Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you wondering what happened yesterday at WallStreet.

My hunch is it had more to do with the interest for long and media term bonds crossing that with any kind of tweets.

M-715-13661464-Zinskurve.jpg

Some people say thats an increase curve and indication for a recession in the works. What speaks against it is the major influence the fed has on the bond market since a while. Still can happen though and clearly a signal to watch.

More telling would be though if the short term does cross the long term.

Good Vid on Pending EV Disruption.

I believe the VW CEO Diess urgently needs to talk to Jessie & Zach or better to Ross Tessian.

VW announced today they will develop their last ICE platform in 2026 and Ross Tessian analysis shows that the last ICE will be sold in 2026.

Hm, if thats true than I ask myself what VW intends to do with all the brand new ICE cars they are producing with brand new technology.

If Ross is wrong its just a failed analysis but if VW is wrong ....

I believe the VW CEO Diess urgently needs to talk to Jessie & Zach or better to Ross Tessian.

VW announced today they will develop their last ICE platform in 2026 and Ross Tessian analysis shows that the last ICE will be sold in 2026.

Hm, if thats true than I ask myself what VW intends to do with all the brand new ICE cars they are producing with brand new technology.

If Ross is wrong its just a failed analysis but if VW is wrong ....

Let's say Ross is wrong by 5 years.

In 2026 there will be ~50M ICEv sales.....and ~110M ICEv production capacity.

How much will legacy automakers need to discount their ICEv in order to move them off dealer lots?

7,000 Working At Tesla Gigafactory East Of Reno

"Tesla's battery factory in northern Nevada has created more than 7,000 jobs - 40 percent more than promised - and an additional 8,200 jobs in other local businesses since it opened east of Reno in 2014.

The Governor's Office of Economic Development said in a report Wednesday 7,059 employees were working in the Tesla/Panasonic gigafactory as of June 30 with average hourly wages of $25.78."

That was an annoying video. For one thing he shouldn't be telling the driver how to operate the vehicle, keep your hands off the wheel, don't touch anything if you feel unsafe etc. Ugh. Totally not how to use AP. I understand he's excited to show off AP's ability, but the way he does it is scaring people.

Reactions: replicant
New issue. I think the hedges purchase an equivalent amount of stock back from the market, however.
I don't get why these would be new issues from Tesla. The hedge is roughly a call option that Tesla bought already. Payoff from that option will cover the excess stock price above $360 paid in shares or cash. Tesla is not on the hook to make this payment, only the option writer is.

TSLA Option
This mid-Feb call at strike $360 is the closest traded instrument to what the bond option writer is exposed to. Trading at $40/sh, it has delta 0.64. So the hedge should be about 920M/360*0.64 = 1.64M shares, if they are delta hedging. But this is substantially more shares than they would likely need to pay out. For example if the average stock price in Feb is $400, they pay out $102M in cash or 256K shares. So they the option writer should already have more than enough shares on hand.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden
If a picture says a thousand words this pretty much sums why Tesla is a classic case study on how to do advertising/marketing...make good products/services and let other people advertise them for you for free. The photo isn't great, but that's a BMW dealership, and a Model X out front, this is the corner of a busy intersection. The Tesla was maybe traded in for a BMW, not sure, and if they had a Ferrari it would probably be in the same place. But still, it's an interesting sign of the times, especially as tsla goes up while the markets are down and surpasses the incumbents in market cap.
IMG_4441.JPG

Just doing a trip down memory lane. This was written by DaveT on the 9th Aug 2013:
2015 Revenue: $5.4 billion (this is not including any ZEV credits, etc)
Gross Margin: $1.62 billion (assuming 30% since the Elon Musk ceo incentive plan calls for 4 consecutive quarters of 30% gross margin and this needs to be reached prior to Gen III to have a realistic shot at it)
Net Profit: $810 million (assuming half of gross margin. Even if this number is lower than 1/2 gross margin because of large genIII capex expenses amortized, then that's fine because it will just raise the P/E investors will give because GenIII is imminent.)

So, in 2015, what kind of P/E multiple will investors give considering the company is growing very fast (probably $2b in 2013, $3.4b in 2014, $5.4b in 2015). I'd say investors will give at least a 50 P/E, and I think that's very conservative. With GenIII imminent I could see investors give a 100 P/E or more at that time. But let's take the more conservative 50 P/E for now.

2015 Market cap: $40.5 billion (50 P/E X $810m 2015 profit)

So now we need to apply a discount because we're purchasing TSLA stock today and there's some uncertainty in reaching those 2015 numbers and we need a decent investment return. So, let's apply a 40% discount (now this is arbitrary and really depends on how bullish you are on the stock). But I'll say 40% discount because Gen III is still looming in 2015 and provides a huge upside if successful.

Presently justified market cap: $24.3 billion ($40.5 billion 2015 market cap - 40% discount)

In terms of stock price, that's approximately $200/share (almost 120m outstanding x 200/share = $24 billion).

So, with TSLA at $155 right now, I think there could be a case that it's still undervalued (this is my current investment hypothesis, and the reason why I'm not selling anything right now).
Could have been written yesterday almost.
P/e ratio of 50 recommended - still seems reasonable for 2019?
Got to like the DaveT work all those years back - we stand on the shoulders of giants.

Whelp, I guess silence from convertible bond holders did not mean Tesla took the "default" option on the convertibles.

According to Bloomberg, for shareholders that convert they will pay them 50% in cash and 50% in stock. Nice show of confidence by Tesla in their cash position but at the same time would strengthen the balance sheet versus paying off 100% in cash. Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Status
Not open for further replies.