Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a VIN in the 2800s that got delivered before end of quarter: Tesla owner configurations begin

That's the highest VIN number that I heard of for a delivery that got completed in Q4. (Heard something about a VIN in the 3000s but I think that was an assigned VIN, not a delivery).
And yet, several who configured cars in November, still have not taken delivery (myself included). My suspicion is that San Diego and Bay Area non-employees are getting their cars while people in greater Los Angeles area are delayed due to many SpaceX employees still taking delivery.
Total speculation but, just an assumption that average SpaceX worker makes a bit more than average Tesla-Fremont worker or Tesla Sales Associate. The former, configured cars at ~$50k while the latter are waiting for the shorter-range ~$40k options. So, folks like me haven't received a delivery date yet because the SpaceX orders are still being filled. If so, good for Tesla. Less good for me of course.
Either that or Tesla really hasn't delivered more than 1500 this quarter due to continuing bottlenecks, despite the seemingly high VIN count.
Tomorrow I'll contact my DS and try to figure out if any of this speculation is real. All I know is it's been 6 weeks since I sent Tesla the $ to build my Model 3 and haven't even received a VIN.

In my view, it would be really helpful for analysts and members of the media to read the transcript from the Q3 earnings call. Lots of important info, especially around the lack of clarity for Q4 M3 production. Here is a helpful portion (Elon seems to be stating that they will not have a few thousand produced in Q4. So, seems very odd that even folks like Munster are saying projections were at 5,200):

Rod Lache - Deutsche Bank Securities, Inc.

Is that why – I guess, yeah off of a low number but are you getting to a few thousand per week already by the end of this year or did you mean to say that you'll have a few thousand produced in total by the year-end?

Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla, Inc.

Oh, no, no. Again, it's really tricky because of that being exponential. If you were to move the calendar date by plus or minus a few weeks, you'd see gigantic differences in weekly output. But what I meant is something like a few thousand units per week at the end of Q4.

Okay.

But there's (47:56), if you said okay, what about a few weeks after Q4? I'd say, yeah, definitely. So, it's just going to be very, very – rising very, very sharply at that time.

Deepak Ahuja - Tesla, Inc.

To be clear, Elon is not going to provide guidance. He's just giving – you are giving...

This is my guess.

Exactly.

It will be (48:16) vertical climb here, it's like – from one moment to the next (48:22).

It sounds like you'll be able to provide some pretty high confidence update on the fourth quarter earnings call.

Jeffrey B. Straubel - Tesla, Inc.

Yes.

For sure. Yes. Absolutely.

Jeffrey B. Straubel - Tesla, Inc.

Yeah.

Even with the deliveries announcements, we'll have some feedback for you as we mentioned...”

Delivery completed. AMAZING. I'm loading up the truck to get some more shares. If Tesla delivers 250,000 Model 3, they double the size of their fleet in a single year. If they manage to sell 400,000 cars, then the world will be on fire for Tesla.

I'm as convinced as the day I purchased my first shares in 2012 and put $5,000 deposit down on the Model S. It's like "I know something you don't know . . ." The FUD is about to evaporate, and quickly.

Model 3 is a much more affordable car. Autopilot 2 is KILLER. LA to San Diego and back on a single charge.

Magic all around.

No, auto rain-sensing wipers OTA is serious. First of all, this is an industry first - technology wise. No other car brand has production vehicles with vision-based rain sensing. Why is this big, except for the news itself? Because the capability can improve OTA! I literally hate my AP1 rain sensing feature. It wipes when I don't want it to, and vice versa. Hella crap. And I'm 100 % certain the FW/SW won't improve OTA.

Second: It even gets me thinking about trading in my AP1 Model S for an AP2 car. AP2 cars have now practically reached parity with AP1 cars. Slight differences, yes, but there's no *important* missing features in AP2 anymore*. So when an OTA feature gets me thinking about buying a new car, I think it's big. Of course, I'm a nerd. So there's that.

*Yes, there's no 'speed limit sign recognition', no animation of veichles in adjacent lanes unless you're using your blinkers etc. These are peanuts. Peanuts

Agree. I’ve seen the progress of AP2 relative to AP1 first-hand. I am really thinking hard about trading in my AP1 S for an AP2-2.5 car.

I suspect I will probably stick with a new S or X, Assuming they do not alter the autopilot stalk too much. I like to control my AP speed and distance on that stalk, especially since I am a right lane driver and have to let cars in from the on-ramp. For now, AP doesn’t have “courtesy” built into it’s algorithm... so if I don’t manually drop the speed down or open the car distance as a car needs to merge (not when they are actually merging, AP does a decent job with this) I would be a total jerk. Looks like that bit of AP control may be harder to change on the fly in a 3 (screen controlled from what I’ve seen).

Delivery completed. AMAZING. I'm loading up the truck to get some more shares. If Tesla delivers 250,000 Model 3, they double the size of their fleet in a single year. If they manage to sell 400,000 cars, then the world will be on fire for Tesla.

I'm as convinced as the day I purchased my first shares in 2012 and put $5,000 deposit down on the Model S. It's like "I know something you don't know . . ." The FUD is about to evaporate, and quickly.

Model 3 is a much more affordable car. Autopilot 2 is KILLER. LA to San Diego and back on a single charge.

Magic all around.
I received my Model 3 from Marina Del Rey on 12/29. I already have about 400 miles on it. I agree with you. I feel very secure about my TSLA investment. This car will turn the auto industry upside down. It is a frickin' amazing car at any price, it makes any car (other than Tesla) a laughing stock. Yet, I do prefer my Model S for size and ride comfort. I will have my Model S up for sale on ebay starting Friday. Why? Because I plan to buy a new Model S and then I will sell my Model 3 in March.

And yet, several who configured cars in November, still have not taken delivery (myself included). My suspicion is that San Diego and Bay Area non-employees are getting their cars while people in greater Los Angeles area are delayed due to many SpaceX employees still taking delivery.
Total speculation but, just an assumption that average SpaceX worker makes a bit more than average Tesla-Fremont worker or Tesla Sales Associate. The former, configured cars at ~$50k while the latter are waiting for the shorter-range ~$40k options. So, folks like me haven't received a delivery date yet because the SpaceX orders are still being filled. If so, good for Tesla. Less good for me of course.
Either that or Tesla really hasn't delivered more than 1500 this quarter due to continuing bottlenecks, despite the seemingly high VIN count.
Tomorrow I'll contact my DS and try to figure out if any of this speculation is real. All I know is it's been 6 weeks since I sent Tesla the $ to build my Model 3 and haven't even received a VIN.
But there are tons of Marina Del Rey deliveries to non employees. Probably hundreds this past week.

It's just as speculative and thus a guess as what the bears stated as facts. The issue with the bears doing that is that with intent to cause fear, uncertainty and doubt with out actual proof. And it really doesn't matter because as neo clearly pointed out, the issues seemed to have cleared which had opened up more deliveries and allows for continued growth up the S curve. Who cars is Tesla had to set aside a few hundred cars waiting for a part, if the goal of dialing in production is accomplished in party by doing so?

You bears like to conflate non issues into much more then is there based on made up facts. For example, you like to keep saying that people on this forum said Tesla was going to deliver x cars by the end of the year and it didn't happen so the company is worth 0, blah, blah, blah. When in fact, what really matters, is that Tesla continues to ramp production and shows GM of 20%+. Nothing else matters no matter how much you want it to. Shorts are betting the ramp will never happen and if it does, the cars will cost more to make then they can sell them for. Longs bet that Tesla will ramp in a reasonable amount of time and there will be good to great margins.

Time is short for shorts. Before you know, Elon will be rolling out the model Y for another billion dollar free loan from reservation holders. Then shortly after that, the Tesla pickup for another couple of billion in free money from reservation holders. And on and on and on until you guys throw in the towel and go long.

"The issue with the bears doing that is that with intent to cause fear, uncertainty and doubt with out actual proof."

here's an article from exactly 1 year ago today:

Tesla Motors Inc: 60% Upside For TSLA Stock In 2017? - BNL Finance

Here Baird says 60% upside because:

-- "Chinese research firm KGI cited channel checks to conclude that Tesla Motors is ramping production and strengthening automation to ensure the company hits its 2nd-half 2017 production target of 100,000 units of the Model 3"

-- "Kallo believes “Tesla Energy” is not priced into TSLA stock and he figures the company can beat Model 3 expectations"

-- "Kallo has an ‘Outperform’ rating on Tesla stock with a price target of $338, which implies upside of nearly 60%. Clearly, Baird and Kallo are very bullish on TSLA stock, and quite frankly, they have reason for optimism.
The Gigafactory is complete."

-- "BNL Finance previously concluded that Tesla Energy and the company’s solar roof ambitions could end up being a “game-changer” for TLSA stock."

so, @Reciprocity says: "The issue with the bears doing that is that with intent to cause fear, uncertainty and doubt with out actual proof."

well, let's see... is the Gigafactory "complete"?... was the Solar Roof a "game-changer"?... was Tesla Energy not correctly priced into the stock?... did Tesla deliver 100k M3s?...

NO... none of this happened... did bears make claims that none of that would happen?... YES... was it based on historical performance data... YES... were they right... YES.

and yet, the stock went up 60%.

@Reciprocity : "You bears like to conflate non issues into much more then is there based on made up facts."

is that so?... well, look at the "sentiment" 1 year ago today and the expectations that were supposed to be the driver for the stock... and now look at the facts.

the only thing that bears are wrong about is the stock price... not the company.

"The issue with the bears doing that is that with intent to cause fear, uncertainty and doubt with out actual proof."

here's an article from exactly 1 year ago today:

Tesla Motors Inc: 60% Upside For TSLA Stock In 2017? - BNL Finance

Here Baird says 60% upside because:

-- "Chinese research firm KGI cited channel checks to conclude that Tesla Motors is ramping production and strengthening automation to ensure the company hits its 2nd-half 2017 production target of 100,000 units of the Model 3"

-- "Kallo believes “Tesla Energy” is not priced into TSLA stock and he figures the company can beat Model 3 expectations"

-- "Kallo has an ‘Outperform’ rating on Tesla stock with a price target of $338, which implies upside of nearly 60%. Clearly, Baird and Kallo are very bullish on TSLA stock, and quite frankly, they have reason for optimism.
The Gigafactory is complete."

-- "BNL Finance previously concluded that Tesla Energy and the company’s solar roof ambitions could end up being a “game-changer” for TLSA stock."

so, @Reciprocity says: "The issue with the bears doing that is that with intent to cause fear, uncertainty and doubt with out actual proof."

well, let's see... is the Gigafactory "complete"?... was the Solar Roof a "game-changer"?... was Tesla Energy not correctly priced into the stock?... did Tesla deliver 100k M3s?...

NO... none of this happened... did bears make claims that none of that would happen?... YES... was it based on historical performance data... YES... were they right... YES.

and yet, the stock went up 60%.

@Reciprocity : "You bears like to conflate non issues into much more then is there based on made up facts."

is that so?... well, look at the "sentiment" 1 year ago today and the expectations that were supposed to be the driver for the stock... and now look at the facts.

the only thing that bears are wrong about is the stock price... not the company.

You know why I know none of that matters, because the stock was up 100% during the time period you keep whining about. Increase your short position if you feel it matters.

exaclty... that's the only real argument... "the stock is up... so everything must be good" Mod: deleted this post. --ggr

People have voted with their hard earned dollars, which means they agree with me and not you. So yes, everything is good because the stock is up. We longs believe Tesla will deliver, and you shorts believe they wont. We all have the same data to analyze to determine which is more likely and more people believe I am right then you. It doesnt mean I will be right, but I certainly am a believer. Instead posting dumb forum posts and clearly fudtastic articles, make a cogent, fact based argument as to why im wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.