Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reciprocity, though I haven't read the legislation, having read quite a number of discussions about the program for many years now, I've never seen any mention of an end date.
Couldn't find one either, but there must be one. I get the feeling they will extend the 200,000 anyway and instead set a date like 2022, but I was hoping to find a current date. The main reason is that it will be very bad for gm competing with foreign autos. I think the original idea came from @RobStark so I can't take the credit. Tesla is also a great example of how many jobs it helps create. Over 30k so far. Trump will want those to be US jobs, not German or Japanese jobs.

• Informative
Reactions: Yggdrasill
So I liquidated half my options this morning at $322 thinking that it was a smart idea. My plan was to wait for a drop and roll the leaps out to 2020 at a discount. Boy was I wrong! Good thing I kept an eye on the Naz and Dow, as soon as I saw it recovered and Tesla was popping back up to 325.xx I rebought and extended to 2020 leaps. Options are getting way too expensive for the volitlity we’re dealing with, for newbies I would not recommend options. I’m going to dig around for some money and buy more shares next week. I doubt that we will see a tarrif war, I give it less than a 5% chance of happening.

Trump to offer temporary tariff exemption for Canada and Mexico

From experience, when this forum starts to get negative, that’s a buy signal...

Edit: btw, if you’ve read my earlier posts dating back to 2014, I’ve been wrong on many occasions, short term. But what keeps my portfolio continuously growing, is that my investment mentality is always long-term. This allows me to make many incorrect short term guesses and still come out on top. Don’t bet, unless you can ride out the waves.

Last edited:
Regarding the trade war, it seems like Norway at least won't respond. We're a significant exporter of aluminium, but it's mostly going to Europe, and the effects are assessed to be fairly small. So, good news for Tesla.

Norwegian Aluminum Exports by Country

Norway%20alu%20export.jpg

{{ngMeta.title ? ngMeta.title : 'AlCircle'}}

US Aluminum Imports: Major Source Countries (%, Jan-Oct 2017)

Americas-New-Steel-and-Aluminum-Protectionism-2.jpg

America's New Steel And Aluminum Protectionism

Mod: I deleted @Starno's earlier post in this thread, with the explanation that I didn't want this "general discussion" thread filled up with posting predictions. You could post it in e.g. When Will Tesla Sustainably Produce 5,000 Model 3's Per Week?, or you can even start your own thread about Q1 shipping predictions. Note that by even discussing this decision I'm departing from normal moderation practice, so no more please. --ggr.

As suggested, I created a new thread. For all your predictions go in the 2018 Q1 poll thread.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV

You know, that car has decent specs in what looks to be a practical and reasonably attractive package. Apparently to have an MSRP of ~$39K... but that may be a shorter range version. Still pretty competitive for EV prices..

Hats of to Hyundai on the design if they deliver on that in a serious way.

I'd actually bet Elon would take that as good natured ribbing/competition, and would be pleased to see significant numbers of a vehicle like that sell...

Last edited:
"Don't set out to raze all shrines – you'll frighten men. Enshrine mediocrity, and the shrines are razed."
- The Fountainhead
- Ayn Rand

You know, that car has decent specs in what looks to be a practical and reasonably attractive package. Apparently to have an MSRP of ~$39K... but that may be a shorter range version. Still pretty competitive for EV prices..

Hats of to Hyundai on the design if they deliver on that in a serious way.

I'd actually bet Elon would take that as good natured ribbing/competition, and would be pleased to see significant numbers of a vehicle like that sell...

• Disagree
Reactions: azaz
"Don't set out to raze all shrines – you'll frighten men. Enshrine mediocrity, and the shrines are razed."
- The Fountainhead
- Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand is hardly anyone worth quoting. And that's putting it mildly.

Although I agree with your sentiment about Hyundai's effort, it's significantly more effort than most of the incumbent automanufacturers to date. Getting a B- is still above average.

Last edited:
Elon on Twitter:

Elon Musk
@elonmusk

Replying to @realDonaldTrump
Do you think the US & China should have equal & fair rules for cars? Meaning, same import duties, ownership constraints & other factors.

12:10pm · 8 Mar 2018 · Twitter for iPhone

Edit: This is just the start of a tweet storm on the subject. I suggest you all head over to twitter to check it out.

I'm kind of disappointed to see this tweet, because I take it to mean that negotiations to open a Tesla factory in China are not going well...

In early February, I got a total of close to one hundred "disagrees" for saying Elon's new comp plan did not protect shareholders in certain cases where Elon gets a billion dollars or more, when shareholders do not get a fair return on their money for taking orders of magnitude higher risk with their capital, rather than simply investing in the S&P 500 index, while suffering endless volatility, primarily because of the repeatedly missed timelines that only serve the purposes of those who want to see Tesla fail. Someone here even oddly told me to take my money and invest elsewhere, as if picking up my stuff and running away is the solution to Corporate America's widespread excessive CEO compensation problem. Not a single soul on TMC agreed with my position.

This week, both proxy agencies advised to vote against the Board's recommendation, which is an extremely rare occurrence (here and here).

If this does not prove that TMC has become an echo chamber, I don't know what does.

Status
Not open for further replies.