and my neighbor worked at Wells Fargo in the Pension Management group. They had just broke $100 billion in funds they managed. His job? Manage Wall St. Banksters. Trades were in the billions. General strategy? Keep the top 80% and sell of the bottom 20% of low performers. He group was even using computer modeling to help keep track. He'd go to NY and switch Banks. He said none of the Bankster could resist the extra profit trading and switching firms the only way they could try to keep to a min. Buy low, sell high get in the middle of the trades. Corrupt to the core. You figure out how to make money doing it - Bankster made out just fine too. What a game. Bankster rules. Especially with Glass-Steagall repeal. If they steal from small investors, I'm sure it is all programed into the computers. Volume and volatility they keys. Varies by the minute or should I say second.

have fun and good luck

Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.