Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that would be a long-term bummer.
And short-term bummer since we lose the ability to time capital gains...

Guess I’ll have to find that old “what other cool tech stocks do you like?” thread and try to get comfortable with some other companies/industries. Dang! Major bummer all around.

upload_2018-8-7_14-20-8.png

What would this do to Elon's incentive package? Isn't it based on market cap?

Regardless, we all know Elon is not into saving the world for his financial benefit, but still, what would it mean?

This is awesome. Hope they do it. Finally can stop listening to the Short Brigade on SA.

I’m sure they’ll continue on just out of spite and ignorance if nothing else.

Meanwhile, having access to internal trading would be interesting. This worked out nicely for SAIC employees back in the day when it was 98% employee-owned. Iirc, trading could occur quarterly and shares were available at a discount to those employees.

Presumably it’s the same sort of thing for SpaceX employees now, and would be similar for Tesla employees. I need to go read stuff to understand the details for existing non-employee investors in similar cases. Maybe it’s as simple as the shares convert and there’s limited trading and that’s that.

Elon is not selling his shares, and it sounds like the board will not sell theirs either.

With a few others, the majority vote is there.

Now it’s up to how many people will sell at $420.

If that number is low, then this is a pretty straight forward deal. Maybe Elon struck a deal with the sovereign fund to have them pick up anyone selling at $420.

This is actually a pretty straight forward deal since those that hold the most stock are in Elon’s camp on this.

Bottomline: Elon is making the statement that investing is about putting your money behind a company to succeed, not to see it fail.

I agree whole heartedly, and will be holding for a very long time as a private shareholder.

Onward and upward.

IMO going private is a good move.

I Think Tesla will be just fine.

After all the wildfires I think Tesla will start getting the call from European and China Gov'ts soon, maybe CA too.

They'll want to implement a sort of Marshall plan. "Let's electrify transportation ASAP. We can either spend all our money fighting wildfires and rebuilding, or spend it on rapidly transitioning to an EV fleet, solar and battery storage. Hey Tesla, we''ll give you whatever you need. let's get it done!"

Reactions: gene and beeeerock
Holy crap.

Excluding China and India (yes, they have more valuable auto companies), today Tesla became the highest value automotive company in (most of) the world. More than GM, Ford, Fiat/Chrysler, even more than BMW and Daimler:

View attachment 323830

Tesla is not a car company. It's a technology company that currently doing breakthrough in car and energy field.

This is surreal... Spiegel is quoted in the latest Reuters piece about shorts being burned by today's announcement:

"I've got guys pitching me all the time on short ideas and I love to hear them, but in this environment I've been burned too many times and I'm gun shy about shorting anything that has any viability," said Mark Spiegel, portfolio manager of hedge fund Stanphyl Capital Partners.

And yet, he tried to short more TSLA today, but couldn't borrow any!

Spiegel, whose fund is short Tesla by holding puts that expire in January 2020, said it was “unfathomable to me" that anyone would finance a Tesla leveraged buyout.
He's delusional.

Status
Not open for further replies.