Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Making it front wheel drive rather than RWD should offer superior traction in rain and snow, even with weight evenly distributed with a battery rather than an engine sitting over the front end.
No. FWD only works with a heavy ICE on top of the drive wheels. RWD is superior in an EV. Acceleration transfers weight to the rear, that's why there are no front wheel drive drag cars.

No. FWD only works with a heavy ICE on top of the drive wheels. RWD is superior in an EV. Acceleration transfers weight to the rear, that's why there are no front wheel drive drag cars.

If you are talking straight line acceleration, sure. If you are talking straight line deceleration, FWD is better.

While more effect with chunk of iron over the front wheel, front wheel drive has the advantage of thrust vectoring. Within the steering range, you can keep the thrust going the way you want to go, not the way the car is pointing. Very handy when dealing with hills and banks. Additionally, you can reverse though a LOT of snow in a parking lot (if you parked before the storm, and the plow went behind you). And then, there is the maneuverability of a center mounted parking brake + FWD.

(Captain pedantic says: I loved my FWD cars, and it doesn't transfer weight, it transfers force CG stays in the same place;) (plus or minus an inch))

If you are talking straight line acceleration, sure. If you are talking straight line deceleration, FWD is better.
Depends on what "better" means. I've had FWD cars spin around in the snow when decelerating because the back end came around.
While more effect with chunk of iron over the front wheel, front wheel drive has the advantage of thrust vectoring. Within the steering range, you can keep the thrust going the way you want to go, not the way the car is pointing. Very handy when dealing with hills and banks.
High crown roads can send the front end towards the ditch because of torque steering. Likely to be more pronounced with an EV. As with any system there are always compromises.

Reactions: mongo
Depends on what "better" means. I've had FWD cars spin around in the snow when decelerating because the back end came around.

Front end is better at stopping than the back... I did that a couple times as a younger driver with a manual in a lower gear, one of the reasons I dislike FWD automatics (clutch is so handy to remove engine torque).

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
EVgo launches first public 350-kw fast charger

evgo-350-kw-dc-fast-charge-station-baker-calif_100683266_l.jpg

GM cutting 50 jobs at U.S. battery plant tied to Chevy Volt

I guess GM is not redirecting battery pack capacity from the Volt to the Bolt.
In my opinion, the tax credit reduction from hitting 200,000 will hurt GM far more than it will Tesla just because of shear volume. I think one of two things will happen. 1) GM rallies resources to push hard and heavy for an extension of the tax credit or 2) they will phase out their electric vehicle efforts. I really don't think they will be willing to take the significant losses inevitable to ramp up battery and vehicle production to make it a truly viable product line moving forward. Time will tell I guess but GM is just starting to get a taste of what Tesla already went through to get to the position that they are in within the EV marketplace.

Dan

Reactions: lklundin

One interesting tidbit is that this station reduces/buffers its own power consumption with a 88 kWh battery bank of used (BMW i3) batteries (and 20 kW of PV).

I have to imagine that stationary use of retired BEV battery packs will become a new revenue stream (something for which Tesla is optimally positioned).

PS. I guess 88 kWh could come from four 22 kWh i3 packs.
PPS. Let's say that one day Tesla creates a new 2170-cell based battery pack compatible with the current Model S/X. Any owner of a 18650-based Model S/X could then pay for the upgrade, getting a discount for the old battery (depending on its capacity), which could then be put into use by Tesla right away in one of their utility-sized, stationary batteries. This would make their margins look even better.

Last edited:
or 2) they will phase out their electric vehicle efforts. I really don't think they will be willing to take the significant losses inevitable to ramp up battery and vehicle production to make it a truly viable product line moving forward.

GM may very well put their BEV efforts in the USA on hiatus, use banked ZEV credits plus buy some from Tesla, while continuing BEV efforts in China.

I don't know the exact percentage GM must sell of New Energy Vehicles in China but it is significant. The top line number is 12% for 2019 but there are a bunch of credits they get for less polluting vehicles and production processes that reduces that number.

Once most/all OEMs have exhausted their Federal PEV credits then GM returns with BEVs for the USA that they have been refining in China. GM sold 4M vehicles in China in 2017. They will meet Chinese NEV requirements, GM can not bail on Chinese market.

GM cutting 50 jobs at U.S. battery plant tied to Chevy Volt

I guess GM is not redirecting battery pack capacity from the Volt to the Bolt.
Goddammit, GM...

Why do all the other car companies keep failing harder and faster than Tesla? I mean, at this point Tesla can make enormous, enormous mistakes and still be the leading car company in the world just because everyone else is making bigger mistakes. Even the Chinese car companies are making cars with batteries which are too small, making hybrids, failing to mass produce... and the traditional legacy companies are doing so much worse!

I know people who would rather buy anyone else's electric car due to Tesla's rather infamous lack of service support out here, but *they're buying Teslas anyway because what else is there*. This is an insane competitive position. I've never seen the likes of it.

Xpeng, the admitted and avowed Tesla clone, may be the most serious Tesla competitor out there!

IIHS' highest safety picks double even as bar rises again

Teslas don't qualify for IIHS Top Safety Pick Plus because they don't have articulating headlights. Tesla refuses to nominate Teslas for rating (Teslas would probably get Top Safety Pick) because they can't get the highest rating. Hmmm.

Or headlight washers. Although as usual, I think those in San Jose are blissfully unaware of how important those are.

Reactions: neroden
So here's an interesting point. Musk and Tesla management in general seem pretty relaxed right now. All the internal leaks from the company are positive, and have been for about a month. The company has been quiet.

Meanwhile, the FUD has ramped up, macroeconomic factors look terrible, and the stock has been driven down. The good news stories (Giga 3 actually under construction, high production rates, Giga 2 ramping up, converts to be paid at least half with cash, etc.) are not making a splash.

If I'm not mistaken, this is a setup. We recognize that good news is coming out of Tesla; the market will only recognize it after the news comes out. I think I've seen this sort of setup before.

Status
Not open for further replies.